Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating)

Started by JaaayDee, May 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM

Author
Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating) (Read 207,354 times)

Valaquen

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 02:56:24 AM
I am starting to have a sour taste in my mouth after reading such fanboycentric negativity. I finally get it.
Excuse me, but what's with this attitude? People who didn't like the film are derided as "fanboys", or didn't get the film they'd built up in their heads? The only film I'd built up in my head was one that had scenes logically following the last, with music placed at the appropriate time. Editorially, the film is a complete mess after the first 30 minutes or so.

Cvalda

I am so glad we have these people who haven't even seen the film yet telling the people who have how wrong they are.

JaaayDee

Mark Kermode gives Prometheus a 7.5/10
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00td08y

Valaquen

I like Kermode, he did a good TDK review. He wasn't blinded by hype.

Gazz

Yeah me too. He's sometimes lets his opinion get in the way of his arguments (like his somewhat flawed comparing of the worst digital projection experience he's had with some of his best experiences with film projection to make a point) but we share a very many opinions. His Prometheus review is quite spot on.

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 02:56:24 AM
I am starting to have a sour taste in my mouth after reading such fanboycentric negativity. I finally get it.

we could say the same about keeping reading your comments about a film you havent seen when many of us now have...

now personally, i am one that will just enjoy a movie for what it is, i actually dont mind the avp films just because i saw them as not too serious popcorn fun, and thats what i got.

as another poster said, i liked tron legacy too.

i also really like alien 3 even though many hate it, i also dont mind alien resurrection not saying it isnt flawed but i still like it for the most part.

i also really wanted to love prometheus, i really did, and when watching it i was thinking well this isnt as bad as reviews have made out.... until it got about 3/4 through and then it just turned into a mess.

now you can disagree all you like, but at least take your own advice and watch it first, and you really should stop with the attitude and smart ass comments just because people dont live in your ridley can do no wrong bubble.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

I actually couldn't stand Tron Legacy, and Alien Resurrection....don't get me started about that waste of self parody and celluloid. And point taken, I haven't seen the film. I think what I'm experiencing (which is my own fault as I keep coming here) is not just 'I didn't like the film' rather it's 'what a mess, it was lazy, sloppy, etc....' when clearly we know Scott put his time into this and said how much he enjoyed making the film. That doesn't mean that we should like it because he put so much effort into it, I'm just a little disheartened that s many unfounded charges are being levelled. As I've said, often times people fault the art for them not liking it.

That being said, my apologies for the earlier post, I didn't intend to insult anyone per se. Sometimes I don't think before I write.

Jaime

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 03:01:56 PM
I actually couldn't stand Tron Legacy, and Alien Resurrection....don't get me started about that waste of self parody and celluloid. And point taken, I haven't seen the film. I think what I'm experiencing (which is my own fault as I keep coming here) is not just 'I didn't like the film' rather it's 'what a mess, it was lazy, sloppy, etc....' when clearly we know Scott put his time into this and said how much he enjoyed making the film. That doesn't mean that we should like it because he put so much effort into it, I'm just a little disheartened that s many unfounded charges are being levelled. As I've said, often times people fault the art for them not liking it.

That being said, my apologies for the earlier post, I didn't intend to insult anyone per se. Sometimes I don't think before I write.

Jaime

the charges are not unfounded, the editing is a shambles, the music is very very wrong and spoils the atmosphere in what should be horror/thriller moments, instead of silence or tension building scary music we get some stupid superman/indiana jones type jingle theme. character development is crap, story arcs are wasted, the movie is unoriginal, and the creatures are absolutely ridiculous.

a lot of it makes no sense and also makes a mockery of alien, other movies in the series and most importantly the alien life cycle is now just a confusing mess.

now as ive said before, before i saw the movie, i had reservations about the design element because a lot of it didnt fit in with the established franchise design, now i was prepared to ignore that because i understood why they had to make that choice, and that didnt affect the film at all, in fact the cinematocraphy, sets etc and 3d are just beautiful. but with all the other problems added to the non fitting designs, i honestly came out of the cinema feeling exactly as i did in 1999 after watching the phantom menace. ridley has done a george lucas in more wyas than 1, and yes, a lot of it is sloppy and lazy and unoriginal.

now you may totally disagree, and you may well love the movie, and thats your choice, youre welcome to your opinion but i will ask one thing of you, when youve seen the movie, come back and discuss it and be totally honest, dont defend it just to save face after all youve said. and dont try to defend things with bad logic or sarcastic remarks like you have in the past.

and seriously, i really hope you do love the movie and dont come away disappointed as many of us have, it still has plenty of good points, and  i really hpope ridley makes a much improved sequel that clears up some of the mess

thanks

rich

Ooze on First

I've noted a slightly irritating theme in some critic reviews.

They seem to be upset and even outraged that the movie is just 'really good' instead of being a world-shattering masterpiece.

It's one thing for nutty fan-boys to complain about 'un-met expectations', it's another thing entirely when paid movie critics allow such things to skew their reviews.

Shameful.

Darth Vile

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 03:19:37 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 03:01:56 PM

Jaime

the charges are not unfounded, the editing is a shambles, the music is very very wrong and spoils the atmosphere in what should be horror/thriller moments, instead of silence or tension building scary music we get some stupid superman/indiana jones type jingle theme. character development is crap, story arcs are wasted, the movie is unoriginal, and the creatures are absolutely ridiculous.

a lot of it makes no sense and also makes a mockery of alien, other movies in the series and most importantly the alien life cycle is now just a confusing mess.

now as ive said before, before i saw the movie, i had reservations about the design element because a lot of it didnt fit in with the established franchise design, now i was prepared to ignore that because i understood why they had to make that choice, and that didnt affect the film at all, in fact the cinematocraphy, sets etc and 3d are just beautiful. but with all the other problems added to the non fitting designs, i honestly came out of the cinema feeling exactly as i did in 1999 after watching the phantom menace. ridley has done a george lucas in more wyas than 1, and yes, a lot of it is sloppy and lazy and unoriginal.

now you may totally disagree, and you may well love the movie, and thats your choice, youre welcome to your opinion but i will ask one thing of you, when youve seen the movie, come back and discuss it and be totally honest, dont defend it just to save face after all youve said. and dont try to defend things with bad logic or sarcastic remarks like you have in the past.

and seriously, i really hope you do love the movie and dont come away disappointed as many of us have, it still has plenty of good points, and  i really hpope ridley makes a much improved sequel that clears up some of the mess

thanks

rich
What a blinkered view... ::)

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

@ Darth Vile

blinkered? whys that then? do explain, its honest. nothing blinkered about it, blinkered would be if i defended the indefensible and ignored flaws.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

"dont try to defend things with bad logic or sarcastic remarks like you have in the past."

Rich, respectfully, that's insulting. I have made some errors in judgement when it comes to things that I post, but I pride myself in the ability to apologize and own up to what I do. I would appreciate you keep those kinds of personal opinions to yourself.

Thanks,

Jaime

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 03:47:06 PM
"dont try to defend things with bad logic or sarcastic remarks like you have in the past."

Rich, respectfully, that's insulting. I have made some errors in judgement when it comes to things that I post, but I pride myself in the ability to apologize and own up to what I do. I would appreciate you keep those kinds of personal opinions to yourself.

Thanks

Jaime

its not insulting its true, you have done this many times, and i appreciate that you have apologised. and many of your comments have been insulting to many people, and youve done it again in this thread which has had to be pointed out to you by the moderators, it wasnt insulting, it was a request, as i would prefer you to come back and have a good convo instead of acting like you have been here wether you love the movie or dont.

and once again, i hope you enjoy the movie. i honeslty do as i see how much youve invested in your hopes in the build up.

thanks

rich

ThisBethesdaSea

Rich, keep your opinions about me, to yourself. Thanks. Everyone else can defend themselves. They don't need you. Thanks.

Valaquen

Stepping in: if anyone feels the need to retaliate, do it via PM. Thanks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed