Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,397 times)

DC

DC

I'm not getting into a debate over a 4-word post that wasn't even meant to be taken as being serious in the first place. Not worth it. :-\

Sabby

Sabby

Sorry, I edited my post too late D= I know you were joking, I wasn't trying to imply you seriously thought Science is a Religion, just that many people actually do believe that.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Atheist. My family disregarded religion in the early 60's. My gran was a Catholic and my grandad was a Protestant. Their families didn't want them to marry so they eloped and religion's been absent ever since. My fiance is a Catholic, or was. Not anymore.

I like Einstein's pantheism, or how the Straight Dope explained the idea of a God:

QuoteThomas [Aquinas] has shown us a couple things. First, the distinction between a chronological first cause and a sustaining first cause is in fact crucial, as we'll see.

Second, although Thomas labors mightily in the Summa to establish the attributes of God, one of which is personhood, no one can seriously claim the result is a personal God — the warm and fuzzy but also detail-obsessed entity who, if you were Roman Catholic, would condemn you to eternal fire if you died unshriven after eating meat on Friday prior to 1962.

Thomas's work is considered the definitive explication of Catholic theology. From this we deduce that, from the standpoint of one of the world's great religions, an impersonal, abstract, and frankly mechanistic God is nonetheless God.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3021/is-there-a-god

"an impersonal, abstract, and frankly mechanistic God is nonetheless God" - so the Big Bang could be called God, even though it was simply a one-off, impersonal and non-anthropomorphic event with no consciousness, desires or grand plan of its own.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Valaquen on Sep 01, 2013, 03:28:52 PM
"an impersonal, abstract, and frankly mechanistic God is nonetheless God" - so the Big Bang could be called God, even though it was simply a one-off, impersonal and non-anthropomorphic event with no consciousness, desires or grand plan of its own.

To determine that, we'd have to settle on a definition for the word God, and if we even move onward from there and say The Big Bang is a God, it would still be a moot conclusion, as we'd have to drastically change, maybe even completely abandon what we consider a God to be in order to reach that.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I'm very much an atheist.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I haven't really seen any conversations about why 99% of the thread is atheist. Just sayin'

Aspie

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 01, 2013, 09:43:05 PM
I haven't really seen any conversations about why 99% of the thread is atheist. Just sayin'
So you want people to converse about why they don't believe in [G]od? The logic kind of presents itself.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Sweeper has a point.

What are you going to talk about?

"So yea... I don't believe in gods... yep."

Where do you go from there?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 03:11:09 PM
I've heard so many people call Atheism and Science 'a religion' with a completely straight face xD (not you, I'm pretty sure your kidding :)) Because, ya know... we believe in Evolution in exactly the same way that others believe in dirt being changed into a human being by spoken word 6000 years ago. They're both equally valid theories, you understand.
I hope you're kidding.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 01, 2013, 10:32:15 PM
I've heard so many people call Atheism and Science 'a religion' with a completely straight face xD (not you, I'm pretty sure your kidding :)) Because, ya know... we believe in Evolution in exactly the same way that others believe in dirt being changed into a human being by spoken word 6000 years ago. They're both equally valid theories, you understand.
I hope you're kidding.

I'm dead serious. People believe Atheism and Science are Religions.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 10:34:35 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 01, 2013, 10:32:15 PM
I hope you're kidding.
I'm dead serious. People believe Atheism and Science are Religions.
I know, but I was concerned about you. Thank you for clearing that up.
:)

Sabby

Sabby

Your concern is appreciated, but I am most assuredly in command of my faculties :P

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 01, 2013, 10:44:36 PM
Your concern is appreciated, but I am most assuredly in command of my faculties :P
On the Internet, it's kinda difficult knowing if one is ernst, especially when they say that Evolution and Creationism are "equally valid theories".
;)

Sabby

Sabby

I'll try harder to be transparantly sarcastic in the future :3

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed