Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 686,120 times)

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 11:36:32 AM
The novelization is tons better. I don't even know if I'm going to make it through to the fight scenes. I might just put AvPR on and try that.

Do you really think that the novelization of AvP is better than the movie? It's the most boring book I ever read. My faul, I've read it after watching the movie, it's not good way, but... I couldn't finish it. I agree, AvP it's boring movie, but compared with the book it's explosion of action.
One plus - We don't have to watch Lexx. Big relief.  ;)

In AvP: R we have such an accumulation of absurdities that it might be funny. If it were not pathetic. :-\

BloodyJungle

BloodyJungle

AvP:R is winning the poll?? that's just retarded, just like anyone who would vote for AvP:R!

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: BloodyJungle on Dec 13, 2009, 12:11:07 PM
AvP:R is winning the poll??
Yea, it is.
It's very sad, but it's true. :-\

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 11:36:32 AM
I'm watching AvP again and I'm starting to come around to AvPR being a better film. Anderson had this notion of taking things slow to build character development. That's not what we get. We've got 45 minutes of boring characters doing nothing really. We get no real sense of motivation behind these characters, Lance is severely underplayed and Woods...oh God is she dull. And a terrible actress. Her laugh!

The novelization is tons better. I don't even know if I'm going to make it through to the fight scenes. I might just put AvPR on and try that.

You'd have a point, but AvPR's action sequences manage to be less engaging as a general thing than AvP's character 'development'.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Can't say I agree. I've just watched AvPR for what seems like the first time in ages. The situations maybe cliched but the characters are better with better relationships which each other. There are some nicer shots in AvPR but it does still have it's flaws. The lighting, for one. The Alien designs are poor - overbite and Chet's design is far too busy around the head.

AvPR manages to respect the time length of the lifecyle until the introduction of the Chet-Hugger thing when it just goes to pot. Wolf is easily the star of the show though. I think it's a good movie for the Predator, just not for the Aliens.

I can pick out a lot of dialogue I would have trimmed or changed but that's Salerno for you. Over all I think it's far more enjoyable than AvP but it's still not the AvP film that we want.

And the reason I enjoyed the novelization more is I got a better understanding of the characters.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 02:09:51 PM
Can't say I agree. I've just watched AvPR for what seems like the first time in ages. The situations maybe cliched but the characters are better with better relationships which each other.

The thing about AvP is the characters don't have relationships, because they've just met. Their lack of chemistry sort of works on that level. AvPR doesn't only seemed forced in that regard, but the characters are supposed to have histories with one-another and this only comes across effectively a couple of times in the whole film.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 02:09:51 PMThere are some nicer shots in AvPR but it does still have it's flaws. The lighting, for one. The Alien designs are poor - overbite and Chet's design is far too busy around the head.

The Aliens seem far too... dinosaur. In every other movie, whether you liked or disliked the design, the creatures had a sort of bizarre, alien quality to them. It's like AvPR took the Alien and removed everything unearthly about it. As for Chet... being busy about the head is one of many offenses. If you ever got to see the bitch in full light, you'd notice that she doesn't really look Alien at all.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 02:09:51 PMAvPR manages to respect the time length of the lifecyle until the introduction of the Chet-Hugger thing when it just goes to pot. Wolf is easily the star of the show though. I think it's a good movie for the Predator, just not for the Aliens.

This was just discussed, I believe. In dumbing down the Aliens, you dumb down everyone who takes them on, Wolf especially. The original Predator didn't give me the feeling that Anytime could take on a bunch of Aliens and win - it gave me the feeling he would be clever enough to engineer a situation wherein he could take them on in equal terms, or at least survive.

AvPR just gives me the feeling that Wolf should've gotten his ass kicked time and time again.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 13, 2009, 02:09:51 PMI can pick out a lot of dialogue I would have trimmed or changed but that's Salerno for you. Over all I think it's far more enjoyable than AvP but it's still not the AvP film that we want.

AvP was severely disappointing due to the lack of action sequences. It was actually really good when the movie title was actually being played out on-screen - there was actual tension and twists within the two main battle sequences. If AvP had the pure volume of action we wanted and trimmed some of the boring character development (or a lot of it!), it probably would've been exactly what we wanted.
Say what you like, Celtic vs. Grid and Scar vs. Queen kicked shit out of any battle sequence in the second film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 13, 2009, 02:23:18 PM
The thing about AvP is the characters don't have relationships, because they've just met. Their lack of chemistry sort of works on that level. AvPR doesn't only seemed forced in that regard, but the characters are supposed to have histories with one-another and this only comes across effectively a couple of times in the whole film.

I know they'd just met which really worked against them. It doesn't work well. In all the Alien films we came into the situation with the characters having pre-established relationships and histories. Sure...Ripley started to become the outsider but that's where she represented the audience.

AvP didn't work for me because none of the characters knew each other. It was all just a mess of confusion. No development, well substantial development. They were boring.

QuoteAvP was severely disappointing due to the lack of action sequences. It was actually really good when the movie title was actually being played out on-screen - there was actual tension and twists within the two main battle sequences. If AvP had the pure volume of action we wanted and trimmed some of the boring character development (or a lot of it!), it probably would've been exactly what we wanted.
Say what you like, Celtic vs. Grid and Scar vs. Queen kicked shit out of any battle sequence in the second film.

I'm not arguing with that. I used to just get bored of the movie after about ten minutes, skip to the Celtic vs Grid, watch that and then turn off. But that single piece 5 minute or so sequence hardly makes the movie better for me - it was the best fight in the film IMHO. Lex helping Scar during the Queen fight wasn't cool.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Scar's air-time spear hit on the Queen makes it all worth it for me.

But yeah, we essentially needed way more of the Celtic vs. Grid battle scene stuff.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll give you that. It was a "Cool" moment.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 13, 2009, 03:09:41 PM
Scar's air-time spear hit on the Queen makes it all worth it for me.

See, that scene just made me go WTF. I mean, here's Scar: an over-blown, armoured up Pred that can't outrun a human (which is contrary to what we saw in the original movies), and yet...he pulls that agility out of nowhere and suddenly becomes a ninja!?!?!

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Still more impressive than anything combat-wise Requiem offered us.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Not really, considering how damn silly it was.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

I honestly don't see the silliness. Scar hadn't had much space to manoeuvre around in whilst down in the pyramid.

Seeing as how there wasn't a ceiling for him to crack his head open on like a douche, his 'ninja stab' was perfectly legit.

And we had seen his ninja abilities before! Remember when he cut that Alien's face off with one flick of his wrist? Without even seeing it?

Yeah.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What does manoeuvering have to do with it? I'm talking about the fact that he was a fat bastard who can barely keep up with a human, yet he's supposed to be the physically superior species.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 13, 2009, 08:40:28 PM
What does manoeuvering have to do with it? I'm talking about the fact that he was a fat bastard who can barely keep up with a human, yet he's supposed to be the physically superior species.

Which human(s) are you thinking of?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed