New Alien Film Encyclopedia from Titan coming October 2022

Started by Engineer, Mar 29, 2022, 10:01:41 PM

Author
New Alien Film Encyclopedia from Titan coming October 2022 (Read 81,093 times)

Slutty Badger

Might as well declare this thing cancelled.

SM

SM

Fox suggested adapting the internal Alien Creative Bible into an Encyclopedia in 2019, then Disney took over.  I mentioned it to Titan afterwards, and they asked me to pitch - then never responded.  It wouldn't have been an 'in-universe' one like this though.

Even though it was against my own interest, I thought a hardcopy encyclopedia wasn't the greatest idea because it's static, while online resources that already exist are way more dynamic.  And free.

It is strange that this has been in the works for so long and still not done.  It must to to include the new film/TV content.  And possibly reconcile whatever the TV show is doing to continuity.

SiL

They were adamant they weren't changing it for Romulus, but unless that's no longer the case the book is outdated a year before it's released at this point.

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on May 04, 2024, 11:28:59 PMThey were adamant they weren't changing it for Romulus, but unless that's no longer the case the book is outdated a year before it's released at this point.

It wouldn't surprise me; every Star Trek encyclopaedia is horribly outdated before release... I guess that's how they keep you buying them. 😅

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on May 04, 2024, 11:28:59 PMThey were adamant they weren't changing it for Romulus, but unless that's no longer the case the book is outdated a year before it's released at this point.
Plans can always change.

It always seemed daft to me dropping it right around the time a new movie is set to release because, as you've said, it's immediately incomplete.

If it really is getting pushed back that far and they aren't putting some Romulus content in... well, that'd be a bizarre move to say the least.

Nightmare Asylum

Found the author's Twitter account and his mentions about the Encyclopedia, including a little writeup he did from back when the cover art was revealed. Nothing yet about the latest date change to next year

https://twitter.com/flashfilms/status/1586047667292950528

https://twitter.com/flashfilms/status/1612168150430404608

https://twitter.com/flashfilms/status/1721590654894252497

Also no posts, as far as I could tell from a few quick searches at least, about Romulus on his account.

Still Collating...

WTF is happening to this thing? This type of book shouldn't be that hard to create. The delay better incorporate the new movie at least, otherwise, in Ash's voice: "What's the point?". If it's adding in Romulus, they should be upfront with that. I don't understand what type of content are they putting in that is causing so many delays? And the cover art is meh, strange for an Alien Encyclopedia to have cover art resembling AVP2004 ancient symbols.

SM

It is weird since it's compiling other people's work rather than creating something from scratch. It can't be because it's not finished. Could be a Disney call to hold it up.

Maitland Eaves and I spent years writing an official app to accompany the RPG and as far as I heard it got caught up with all sorts of Disney shenanigans and only ended up going ahead unofficially.

Still Collating...

Don't remember which product had the same kinda problems with Disney being slow on the approval. It is strange though, since some other things like most of the original novels, don't get that treatment.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Still Collating... on May 06, 2024, 04:38:44 PMDon't remember which product had the same kinda problems with Disney being slow on the approval. It is strange though, since some other things like most of the original novels, don't get that treatment.

We were past Alien's 41st anniversary by the time we finally got the 40th Anniversary art book. But even that wait seems quaint compared to this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed