Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 02, 2024, 09:03:57 AM

Do you care about canon?

Yes
27 (64.3%)
No
15 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author
Do you care about canon? (Read 4,238 times)

E. Shaw

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 03, 2024, 07:53:32 AMIt's why do you care what Fox/Studios/Disney considers as canon?

I don't.

Because I run entirely on an ever shifting headcanon, not whichever parts a marketing division decides are "real". It's more fun that way.

SM

SM

Has Disney even defined what is canon now? When I worked with Fox the unwritten rule was publicly avoid the topic and let people think what they like. Internally it was a little stricter to try and maintain some semblance of continuity.

solace97

solace97

I think everyone's pretty much nailed this. I feel like there's a common core every fan believes but with all the new entires in both franchises it makes it kind of go off the rails so people are forced to pick and choose their own canon and that's kind of what I do.

Sidebar I saw someone say they wanted to see another AVP. I do hope they take another go at an AVP but honor each species properly versus making it a giant action flick. It has the potential of a great storyline but they can't just throw the species on the screen and say have at it. Oh and for god sakes set it in the future with colonial marines and not on earth anymore

SM

SM

People are indeed forced to pick and choose. They did AvP as, effectively, prequels to Alien by including Weyland and Yutani. Ridley went 'nah' and did something different. Now it looks like Hawley is doing something different again. Even if your mindset is 'just the films/TV are canon' - well, which ones?

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SM on Apr 03, 2024, 09:42:55 PMPeople are indeed forced to pick and choose. They did AvP as, effectively, prequels to Alien by including Weyland and Yutani. Ridley went 'nah' and did something different. Now it looks like Hawley is doing something different again. Even if your mindset is 'just the films/TV are canon' - well, which ones?

THIS.

And it *could* be somewhat problematic; Let's just imagine (hope) that Romulus is amazing, and a movie worthy of sitting alongside as a companion to the original trilogy. And then the TV series goes above and beyond all expectations and is brilliant, and (as the creator has stated) it ignores the prequels. Those who weren't keen on David creating the alien rejoices, TV series + original movie is their preferred timeline..except we know Romulus does indeed reference both the prequels, the Prometheus and the pathogen... so then you *may* be forced to choose between an awesome TV show, and an awesome movie when it comes to 'the facts if what happened' (narratively speaking I mean, of course, there's nothing stopping you enjoying both as entertainment, along with the prequels, but from a "this is what happened" perspective, it gets wooly. And those kinds of contradictions can severely impact suspension of disbelief (egg aside, look at how upset people are at something as simple as incorrect cryotubes in Alien 3) - people are fine with acid bleeding monsters that grow inside a host, faster than light travel and cassette futurism... so long as that universe makes sense into itself. Contradictions break the immersion ( @Corp. Hicks i think this also pretty much sums up how I'd answer your question regarding Colonial Marines) 😊 it's not about a particular story being good or bad, it's more "do I believe this happened within my movie universe" - look no further than these forums at how people are already getting upset at the prospect of big chap being found in space. Canon is *supposed* to lay clear foundations of what is 'truth' in the story, and what are merely 'what-ifs'. Canon *should* be important, but as studios don't always give it the respect it deserves, it's always going to fall to fans to assert their own interpretation of canon.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Of course I care!  It even being a question that allows people to say no with impunity is sending me into a moral panic! >:(

SM

SM

Canon ultimately only really matters in terms of a common point of reference for nerds like us.

If the TV show comes out and is great, 99.9% of people aren't going to care about David's shenanigans.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2024, 12:01:02 AMCanon ultimately only really matters in terms of a common point of reference for nerds like us.
I think this is the extent that I care about some officially sanctioned canon. A line one can draw in the sand and say "If we're going to ask questions, here's the available information to draw answers from, and here's what we can ignore".

Outside of that, I don't really care.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

God, I miss the canon wars of old.  They were downright Homeric in their epic scope.

solace97

solace97

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2024, 12:01:02 AMCanon ultimately only really matters in terms of a common point of reference for nerds like us.

I prefer the term alien/predatoroligist Myself.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 04, 2024, 12:18:29 AMGod, I miss the canon wars of old.  They were downright Homeric in their epic scope.

It's a game for the young.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I stopped paying attention to what Fox (or Disney or anybody else) says about canon after MRPH drug up the old quote of the guy Fox allocated to DH saying that all the EU was canon.  This was pre prequels, might've even been before AVP, but post Alien Res. 

I was like what? 

You mean the comics are canon?  The same ones that have Aliens on earth?  Why would WY go out of business looking for them and allow themselves to be bought out by wally world when at that point there were infestations across the galaxy, and why didn't the governments on earth tell its successor the USM about the GLOBAL INFESTATION so it didn't waste its time cloning Ripley? 

They tried to cover that mistake off with an Alien Resurrection era big deletion of knowledge, but nobody is going to forget about the Aliens that took over the planet in just 200 years time.......especially with the Aliens STILL ON EARTH. 

The silly idgits. 

Had it been run like George Lucas era Star Wars EU, I might've had differing opinions about it.  They had essentially lore masters overseeing everything to make sure it didn't get jumble f**ked. 

SM

SM

I think there are possibly ways to have the knowledge of the Alien on Earth erased. It was being floated at Fox before Disney took over.  The term 'memory hole' was being used.  Dunno if we could've pulled it off, and kinda glad we didn't need to.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Apr 04, 2024, 03:26:23 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 04, 2024, 12:18:29 AMGod, I miss the canon wars of old.  They were downright Homeric in their epic scope.

It's a game for the young.
Ain't nobody got time for it now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed