Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 211,794 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Cal427eb on Sep 15, 2013, 12:59:35 AM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 15, 2013, 12:57:34 AM
There is a lady who works in the bakery section of a local supermarket who wishes people a blessed day. I used to respond with things like, "May the mighty Zeus favor you and aid you in your endevours" or "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses."
How nice of you.
Compared to some of the other things I've overheard her say, I was very nice.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 14, 2013, 04:12:14 PM
I have a question for the Atheists here. How do you feel about phrases like "Thank God" and "Oh good Lord?"

I think we've reached a point in society now where the words are meaningless, quite honestly.

jeffchow

jeffchow

i'm catholic and like most Catholics i don't go to church i screw around drink and act a general prick
but like dara o'brien once said there's no such as a catholic atheist your just a bad catholic

ps

i think catholic guilt must only exist in the states

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Why not just abandon the religion altogether and simply love and respect your fellow man?

Sabby

Sabby

People leave religion in stages. It tends to go from "I'm Catholic just don't do the churchy stuff" to "I'm spiritual". Gotta hold onto that sense of connection with a higher plane, ya know?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If someone is truly spiritual, I wouldn't call it a higher plane per se but rather simply acknowledging there's more to life than meets the immediate eye.

Sabby

Sabby

Claiming to be spiritual is a bit of a cop out. Ask anyone who makes that claim what 'spiritual' means and you'll get a big bunch of nebulous nothing, if you get an answer at all. I

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 15, 2013, 06:00:36 AMIf someone is truly spiritual, I wouldn't call it a higher plane per se but rather simply acknowledging there's more to life than meets the immediate eye.
Such as?

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 15, 2013, 06:03:05 AM
Claiming to be spiritual is a bit of a cop out. Ask anyone who makes that claim what 'spiritual' means and you'll get a big bunch of nebulous nothing, if you get an answer at all.
Yep. And thanks to said "nebulous nothing", the dispenser can constantly shift their morals to suit the situation and pretend not to be hypocritical.

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, infuriates me to no end to try and talk to someone whose response to a simple question is to change the bloody subject.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 15, 2013, 01:17:05 PM
Yeah, infuriates me to no end to try and talk to someone whose response to a simple question is to change the bloody subject.
Religion is a very bloody subject.
;)

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

When it comes down to it, I do believe in the Christian God and I also follow a lot of the religion's principles. (Such as loving your fellow man and stuff like that.) But I don't doubt the very real possibility that God doesn't exist, and I don't hate people that aren't christian.

I do agree 100% that Christianity has become a contorted, horrible thing in some cases. Take for example that baptist church (I can't remember the name.) that goes around making anyone who isn't christian, straight or white feel awful about themselves with signs that say things like "God hates fags". I also firmly believe that organized religion in general is the cause of a great deal of death and misery.

Sabby

Sabby

Westboro Baptists. The thing, though, is that they're not really twisting Christianity (at least, I think that's their sect of choice, could be wrong) into something else, all their doing is focusing on parts of it aside from the generally nice stuff. Love your neighbor, be a good person, yeah, it's all there in the Bible, but those are things that are bred into social species, we didn't take them from a book.

I don't see anyone picketing farms for planting two seeds in the same hole, which is an abomination, or fighting to institute state regulations for the ownership and treatment of non Jewish slaves. That's all in the Bible. People love to quote the Love Thy Neighbor stuff, but they always neglect to mention the 'drag your son to the edge of town and hurl stones at his head until he dies for calling you a dick'. We reject that kind of bronze age savagery because we've gotten passed it, yet we make it a moral issue to keep it in writing because some parts of it are okay?

I know there are good Christians out there and that only the most deranged and brainwashed excuses for humanity would try and live by these rules, but simply ignoring these writings is not enough. Christians should be the ones upset at their Churches refusal to modernize.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 15, 2013, 01:10:45 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 15, 2013, 06:00:36 AMIf someone is truly spiritual, I wouldn't call it a higher plane per se but rather simply acknowledging there's more to life than meets the immediate eye.
Such as?

I'm more likely to believe in something like ghosts because I believe science can't explain everything even though it's a handy tool to use. I also believe in extra-terrestrial life for the same reason.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 15, 2013, 03:04:21 PM
Westboro Baptists. The thing, though, is that they're not really twisting Christianity (at least, I think that's their sect of choice, could be wrong) into something else, all their doing is focusing on parts of it aside from the generally nice stuff. Love your neighbor, be a good person, yeah, it's all there in the Bible, but those are things that are bred into social species, we didn't take them from a book.

I don't see anyone picketing farms for planting two seeds in the same hole, which is an abomination, or fighting to institute state regulations for the ownership and treatment of non Jewish slaves. That's all in the Bible. People love to quote the Love Thy Neighbor stuff, but they always neglect to mention the 'drag your son to the edge of town and hurl stones at his head until he dies for calling you a dick'. We reject that kind of bronze age savagery because we've gotten passed it, yet we make it a moral issue to keep it in writing because some parts of it are okay?

I know there are good Christians out there and that only the most deranged and brainwashed excuses for humanity would try and live by these rules, but simply ignoring these writings is not enough. Christians should be the ones upset at their Churches refusal to modernize.

Couldn't agree more. 

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 15, 2013, 03:19:12 PM
I'm more likely to believe in something like ghosts because I believe science can't explain everything even though it's a handy tool to use. I also believe in extra-terrestrial life for the same reason.

If science can't explain something, it simply means we can't comprehend it yet. No fault of science.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed