Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 248,648 times)

SM

SM

The only Alien flicks with what could be called 'minimal budgets' were the AvP movies.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 19, 2018, 10:17:41 PM
The only Alien flicks with what could be called 'minimal budgets' were the AvP movies.

True, if I remember correctly, AVPR's budget was less than half of Covenant. I doubt we'll see actors on a stage with outfits and weapons made from construction paper and shouting their own sound effects like "bang bang!" All the while, Ridley is filming everything with an old video camera from 1997 and yelling "brilliant!"

I hope they get on this quick though. It's time to "put an amen" to these prequels.

SM

You could still make a decent Alien flick on a reduced budget, but I feel if you go sub-$80m these days it could really start to show.

Baron Von Marlon

Most actors were known faces. Cutting down on those should reduce the budget.
Waterston is left but she's going the Shaw way. So I doubt she'll get a lot of screentime.
McBride can be killed off. Leaving Fassy as the only known name.

Can't be that difficult to find cheap but good talent to complete the rest of the cast.

Anyway, I think it'll be ok.

Sidenote: Anyone see The Creature Below? Decent Lovecraftian horror made for only 16 000£.
Shows what people can do when they have enough passion and squeeze every penny.

SM

It's not just the cast.

AvP:R didn't have any big names, but look at how the creatures effects came off in that film.  ADI are masters of their craft, but they can be undone by bad performances, cinematography and editing.

whiterabbit

By substantially reduce budget I take that to mean 50 Million. I don't know, I think that might actually help Ridley to focus on making a good movie and prevent his mind from wondering off.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2018, 12:41:27 AM
It's not just the cast.

AvP:R didn't have any big names, but look at how the creatures effects came off in that film.  ADI are masters of their craft, but they can be undone by bad performances, cinematography and editing.

Can't comment on AvP:R. Only saw it once and I'm lucky enough I barely remember anything from that movie.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 20, 2018, 01:04:39 AM
By substantially reduce budget I take that to mean 50 Million. I don't know, I think that might actually help Ridley to focus on making a good movie and prevent his mind from wondering off.

Exactly. With this 'reduced budget' they've forced Scott and his writers to get a top notch script to focus on David and possibly Walter (if the Walter character is used again) and make sure to squeeze every penny and show it on screen via miniature models, cheating sets, creative camera angles/use of various lenses,  lightning, use of practicals, man in suit for the Xeno and two or three military engineers (that's if they show up with Walter ) to wreck havoc on the Covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

As I believe I stated before in this very thread, the original Alien- even adjusted for inflation didn't have a massive budget.
RS was only able to convince FOX to double the budget part-way through production, if the script and execution is as good there's no reason something similar couldn't happen again.

0321recon

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 20, 2018, 01:52:04 AM
As I believe I stated before in this very thread, the original Alien- even adjusted for inflation didn't have a massive budget.
RS was only able to convince FOX to double the budget part-way through production, if the script and execution is as good there's no reason something similar couldn't happen again.

I totally agree. It all will depend on the script and how that translates into the dailies. Perhaps that is the reason why we haven't heard anything. They're trying to fine tune that script to get it in shooting form.

SM

Alien had a decent budget for its time.  The average budget in 1978 was around $5m, so even before Fox bumped it up based on the storyboards, it was decent.

Baron Von Marlon

Wouldn't mind an additional kickstarter campaign. Who wouldn't like their name in the credits of an Alien movie.
Even without I'd gladly donate.

SM

Crowd funding for one of the richest corporations in the world?

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Jul 20, 2018, 02:59:56 AM
Crowd funding for one of the richest corporations in the world?

If a bigger budget would result in a better movie, why not?

SM

Because it's ridiculous?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed