Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 77,001 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 06:18:15 PM
Unpopular opinion, but of the limited stuff I've read, my favorite comic of Dark Horse's entire run has probably been Inhuman Condition.

Sacrifice still holds the place of favourite Alien comic for me but I 'm so glad when Inhuman Condition gets some recognition. It's story was f**ked up. But in a good, Alien way f**ked up

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 09:16:29 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 07:13:53 PM
sounds like it's time for tristan jones to make some friends at marvel

Preferably with a good writer this time around. Or, even better, with him as the writer.

I adored his art in Defiance but that was really all I cared for in the run.

he teased a project he pitched two years ago that would have been an alien: isolation sequel which "was meant to be amanda ripley after crashing a ship somewhere on lv426, discovering an ancient engineer facility or temple ruins"

obviously never came to fruition, probably because of the plans fox had for amanda at the time, but it would have been glorious to see

Idk about that. As for me, Engineers and Amanda Ripley does not sound as "hell yeah!" combination

Nightmare Asylum

Didn't Jones also have another idea for an alternate Alien sequel, using only the prequels, the original film, and Isolation as canon? Or is that the same project?

I feel like comics might also be a good medium, with the right creative team, to do a Shaw and Davd story set between Prometheus and Covenant.

ZoomersLivinLarge

ZoomersLivinLarge

Oh, Jesus. These are going to suck just like everything coming out of the Big Two. Its not just the capeshit either, everything Marvel is putting out is ass. Their Conan comic is like thumbscrews. Not that the smaller companies have been putting out gold either, but still at least DH was the Devil we knew.

And no, I don't care that this means we'll get to see Aliens vs Avengers or Predator vs X-Men. Because they're going to suck, with awful artwork and worse writing.

BlueMarsalis79

Yes he did indeed.

j0nesy

j0nesy

i'm cautious, like many, whether we'll be able to keep the dark tone and graphics we've enjoyed at dark horse, but i am rather excited at the talent marvel can pool from. even though i've been out of the loop with marvel comics for a long time, i'm a big fan of some of their more stylized artists: chris bachalo (who coincidentally did the artwork for aliens: infestation) and filipe andrade

overall though, despite feeling bummed because of my dark horse fondess, i'm trying to be optimistic, hoping for a future where marvel thinks they can make something of these series we love. makes me wonder if we can expect other news in 2021, besides marvel's first alien/predator runs

SM

Dark Horse did some great stuff.  And some - to be kind - mediocre stuff.  The change to Marvel depends on the writers and artists they hire.

Immortan Jonesy

I'll drink to that.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 02, 2020, 09:33:28 PM
I feel like comics might also be a good medium, with the right creative team, to do a Shaw and Davd story set between Prometheus and Covenant.

Top tier idea. I wanted "Alien Covenant - Origins" to be that story. And given I am a graphic guy, even better if it is in comic book form.  8)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: j0nesy on Jul 02, 2020, 10:02:14 PM
i'm cautious, like many, whether we'll be able to keep the dark tone and graphics we've enjoyed at dark horse, but i am rather excited at the talent marvel can pool from. even though i've been out of the loop with marvel comics for a long time, i'm a big fan of some of their more stylized artists: chris bachalo (who coincidentally did the artwork for aliens: infestation) and filipe andrade

overall though, despite feeling bummed because of my dark horse fondess, i'm trying to be optimistic, hoping for a future where marvel thinks they can make something of these series we love. makes me wonder if we can expect other news in 2021, besides marvel's first alien/predator runs

Optimism is all we got baby!  :)  Sure this one stings, and I thought DH might have it until 2022, but here's to hoping for the best!

What I'm really curious about is where they take Alien and AvP.  Predator vesus superhero take-your-pick was the only approach obvious to me.

j0nesy

waiting for that "predator vs howard the duck" crossover  :P

Voodoo Magic

:laugh:

Well we did get Archie vs Predator.

Saddo

I'm so sad about this. Absolutely loved what Dark Horse was doing, expecting to hear that Disney has scrapped it all.

T Dog

So can Dark Horse still reprint their old series then? I'm curious to know what this means for the future of "The Essential Collections" they were doing.

SM

No I don't believe DH will be able to reprint their old stuff.  They can't reprint their old SW stuff.

T Dog

Quote from: SM on Jul 02, 2020, 10:46:05 PM
No I don't believe DH will be able to reprint their old stuff.  They can't reprint their old SW stuff.
Crap! I missed out on Aliens Omnibus 4 and was hoping to get those stories in a future  Essentials Collection.

426Buddy

It actually really hurts, I was dreading this happening but I didn't realize how upset it would make me. Doesn't matter who the license went to either. I haven't read comics since I was a kid and even then I wasn't really into them that much.

Except Dark Horse Alien/Predator/AvP comics. I can't even articulate how special they were to me. I loved the films from a really young age, they are among some of my first memories actually, at least Aliens. When I discovered Alien comics that was it, in love. I know that all sounds dumb but it's true.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed