The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,511 times)

The Alien Predator

They were meant to be, but Tim Lebbon got the dates wrong. The prologue was in 2351 while Sea of Sorrows ends in 2497.

Corporal Hicks

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/tim-lebbon-interview-predator-incursion/

QuoteAvPGalaxy – The prologue for Predator – Incursion is set in 2351 which takes place before Alien Resurrection (2380) and before the events of Aliens – Sea of Sorrows (2497) which the prologue seems to reference. Was this a mistake or is there something more going on behind this we don't know yet?

Tim Lebbon – Curious.  Here's where my memory is tested.  Earlier drafts of the final novel had the prologue taking place much later (2428), but it was changed in the edit.  It would still have been earlier than Sea of Sorrows.  Also, my original draft had the Prologue actually taking place aboard Auriga, but that was changed in subsequent drafts (probably due to the Alien 5 announcement, although I can't be certain of that ... again, my dodgy memory).  So ... I have to admit to the date discrepancy probably being a mistake rather than a hint of something larger at play.  It should have been picked up in the edit and proofing.  Mea culpa.

AvPGalaxy – Can you tell us a little more about that original opening on the Auriga? Did it feature Liliya stealing data from Wren and Gedimen instead?

Tim Lebbon – No one was named, but yes, it featured Liliya stealing the research from Auriga and actually being the cause of the Xenomorph escape on that ship.  It was a fun scene because it mentioned the Ripley clone – though she was never seen – and fans might have enjoyed a few references to Resurrection.  But it works better as it is now.

predxeno

It's a pity about the Auriga scene being cut, but it's also interesting to note how intent Fox is on dividing the "multiverse" so to speak.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 20, 2016, 11:00:16 PM
It's a pity about the Auriga scene being cut, but it's also interesting to note how intent Fox is on dividing the "multiverse" so to speak.

Such a shame Lebbon cock teased us about that...

HuDaFuK

QuoteTim Lebbon – No one was named, but yes, it featured Liliya stealing the research from Auriga and actually being the cause of the Xenomorph escape on that ship.  It was a fun scene because it mentioned the Ripley clone – though she was never seen – and fans might have enjoyed a few references to Resurrection.  But it works better as it is now.

Wow. Sucks that something like that got cut. I would've really liked to see it.

Corporal Hicks

Personally I'm glad it was removed. I'm getting a little too wary of the retcons and I wouldn't like to see Liliya have been responsible for the Aliens escaping. We saw how they escaped. They did it themselves.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 20, 2016, 11:54:50 PM

He didn't tease it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 21, 2016, 09:11:37 AM
Personally I'm glad it was removed. I'm getting a little too wary of the retcons and I wouldn't like to see Liliya have been responsible for the Aliens escaping. We saw how they escaped. They did it themselves.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 20, 2016, 11:54:50 PM

He didn't tease it.

I'm glad it was left out as well, we don't need too many coincidences in this franchise.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 21, 2016, 02:19:14 PMI'm glad it was left out as well, we don't need too many coincidences in this franchise.

In this case I'd hardly call it a coincidence. The USM are researching Aliens, so of course that's where the data will be.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2016, 02:34:47 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 21, 2016, 02:19:14 PMI'm glad it was left out as well, we don't need too many coincidences in this franchise.

In this case I'd hardly call it a coincidence. The USM are researching Aliens, so of course that's where the data will be.

I like that the prologue shows that the Auriga wasn't the only ship with Xenomorphs in it and the data, and the fact that a previous ship lost it all thanks to Lilliya could add to the USM's desperation to get more samples which leads to the Auriga incident.

So in a way, it links but explores a new setting at the same time.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2016, 02:34:47 PM

Perhaps it'd be better to call it contrived. I could buy into her sneaking on to get data, not causing the escape of the Aliens.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Thinking back to when I asked about how the previous trilogy and Incursion consistently mentioned humans meeting other races and how some were friendly, others not and some were indifferent. (Each book tended to add a term) and asking if this was leading somewhere.

I was re-reading the interview with Tim Lebbon and found something interesting.

In his initial discussion with the editor, the Founcers/Rage were originally going to be another alien race that has learned to weaponize the Aliens and unleashed them on humanity.

That would've been very interesting to see, I'm glad they're open to this idea. I loved the Founders in the book even if they were humans, they were so interesting and their chapters really helped flesh out the galaxy and show how alien some planets can be. And the new technologies that were introduced.

The fact that they were going to be aliens also reminded me of someone here saying that Ash was going to be a Martian at first before he was changed into an Android.

In other news, I checked out Twitter and Tim's plotting the end of the Rage War. I guess that means the third book! This is so exciting.

Perfect-Organism

Damn, every time I try to finish reading this book I jusy wind up playing Sudoku!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 22, 2016, 01:38:29 PM
In his initial discussion with the editor, the Founcers/Rage were originally going to be another alien race that has learned to weaponize the Aliens and unleashed them on humanity.

That would've been very interesting to see, I'm glad they're open to this idea. I loved the Founders in the book even if they were humans, they were so interesting and their chapters really helped flesh out the galaxy and show how alien some planets can be. And the new technologies that were introduced.

As much as I really loved the Founder, I would have been interested and possibly preferred to have seen a new alien species. Only if they'd have been fleshed out and not remained an enigma though.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2016, 03:09:22 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jan 22, 2016, 01:38:29 PM

As much as I really loved the Founder, I would have been interested and possibly preferred to have seen a new alien species. Only if they'd have been fleshed out and not remained an enigma though.

I agree.

Imagine if they were an alien race, but were explored in the same way that the Founders were in the book. Not a lot being given, but enough to give us an idea of who they are and what they want.

And Tim's teasing about an idea for the Dog-Aliens in the third book, whether they'll appear or not is unknown but damn it, Tim! Stop teasing! We gotta go through book two first!

predxeno

I'm glad it wasn't an alien race who were the antagonists, that sounds too corny to me, then again mind control is even more corny and for some reason that made it into the book. :(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed