Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,794 times)

maledoro

maledoro

After several millennia of their whacky hijinks, theists can't eat what they've dished out.

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, it's just not cool, telling someone that something that makes them happy might not be a good idea. That's why we don't try to get friends and family away from heroine.

Oh, wait.

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 06, 2013, 05:38:28 AM
Eh, depends on the claim and how it's made. I'm perfectly capable of being civil and friendly while debating a Theist. I've had Mormons visit me maybe a dozen times in the last few years and some of those visits have been an hour long, and they all remained civil and friendly.

Please don't insinuate that I'm incapable of or unwilling to do this. When a Theist can present a claim to me in a calm and civil manner, they will get a similar response. Respect is key.

Edit: Elaborated on my earlier post to clarify.

Just curious as to why you would sit an hour with a visiting door to door morman if you aren't one yourself?  Are you that curious or are you looking for answers? 

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 06, 2013, 03:43:53 PM
Yeah, it's just not cool, telling someone that something that makes them happy might not be a good idea. That's why we don't try to get friends and family away from heroine.

Oh, wait.
Yes, religion is like heroine.  ::)

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: saintssinphony on Oct 06, 2013, 05:37:27 PM
Just curious as to why you would sit an hour with a visiting door to door morman if you aren't one yourself?  Are you that curious or are you looking for answers? 

They came to me and told me that they could improve my life and save my soul. That's a bold claim. If they were comfortable and confident enough with that claim, then they can stand to defend it as well.

It was an old woman and a fairly young one if that helps. I was more interested in the young ones take on it, since the old woman seemed to be the leader here.

I wanted to see how they would fair under questioning. Know what I got? Refusal to give direct responses to questions. After 20 minutes, we went from 'I have proof that God is real' to 'I know in my heart it's true because I've been married 50 years'. Everything after that was them on the defensive. They would answer a question with a story, I would ask them about the story, and they would make excuses for the specifics not adding up or being horrible. I had to really insist to keep them on one point. They just wanted to jump to this or that and keep changing the topic, because if you kept them on one point for more then a minute they started falling apart.

Ya really need to pin them down or you'll spend all day chasing them.

The old woman ended up getting pretty upset and leaving after I caught her in a logic trap (I was in no way rude to her, but she was getting steadily agitated at not being able to answer my questions) but the young woman was much better at listening and didn't have strong reactions. So I guess that was my goal, to maybe coax her to take a closer look at her beliefs.

As for the logic trap...

This has always been a winner for me.
Can God be wrong? They usually answer no.

Can God lie to us? They usually answer no.

God told Abraham to kill his son. As Abraham raised the knife, God appeared and told him not to.

Did God lie to Abraham and did not actually want him to kill his son, or did God change his mind and was mistaken?

Every time I've used this, they claim 'that's opinion' or 'your interpreting it wrong' and then try to get away from that point as quick as they can.
[close]

Quote from: BANE on Oct 06, 2013, 05:43:34 PM

Oh, wait.

Not exactly the same, just an example of the 'but it makes people happy' argument not working. Like it doesn't work here.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 06, 2013, 05:53:01 PM
Quote from: saintssinphony on Oct 06, 2013, 05:37:27 PM
As for the logic trap...

This has always been a winner for me.
Can God be wrong? They usually answer no.

Can God lie to us? They usually answer no.

God told Abraham to kill his son. As Abraham raised the knife, God appeared and told him not to.

Did God lie to Abraham and did not actually want him to kill his son, or did God change his mind and was mistaken?

Every time I've used this, they claim 'that's opinion' or 'your interpreting it wrong' and then try to get away from that point as quick as they can.
[close]
But you are interpreting it wrong...

Quote from: BANE on Oct 06, 2013, 05:43:34 PM

Oh, wait.

Not exactly the same, just an example of the 'but it makes people happy' argument not working. Like it doesn't work here.
I think it works.

Although it ceases to work when you kill each other or discriminate over it.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: BANE on Oct 06, 2013, 06:30:05 PM
But you are interpreting it wrong...

How so? I'm seriously curious for this, as a Theist has never been able to explain to me how I've misinterpreted it.

Valaquen

Valaquen

How so? I'm seriously curious for this, as a Theist has never been able to explain to me how I've misinterpreted it.
It's not that God flip-flopped or is a liar per se...

It's that he's a jealous rage-prone possessive asshole, and I can't see why people find the Abraham story endearing.

Sabby

Sabby

He still either changed his mind or lied, and the person your asking does not believe God is capable of doing either. That's the point. It's a broken situation they can't address without admitting a flaw in their story or their understanding of God, which many Theists are simply incapable of doing.

Either way, the conversation crashes there, and either ends or moves on. I've never met a Theist to hear this and say "Well, that's a hard one, I'll have to think about that" or "I'm not sure I know how to answer that". It's always "That's your opinion, moving on"

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Valaquen on Oct 06, 2013, 09:02:01 PMIt's not that God flip-flopped or is a liar per se...

It's that he's a jealous rage-prone possessive asshole, and I can't see why people find the Abraham story endearing.
...or any other story from the OT. (People tend to lose perspective when it comes to such stories like "Noah and the Ark". God killed millions of people, including children and babies and he also killed animals, including fluffy bunnies, kitties and puppies. Not to mention that he could have done something else besides kill off a planet's population.)

The word around the campfire is that he did it to test Abe. Granted, God is supposed to be omniscient (when it's convenient for his Bleevers), but that is forgotten when he allegedly puts someone to the test. You point this out to the Bleevers and they either come up with something convoluted, get angry and/or run foir cover.

There's plenty more whitewashing where that came from...

Sabby

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Oh, wait.

stfu

Sabby

Sabby

Oh boy... approach, my son.

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Sabby

Sabby

It's cool xD

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed