Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 249,908 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: SiL on Dec 10, 2017, 02:41:25 AM
I think Ridley's forgotten which of his films was about AI gone bad and which was about space aliens.

Haha. I think Ridley wanted to do a sequel of Blade Runner 2049 but 2049 was a total flop at the box office so the Blade Runner franchise is totally dead.

XenoHunter99

As one on record for disliking both Prometheus and Covenant, I will reiterate that the problem with these prequel movies has nothing to do with pulse rifles, space marines, the creature, the look of the movies, or the ideas in play. It's all in the scripting, presentation, and handling of the characters and story. How did we get from point A to point B? When one thinks about that, these movies fall apart. The prequels could be called Morons in Space, and it would be an accurate description of what we see on the screen. I'm all for characters sometimes making bad decisions. Here, we're not talking a few bad decisions, We're talking Tales of the Dumbest People in the Universe. These people deserve to die for being so stupid. And how we got from point A to point B makes no sense.

Let's talk momentarily about how Convenant would have really ended: Move the ship 40km closer to the storm. That exceeds the ship's tolerances by a lot. OK. Ship breaks up, everybody dies. No one to rescue survivors on the planet. They die. David is still there. Roll credits. That's the way I see it. Or Oram listens to Daniels, everybody gets back in the freezers, and the ship treks on to its original destination. You get a different movie.

Now, we have Ridley making these contentious statements about a movie that may or may not happen..Ok. Track record indicates, whatever else happens, we're probably getting another Tale of the Dumbest People in the Universe. Also, based on the way Prometheus connected to Covenant, we have no guarantee at all where the next movie will go. Seems likely David will be in it, but it's speculation. In the end, we get what we get. I hope we get something good, but I expect another delivery of beaurtiful garbage.

PierreVW

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 10, 2017, 05:55:53 PM
As one on record for disliking both Prometheus and Covenant, I will reiterate that the problem with these prequel movies has nothing to do with pulse rifles, space marines, the creature, the look of the movies, or the ideas in play. It's all in the scripting, presentation, and handling of the characters and story. How did we get from point A to point B? When one thinks about that, these movies fall apart. The prequels could be called Morons in Space, and it would be an accurate description of what we see on the screen. I'm all for characters sometimes making bad decisions. Here, we're not talking a few bad decisions, We're talking Tales of the Dumbest People in the Universe. These people deserve to die for being so stupid. And how we got from point A to point B makes no sense.

Let's talk momentarily about how Convenant would have really ended: Move the ship 40km closer to the storm. That exceeds the ship's tolerances by a lot. OK. Ship breaks up, everybody dies. No one to rescue survivors on the planet. They die. David is still there. Roll credits. That's the way I see it. Or Oram listens to Daniels, everybody gets back in the freezers, and the ship treks on to its original destination. You get a different movie.

Now, we have Ridley making these contentious statements about a movie that may or may not happen..Ok. Track record indicates, whatever else happens, we're probably getting another Tale of the Dumbest People in the Universe. Also, based on the way Prometheus connected to Covenant, we have no guarantee at all where the next movie will go. Seems likely David will be in it, but it's speculation. In the end, we get what we get. I hope we get something good, but I expect another delivery of beaurtiful garbage.

Dumbest People in the Universe?. It's weird this new trend. Everyone is kind of dumb in all movies. People were dumb in the classics too. I suppose it's nostalgia factor. Everything of the past was better and that kind of things.

tleilaxu

Quote from: PierreVW on Dec 10, 2017, 06:31:45 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Dec 10, 2017, 05:55:53 PM

Dumbest People in the Universe?. It's weird this new trend. Everyone is kind of dumb in all movies. People were dumb in the classics too. I suppose it's nostalgia factor. Everything of the past was better and that kind of things.
This thing has been addressed so many times now, I'm having a hard time telling whether I'm being trolled or not.

Highland

I can buy dumb things in small doses. An Evil Android telling you he's been making monsters and come check this latest one out....! 

I actually switch the movie off at that bit. I quite enjoy it up til then.

Scorpio

Perhaps these characters aren't the "dumbest people in the universe".  Perhaps you lack the understanding to comprehend what the vision of these movies are.  You expect to see what you have seen previously, but not every movie is the same.  They have different people behind them.  It's not a question of pulse rifles and marines, no, but given Aliens is the most popular movie in the franchise that's what people base their expectations upon.  They expect to see the same kind of character interactions and tone, when that is not what the new films are going for and instead of trying to understand this new approach, they automatically reject it. 

SiL

Or maybe we see the "vision" and the characters are still morons?

No? We're still on "If you don't like it you just don't get it" after all these years?

Woo.

Scorpio

That's just your opinion, SiL.

I do not believe these characters are morons or poorly written.  So either I'm wrong, you're wrong or it's entirely subjective which it is.

And maybe some don't see the "vision", as you say.  In any case, it doesn't hurt to try and increase your understanding.  But first you would have to get past your own bias towards the film.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 10, 2017, 02:41:25 AM
I think Ridley's forgotten which of his films was about AI gone bad and which was about space aliens.
Haha, truth.

Gotta say, while I think the David and Engineer and black goo stuff has been really interesting, I still think these Ridley Scott prequels would have been better served if they'd been divorced from 'Alien' entirely. Ridley Scott would have the freedom to go totally nuts and make something really scary and original and thought provoking without being hamstrung by ties to 'Alien', and he wouldn't have to say things like "I don't think the Alien is interesting anymore" as he's preparing to make another Alien movie.

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 11, 2017, 10:35:21 AM
Yes. And it's a valid one that has nothing to do with seeing or not seeing the "vision". I get what they're going for. I still don't like the characters.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 11, 2017, 10:35:21 AM

I do not believe these characters are morons or poorly written.  So either I'm wrong, you're wrong or it's entirely subjective which it is.

And maybe some don't see the "vision", as you say.  In any case, it doesn't hurt to try and increase your understanding.  But first you would have to get past your own bias towards the film.
A guy in a previous AvPGalaxy podcast said that when you're not into the movie, everything seems like shit and you pick out every little detail. I and other posters have demonstrated many times that you can pick out flaws close the same severity in Alien and Aliens. That's why people can call Covenant's crew "morons in space" while thinking Dallas is a completely realistic and human character, because they are into Alien as a whole but not into Covenant. The reasons for this can of course be many, but I personally believe the marketing campaign setting up non-met expectations bears a huge part of the blame.
Of course, not everybody has the same kind of introspective and self-analytical mindset as the guy who said this in the podcast, and more often than not they will rationalize every flaw in the first two movies as e.g. a character being "human".

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 11, 2017, 11:00:11 AM
A guy in a previous AvPGalaxy podcast said that when you're not into the movie, everything seems like shit and you pick out every little detail.

I'm going to agree on this, I've experience this myself. I bought the movie today on Blu Ray ( was half price mind you) and asked myself why I would buy a movie that I'd said so much bad stuff about. Part of it was support for the franchise, the other part was that maybe it's just an Alien thing, where you have to have it. I do find myself nit picking the movie a lot.

Then I think, the movie just isn't that good. Like it's not even a Jurassic World type good ( No where near the original yet sort of fun and in the spirit). It's just not really an Alien film and it's not a Prometheus film. It's exactly what it sounds like went on behind the scenes. One half of the production wanting to expand and the other wanting the same old. The result is literally a movie split in half. The first ( Scott's half?) quite intriguing and mysterious and the second half a total by the numbers ( Apone voice) sci fi channel monster flick.

Torn. Completely torn boys! 

Alionic

Even Ripley Daniels with a pulse rifle machine gun couldn't save it for you. The missing ingredient was a Queen, no?

Scorpio

Yeah the last two scenes of Covenant are very like Aliens.  The lander action scene is better than anything in Aliens.  The Daniels vs proto-xeno in the hangar bay is very similar to Ripley vs Queen.

Maybe because there is no powerloader?  Is that why fans are upset?

SiL

Are you really that desperate to ignore people's opinions or are you trolling by this point ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed