Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,402 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

QuoteBeware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Sabby

Sabby

Please explain to me how refusing to tolerate brainwashing and ignorance is arrogant.

whiterabbit

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Can't we all just be friends? D:

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 22, 2013, 01:05:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos#ws

Didn't actually know this guy before, but he already has a new fan. A view I can really respect.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 22, 2013, 05:02:49 PM

Didn't actually know this guy before, but he already has a new fan. A view I can really respect.
I've been a fan of Neil's for many years. But, he is more of an activist than he admits.

Sabby

Sabby

I understand why he'd like to distance himself from the baggage, but his reasoning here is kind of strange... he doesn't believe in a deity, so he's an Atheist. He's open to one, so he's an Agnostic Atheist.

I don't wanna be associated with Atheism Plus, but I don't distance myself from Atheism and Social Justice because of that.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Notice how he frowns on individuals using atheism like a vuvuzela to blast it in the faces of people who aren't atheist. Not saying there aren't individuals in religion in the world who do this, but in the current of events of this thread it has just been individual atheists at it.

He don't care if someone is atheist or not atheist, he just wants to live and let live because he cares a lot more about being a scientist. I like that. Why waste energy on this stuff when we can be doing so many other things, like going to Subway and talking about how beautiful the sunny weather is and about Grand Theft Auto V, who the hell wants to talk about "there is a God" or "there isn't a God"?

That guy has just inspired me to gtfo of this thread and go outside... as soon as the truck returns, and I should totally get a Subway sandwich.

Sabby

Sabby

It matters because he's saying he is not an Atheist. This is not the same thing as living and letting live and putting a higher value on his role as a scientist. Pointing out that he is in fact an Atheist is not blasting him in the face with an agenda not his own.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I was actually referring to you blasting a vuvuzela at us in this threads history.

Sabby

Sabby

I took issue with SM's incredibly offensive Trolling and used bad words. Please get over it.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Wait... so when you challenge religion's stance, it's all righteous and noble. But when we challenge the stance of you yourself... it's dismissed as trolling?

Wow.

I'm done, because I can see where this is going and am not interested.

Sabby

Sabby

I really have no idea how you and several others have taken the incident with the pictures and perceived it anything other then what actually happened. He compared a picture I posted with one of his own, and the comparison was very poor. I called this out, and you among others have latched onto this in the most baffling manner.

If you have an objection, try and make it one that doesn't make you look like a morally inept child. Don't just go 'lol, you just call everything who disagrees with you a Troll' and take off. It's childish and frankly embarrassing.

Get your account straight man before you accuse someone of something please.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 22, 2013, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 22, 2013, 05:02:49 PM

I've been a fan of Neil's for many years. But, he is more of an activist than he admits.
I posted the video because that is how I view the subject too. How can I put this, atheism needs religion. It's similar to Elie Wiesel's thoughts on indifference.

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death."

Atheism is not the opposite of religion; it is merely the reciprocal of theism. Indifference to believing or not believing is where Friedrich Nietzsche's "God is Dead" comes from. Thus for Atheism to exist there needs to exist people who believe in god(s). So Tyson's allusion to Atheism being a club for non believes to proactively voice their beliefs is true. He takes it once step forward with his golf analogy.

I do not believe in god; however I do not consider myself an atheist. I in no way desire to be associated with atheist either. I probably am an agnostic. That's because I'm not against there being a God. This is unavoidable as I do put strong emphasis on the probability of infinity. Such as the multiverse theory. Where a god, or something in the likeness of mankind's mind, is wholly allowed to exist in some universe. However, is there one here in our reality? More importantly is the one created by mankind here? My view is no. However does an almighty being rule over another universe? According to the law of infinity, yes.

My point is atheism's very existence is dependent on religion. It's just another club as Tyson pointed out. It is in it's purest form a belief system that isn't in any meaningful way different from any religion institution.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed