Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,791 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BANE on Sep 27, 2013, 01:55:26 AM
Well, alas, I appear to have confused my terms.

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/images/column/8108/simplejack.jpg

It is Nihilism I meant to say.

I'd rather be religious I think than be nihilistic. Believing in nothing almost sounds like you're giving up on life.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 27, 2013, 11:12:09 AMI'd rather be religious I think than be nihilistic. Believing in nothing almost sounds like you're giving up on life.
I'd rather choose the third option of not believing in nothing and not being religious.

Sabby

Sabby

Nihilism has always interested me. I don't find it nearly as bleak as people tend to perceive. Maybe I misunderstand, but doesn't it maintain that there is no inherent purpose or meaning in life, and that value and morals and goals and such are all created in the mind in order to add meaning to existence. That's not to say that things like morals are just wishy washy whims of the mind, and that all world views are equal, just that cells dividing is the only thing that happens in nature, and it takes a conscious mind to look back at itself and think 'why am I here?'.

In other news, MORE wonderful contributions to the world, thanks to indoctrination. Isn't God's plan majestic?

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Nihilism sounds exhausting.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 27, 2013, 12:27:19 PMI'd rather choose the third option of not believing in nothing and not being religious.

/doublehighfive

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Sep 28, 2013, 11:31:35 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 27, 2013, 12:27:19 PMI'd rather choose the third option of not believing in nothing and not being religious.

/doublehighfive
Ok, so yea, triple high five but if we don't believe in "nothing": nor believe in "religious connotations"... then just what the hell do we believe in?

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 29, 2013, 08:25:20 AM

/doublehighfive
Ok, so yea, triple high five but if we don't believe in "nothing": nor believe in "religious connotations"... then just what the hell do we believe in?

That we are born? That we die? That there is a period between? That we have a measure of influence on that period? That we live among side people who similarly live and die, and whose continued happiness and quality of life are dependant on similar things that your own is? That it's in your best interest to make the time you know you have worth it, and that improving the world for yourself and others is the best way to do that?

If you'd prefer to make all that second to a fairy tale that doesn't require as much personal responsibility, by all means, get Born Again.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 29, 2013, 09:54:12 AMThat we are born? That we die? That there is a period between? That we have a measure of influence on that period? That we live among side people who similarly live and die, and whose continued happiness and quality of life are dependant on similar things that your own is? That it's in your best interest to make the time you know you have worth it, and that improving the world for yourself and others is the best way to do that?

/octuplehighfive

Feeling the entirely natural and non-divine love over here.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 29, 2013, 08:25:20 AMOk, so yea, triple high five but if we don't believe in "nothing": nor believe in "religious connotations"... then just what the hell do we believe in?
As an example, here's a small list of humanist beliefs.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 29, 2013, 09:54:12 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 29, 2013, 08:25:20 AM

/doublehighfive

That we are born? That we die? That there is a period between? That we have a measure of influence on that period? That we live among side people who similarly live and die, and whose continued happiness and quality of life are dependant on similar things that your own is? That it's in your best interest to make the time you know you have worth it, and that improving the world for yourself and others is the best way to do that?
This sounds almost religious!

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BANE on Sep 29, 2013, 06:01:36 PMThis sounds almost religious!
Sometimes philosophy does.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 27, 2013, 11:12:09 AM
I'd rather be religious I think than be nihilistic. Believing in nothing almost sounds like you're giving up on life.
Read some Nietzsche, he makes the distinction between weak and strong nihilists. Weak nihilists see that values mean nothing to the universe, and they despair. A strong nihilist overcomes this despair and imposes his values and morals on an uncaring and impersonal universe. It's about moral willpower, not following morals because they are forced on you.

Sabby

Sabby

Does that mean a strong Nihilist could, much like God, just say something and decree it as moral, regardless of what it is?

I've never agreed with the assertion that morals are that wonky or that they need a concrete point of reference. Human suffering doesn't change, nor does the group dynamics that we evolved in. People can convince themselves of anything given time, and legitimate arguments can be made to make something moral in certain context, such as going to war for good reasons.

I realize it's impossible to discuss morality in black and white. It's a highly philosophical discussion. But I don't believe that anyone can simply say X and have X be true, or that if enough people were to believe X is right and moral, that would make X right and moral. It's by no means black and white, but it's not a damn rainbow where you can choose whatever.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 29, 2013, 07:21:24 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 27, 2013, 11:12:09 AM
Read some Nietzsche, he makes the distinction between weak and strong nihilists. Weak nihilists see that values mean nothing to the universe, and they despair. A strong nihilist overcomes this despair and imposes his values and morals on an uncaring and impersonal universe. It's about moral willpower, not following morals because they are forced on you.

Care to make some recommendations then in terms of reading material?

maledoro

maledoro

...and no, it doesn't mean saying bad things to religious people just for the hell of it. Clicky.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed