Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 249,924 times)

skhellter

Lindelof had a plan for the sequels to Prometheus.

and then Ridley decided that "Covenant" was a better idea.

Plans change. all the time.

And given that i liked Covenant a lot more than Prometheus... some changes were probably for the best.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 24, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
Quote from: necrotard on Dec 24, 2017, 09:34:22 AMSON OF A BITCH.

It makes no sense for David to breed more aliens from the colonists and then call it a day. He is not going to just potter along to Origae-6 to be an alien king in recluse: he is going to go after the engineers. Given 20 years of wiggle room and the harshness of the atmosphere on LV-426, it is not entirely inconceivable that the Space Jockey is just one of the many victims of the inevitable conflict between the creator aliens and the creator hating robot.

Time is getting short, but the story is still alive.

And nobody here wants to see that?

No, fans seem to want variations of what we've already seen and the general public just wants superheroes.

Great.

tleilaxu

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 24, 2017, 11:59:39 AM
Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 24, 2017, 09:55:51 AM
Quote from: Gash on Dec 24, 2017, 09:48:52 AM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 24, 2017, 06:33:58 AM

Here's what we need.

Expanded ALIENS universe akin to Dark Horse comics based on Blomkamp's concept art, scale and tone. Skip the "Xenomorph Jurassic World raptor squad", or Ripley's biomechanical suit, daft idea.

Make an AVP3 set in the future. Make it dark, violent, using weapon's from ALIENS and updated Minigun from Predator.

Profit.

We need that?

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 24, 2017, 08:21:27 AM

The reason ALIENS was a box office smash was because we saw a bigger and greater threat (ALIEN- QUEEN). Imagine that on a futuristic Earth.

Let's have some scale, like ALIENS EARTH WAR or BOOK TWO. If David Giler is not willing to do the "20 powerloaders vs 20 ALIEN Queens" lets hand it to someone who DOES.

Oh gawd!

This is a trap most likely. But i'd be down with proper bleak AvP film with Aliens weaponry, basically a movie version of AvP 1999, Blomkamp?

No not a trap.

Yes I am biased towards the action orientated ALIENS, as long as the script and cast are sound and the production values balanced and realistic looking.

The PC Games AVP 1999 and AVP2 (2002) were popular because they were faithful to each series to a T.

I'm also geared towards a single ALIEN creating tension (ALIEN and ALIEN 3) but my issue with all films after ALIENS is they are anything but. ALIEN 3 scared me moreso because it was a graphic blood bath than suspenceful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6An_fs8eA
Let's keep this shit in video-games where it's good and out of movies where it sucks. Speaking of which, I have yet to play the classic AvP games. Gonna put that on my to-do list.

GreybackElder

GreybackElder

Why would Ridley Scott believe that the Alien Saga is as big as Star Wars?? It's a Completely different genre of movie that is NOT kid friendly. It's also such a niche film series. Dark sci-fi action horror? It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I think Ridley Scott is clutching at straws here.

" the sequel was originally scheduled to begin pre-production in September 2017 but was shelved after the tepid box office response to Alien: Covenant"

"The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything." (reffering to Prometheus items auctioned off as code that the film had failed).

Also Ridley Scott cancelling his "ALIEN- PARADISE" film that would've been an exploration of the Engineer homeworld.

Listen. Get Disney to make Blomkamp's ALIEN-5 but let's get real not going to happen due to Weaver's supposed AVATAR 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 schedule and Michael Biehn collective ages.

Here's what we need.

Expanded ALIENS universe akin to Dark Horse comics based on Blomkamp's concept art, scale and tone. Skip the "Xenomorph Jurassic World raptor squad", or Ripley's biomechanical suit, daft idea.

Make an AVP3 set in the future. Make it dark, violent, using weapon's from ALIENS and updated Minigun from Predator.

Profit.
Why does everyone believe Blompkamp's would have been a masterpiece? It's now a legendary film that was never made..We have NOO idea what it would have been like. Sure, Blompkamp has passion for the alien but that doesn't translate to a great film. What was the last good blompkamo film? District 9? Also, please no Minigun from predator. Enough with the homages. Give me something original.

Matt Molen

Matt Molen

I'd love to work on designing/art directing the next alien film!

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 24, 2017, 11:17:11 AM
Quote from: reecebomb on Dec 24, 2017, 09:45:37 AM
But it does seem there never was a solid plan with the prequels.
There never was a plan. So much so, that the films weren't even supposed to be prequels at one point:

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-18298709/ridley-scott-says-prometheus-is-not-a-prequel-to-alien

Scott can't plan out the next sentence that comes out of his mouth, let alone a film trilogy. It's mind boggling to me that people still take him seriously.

"Prometheus a prequel" - "Prometheus not a prequel" - "The beast is cooked" - "It's all about this guy here *looks at an alien poster*" - "The beast has almost run out" - "He's the best monster ever, really"...

::)

It's mind boggling to me that some people still don't get why Prometheus was downplayed as an ALIEN prequel before release. It was always an ALIEN prequel, but the expectation for it to play out in a certain way made it wiser to create some distance between them in promotional material. Especially given where AvP had driven it.

There's complete consistency on his view on the alien, it was overused, put into theme parks, put into low-brow sci fi. It's image was used and abused. It deserved better service, it's the best monster ever and it should have a better showcase.

There's nothing like blind obstinacy though.    ::) indeed.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 24, 2017, 05:57:15 PM
Why would Ridley Scott believe that the Alien Saga is as big as Star Wars?? It's a Completely different genre of movie that is NOT kid friendly. It's also such a niche film series. Dark sci-fi action horror? It's not everyone's cup of tea.

I think Ridley Scott is clutching at straws here.

" the sequel was originally scheduled to begin pre-production in September 2017 but was shelved after the tepid box office response to Alien: Covenant"

"The sequel to Covenant was originally due to start preproduction this month in Sydney. After the box office results filming was cancelled, and a warehouse storage unit full of stuff was auctioned off a few months ago. So the original plan of pumping out another quickly has definitely changed with no immediate plans for anything." (reffering to Prometheus items auctioned off as code that the film had failed).

Also Ridley Scott cancelling his "ALIEN- PARADISE" film that would've been an exploration of the Engineer homeworld.

Listen. Get Disney to make Blomkamp's ALIEN-5 but let's get real not going to happen due to Weaver's supposed AVATAR 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 schedule and Michael Biehn collective ages.

Here's what we need.

Profit.
Why does everyone believe Blompkamp's would have been a masterpiece? It's now a legendary film that was never made..We have NOO idea what it would have been like. Sure, Blompkamp has passion for the alien but that doesn't translate to a great film. What was the last good blompkamo film? District 9? Also, please no Minigun from predator. Enough with the homages. Give me something original.
Even in this post clamoring for Blomkamp's involvement, AVP-CAPCOM points out that half of the concept sketches from him were concerning and looked dumb.

I honestly don't know where this franchise can go.  I don't know how much else you can do with these aliens.  But so far, all I've seen on these boards are "more predator, more space marines, more power loaders, more queens, more aliens by the thousands."

But I feel like we got the first two parts of a new, interesting trilogy that had something new to say and very few people seem to give a shit that it won't be finished.  They just want to ignore it and start something new.

Well I'm sorry, but I don't think Hollywood is going to see this the way fans do.  They see poor numbers from Covenant and they don't go "oh, time to give the series to new directors."  They say "well I guess the alien isn't profitable anymore.  Greenlight more X-Men."

Scorpio

Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 24, 2017, 05:57:15 PM
District 9?

Alien Nation crossed with The Fly crossed with City of God.  It even had a mech suit/powerloader in it from Aliens.  Is ok movie, I don't get all the praise though.

BishopShouldGo

IT has grossed more than JUSTICE LEAGUE worldwide... just because something is R rated doesn't mean it can't reach a substantial amount of people.

Alien and Aliens were in the top 10 highest grossing movies of their respective years and Prometheus comps are Star Trek 09 and Batman Begins. But instead of Ridley parlaying Prometheus into a The Dark Knight-quality movie he made something Alice Through the Looking Glass-tier.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 24, 2017, 09:10:13 PM
IT has grossed more than JUSTICE LEAGUE worldwide... just because something is R rated doesn't mean it can't reach a substantial amount of people.
You picked one of only two films  in the 2017 top 20 box office that were R-rated. So your analogy simply backs that a R rated film being big box office is an exception to the rule.........not a common pattern.

Gash

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 24, 2017, 09:10:13 PM

Alien and Aliens were in the top 10 highest grossing movies of their respective years and Prometheus comps are Star Trek 09 and Batman Begins. But instead of Ridley parlaying Prometheus into a The Dark Knight-quality movie he made something Alice Through the Looking Glass-tier.

The praise that The Dark Knight gets, or indeed any Christopher Nolan film aside from Memento, bewilders me. Most I'd describe as grand in scale but utterly cold and unengaging. Different strokes

Scorpio

Unengaging and pretentious.  The opposite of the Alien prequels.

tleilaxu

Nolan sucks. Even Interstellar, which is great in many ways, could've been a genuinely classic movie if Nolan had made it more like his brother's original script instead of the ending being some shitty "Love trumps everything" bullshit.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 24, 2017, 09:39:51 PM
You picked one of only two films  in the 2017 top 20 box office that were R-rated. So your analogy simply backs that a R rated film being big box office is an exception to the rule.........not a common pattern.
The claim wasn't based on what percentage of the top 20 consists of R rated films. That's a bad analogy to begin with, since it has to account for the percentage of R rated film out of the total films examined. If most of the films examined are PG films, it's only natural for most of the films on the list to be PG films.

Rather, the assertion was that an R rated film can be a box office hit, which is correct. Not only do Logan and IT show it to be the case this year, but you can actually go back and check every year in the past and it's guaranteed to find R rated films doing great at the box office. Here's a nice list to demonstrate:

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/mpaa-rating/R-(US)

The more serious mistake in this regard, in my opinion, is looking at the box office total in the first place, as it disregards the film's earnings in proportion to its budget. R rated films are often made on a lower budget, so not making it into the top 20 box office chart is completely irrelevant to them. For example: Get Out, which didn't make the top 20 box office, made $254,329,516 worldwide on a $4.5 million budget. That's 56 (!!!) times its original budget. To put that figure into perspective: Star Wars:The Force Awakens (Couldn't use The Last Jedi because the film just got out) made $2,068,223,624 on a $245 million budget. That's 8 times its original budget. The Force Awakens needed to do 7 times the figures it ended up earning just to be in the same league as Get Out.

Huggs

"Make an AVP3 set in the future. Make it dark, violent, using weapon's from ALIENS and updated Minigun from Predator."

Everything sounds good except the minigun. Throwbacks and easter eggs tend to take me out of the experience. Kind of like when Samuel L. Jackson said "hold onto your butts" in skull island. I thought about Jurassic Park and then had to get back into the movie all over again, which ruined the first encounter scene for me. But AVP territory is most likely where we're headed. It's a solid bet in todays market. Violent creature content, with gunfights and /sci-fi horror elements. It just covers so many areas. The Alien fans, the Predator fans, folks that love space movies, folks that love monster movies, horror lovers, gore hounds, gamers, etc.

Should Predator 2018 embrace the "fun" aspect of films like Aliens and AVPR, and do well financially, AVP3 will likely make the Disney radar whenever these franchises are brought up in the future. Of course, Predator 2018 will need to have a good ad campaign if it wants to draw the crowds, and I'm excited to see that first trailer.

Of course, should Disney make movies like Alien, Aliens and AVPR, we'll have some people going nuts that the films are either just visual crack with no substance, or they lack the narrative depth of the prequels. But the prequels have to end someday. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Scott as a director. He makes wonderful non-alien films, (The Martian, Hannibal, Gladiator, Blade Runner, etc.). I respectfully look forward to the day he moves on from the Aliens Universe so that we can have a new shot at some excellent Alien and Non-Alien films at the same time. And if anyone from Disney ever reads this,

AVP: Read the first book.
Alien 5 - See Gibson's Alien 3 script.

And A Merry Christmas To Everybody As Well.  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed