Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 249,918 times)

426Buddy

Yeah i really enjoyed thor ragnarok.

tleilaxu

Personally I avoid cape-shit.

Prof. a

Quote from: SM on Feb 27, 2018, 03:05:38 AM
I would say the days of Ridley Scott making low budget genre movies had passed  - if they had in fact ever existed in the first place.

It depends what you consider "low budget" but crime film The Counselor (2013) had a 25 million dollar budget. So, your statement doesn't hold completely true.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 27, 2018, 04:51:18 PM
Quote from: Prof. a on Feb 26, 2018, 10:44:37 PM
The key will be a lower budgeted film. If Alien: Covenant was crafted with a $40 million production budget, that North American opening weekend of about $36 million looks a lot better.

The marketing budget is tied to the production budget. A $40 million dollar Alien film wouldn't have had the same advertising budget that Covenant had and so wouldn't have made $36 million on it's opening weekend. More likely something in the region of $10 - 15 million or so.

But a lower budget Alien film would certainly be less of a risk to the studio. And with R-rated films your audience is limited so mid-budget films often perform the best.

Not always true. Marketing budget is different than production budget in every way. Example: Get Out has 4.5 million dollar production budget but it is quite obvious the studio spent much more on advertising. Low production budgets do not equal low advertising budgets - Blair Witch Project, anyone

Quote from: SiL on Feb 27, 2018, 04:00:05 AM
Annihilation is a terrible example. It's only being released theatrically in the US. It's straight to Netflix for everyone else - and that's because of in fighting behind the scenes over how 'cerebral' the film is.

You can simply compare North American box office returns without the international receipts. When you compare things, they are never going to be identical - an argument of this nature is quite pedantic. There are whole fields of Comparative Politics or Comparative Literature.  Do you not compare things because of differences? So you shouldn't compare political systems in Italy and France because they have different institutions or speak different languages?

Films are generally compared on a genre basis. It doesn't make sense to compare Alien films to Marvel films, for example. Hence, the hullaballoo over the box office of IT and Get Out - they were hyped because those types of horror movies previously hadn't brought in those types of returns.

Does anyone think there is a better, more recent comparison? Any other R-rated, Sci-Fi/Horror films over the past two years? Any with financial success?

SM

QuoteIt depends what you consider "low budget" but crime film The Counselor (2013) had a 25 million dollar budget. So, your statement doesn't hold completely true.

It's more about what I consider "genre".  I don't consider The Counsellor to be such.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Prof. a on Mar 05, 2018, 06:28:52 PM
Not always true. Marketing budget is different than production budget in every way. Example: Get Out has 4.5 million dollar production budget but it is quite obvious the studio spent much more on advertising. Low production budgets do not equal low advertising budgets - Blair Witch Project, anyone

Get Out had a ridiculously low production budget so in such a case the studio might spend more on marketing if they think they have a winner on their hands. Those are exceptions though, generally a $40 million film won't have the same marketing budget as a $100 million film.

Immortan Jonesy

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Mar 20, 2018, 02:08:25 AM
The man is busy as usual

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/974407416942120963

Yep... This worried me.

At this point, I kind of hope he hands it off to another director and stays on as a producer so he can get his story out, but use another director's marketability to boost box office earnings.

Scorpio

Don't know of many directors working past 80 and Scott's getting offers left and right.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 20, 2018, 11:38:07 AM
Don't know of many directors working past 80 and Scott's getting offers left and right.

This is the worrying part to me. Just how many of these can he mow through before he gets to Alien: Awakening, or Alien: Exodus or whatever he wants to call it. Two years? Three? What will he be then, 83? The man is ADHD about his schedule picking up movies left and right, and not focusing on getting things out of the way first

tleilaxu

Disney may want him to prooft himself first, we don't know.

Scorpio

Yeah Scott really needs to prove himself. [sarcasm]

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 20, 2018, 07:48:19 PM
Maybe they read the comments on this forum and are concerned he's starting to lose it in old age. Thus, the need to prooft himself.

SM

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 20, 2018, 07:30:12 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 20, 2018, 11:38:07 AM

This is the worrying part to me. Just how many of these can he mow through before he gets to Alien: Awakening, or Alien: Exodus or whatever he wants to call it. Two years? Three? What will he be then, 83? The man is ADHD about his schedule picking up movies left and right, and not focusing on getting things out of the way first

He's made 16 movies in the last 20 years at a time in his life when most people would be retired.  What is he not focused on or not getting out of the way?

Scorpio

Quote from: tleilaxu on Mar 20, 2018, 07:57:48 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 20, 2018, 07:48:19 PM
Maybe they read the comments on this forum and are concerned he's starting to lose it in old age. Thus, the need to prooft himself.

If they read the comments on this forum

Nukiemorph

I've been assuming it's more of a trade-off.  Disney saying "We want to make a Merlin movie, and you're talented.  Maybe we'll let you finish your Alien shit if you make sure Merlin doesn't suck."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed