20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting

Started by Whos_Nick, Mar 04, 2022, 01:10:38 AM

Author
20th Century Studios President, Steve Asbell, Talks Prey Time Setting (Read 16,820 times)

Voodoo Magic

Oh lordy, well for someone who dealt so much snark so often to so many, this is quite ironic. Geez, you and SM used to tag-team me across multiple threads with all those things and more!

Now you said "For consistency I think the returning cast of Jurassic Park wearing the same clothes 30 years later in the new Jurassic World is also super shitty fanservice."

Now I don't equate the two, Grayback wearing a similar armor set with wearing the same clothes, so I said "He'll change out his codpiece don't worry" which I thought was pretty funny.  ;D. Sorry if I offended you.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Mar 08, 2022, 07:04:29 PM
If it was interesting I don't see why it got so many passive aggressive, dismissive and even condescending remarks?

Because you often do that yourself, regardless how interesting is the discussion. People here already made those remarks to you. And your reputation, identified by more than me here, precedes you now.

Sometimes people will react this way because of your overall work, not because of one particular post or discussion. I guess you reap what you sow as they say.

Corporal Hicks

Rightio, that's enough. Let's move on.

Mr.Turok

Its a tricky thing I see here

My thing is that I just don't want a Jungle Hunter rip off design. Greyback got away with it due to the sheer fact of his unique status and creative license that made it distinct from the JH armor design. Every single Predator soon after were mostly their own character, and their design would reflect such individuality. Captured/Crucified from Predators was the only one to truly break from this, and this is due to partly show his status of being a member of JH Clan and to reference the mainstream Predators to Mr.Black's Super Predator conflict.

I mean there is a possibility of ADI retooling Fugitive's armor but that design is very advanced looking compared to Elder's design later on in P2. But also, Hicks, I do have a remark for your point. If the comic 1718, remains canon, and Prey takes place a year later, then Greyback's design wouldn't change that much to his comic book appearance? I guess he can comeback with new shoulder guards, new mask, new alien bone trophy, or something but the overall template would be similar to his appearance in 1718, no? I mean how much action can he see within a year compared to hundreds of years later, seeing him decked out in tribal prestige?   

St_Eddie

On the topic of the flintlock pistol in Predator 2; I always thought it was a bit silly that the predator hands it to Harrigan.  I mean why exactly?  It's only really there to tell us, the audience, that predators have been hunting humans for centuries.  I don't see why the predator would do that in-universe.

SuperiorIronman

My assumption was that it's customary to take trophies.

Earlier in the film it's suggested that other incursions happen, and they happen often. The sort of bombs they casually carry on their person are devastating and for that matter don't normally go off but when they do it's a near un survivable f**k you. A Predator dying is all things considered rare. Basically suggesting why we don't normally see random nukes going off. Predators very rarely die on the hunt meaning anyone who can take one down is impressive and Harrigan is just a cop. Cops are tough, but these are things that can manhandle special forces the size of 1980's Arnold. They're tough is what I'm getting at and not even Arnold took Jungle Hunter in a straight fight even if Harrigan did have to fight dirty to get the final blow.

Point is, that after all of that Harrigan has won. Later media (and BTS info) also suggests that City Hunter was young and out to prove himself. He failed and the rest of the group was simply here to keep an eye on him. He's City Hunter's trophy so killing him is a waste since none of them had been hunting Harrigan to begin with. It's sloppy seconds. Greyback however is not about to give him City Hunter's head so he tosses him the pistol. Essentially a sign of respect and also a trophy given he isn't about to hand him City Hunter's skull be it for cultural reasons or that he wants to save face.

The other thing to keep in mind, Greyback is willing to respect Harrigan winning, but he doesn't give him much time to leave either. City Hunter may have been the one who died but Predators are sore losers and intolerable of weaknesses. The ring leader is certainly going to reflect on one of his guys not being up to par and wants out of there now. It's also somewhat debated what he says to him as he leaves (I'm sure someone has the script) but I like the idea he called him a heathen as he left implying he's gonna be respectful and a bit of an ass.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 08, 2022, 11:24:56 PM
On the topic of the flintlock pistol in Predator 2; I always thought it was a bit silly that the predator hands it to Harrigan.  I mean why exactly?  It's only really there to tell us, the audience, that predators have been hunting humans for centuries.  I don't see why the predator would do that in-universe.

Its always have been for respect of an worthy opponent. Even the comic solidifies he gave that same respect to the original owner of the pistol, even burying the guy which is a huge act of kindness that I've seen a Predator ever done in media before, besides that one Predator who freed a kid from Nazi captors.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 08, 2022, 11:09:14 PM
I mean there is a possibility of ADI retooling Fugitive's armor but that design is very advanced looking compared to Elder's design later on in P2.

ADI didn't design Fugitive's Predator so I wouldn't expect to see that being reused unless Studios still has the props on hand somewhere which isn't too unrealistic.

QuoteBut also, Hicks, I do have a remark for your point. If the comic 1718, remains canon, and Prey takes place a year later, then Greyback's design wouldn't change that much to his comic book appearance? I guess he can comeback with new shoulder guards, new mask, new alien bone trophy, or something but the overall template would be similar to his appearance in 1718, no? I mean how much action can he see within a year compared to hundreds of years later, seeing him decked out in tribal prestige?   

I just don't see it happening. As fans, I'm sure we'd all like to see him looking like the Golden Angel, but I just don't see that comic factoring into Prey at all. The live action has never done that.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 04, 2022, 02:30:56 PM
I've always felt Skulls/Prey would tell the story of the Raphael Adolini pistol right from the beginning, based on the time period. (To think I was teased about it in the AvPGalaxy speculation podcast! 8))

Remember too, that the bloke who was on set and took the pic of an actor in Comanche garb had this to say:

Also remember we had an indicator of Europeans in Prey when we saw an actor appear as a French Trapper on IMDB very briefly, before it was quickly pulled.

So the flintlock origin feels like a done deal to me, and I couldn't be more excited.

And just to add to this - Jann Elderpredator sent me this from the Aliens/Predator Universe group on Facebook. If this is legit, sounds like they purchased a replica off a collector.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 08, 2022, 11:09:14 PMBut also, Hicks, I do have a remark for your point. If the comic 1718, remains canon, and Prey takes place a year later, then Greyback's design wouldn't change that much to his comic book appearance? I guess he can comeback with new shoulder guards, new mask, new alien bone trophy, or something but the overall template would be similar to his appearance in 1718, no? I mean how much action can he see within a year compared to hundreds of years later, seeing him decked out in tribal prestige?   

While 1718 remains one of my favorite Predator comics of all time (along with Predator #1 and Predator: Hunters I & II) I really believe 'Prey" will overwrite that event.

May 22, 2022, 09:29:20 AM

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 09, 2022, 12:12:53 AM
My assumption was that it's customary to take trophies.

Earlier in the film it's suggested that other incursions happen, and they happen often. The sort of bombs they casually carry on their person are devastating and for that matter don't normally go off but when they do it's a near un survivable f**k you.

To me, the blast is overkill for a f*ck you. I see it more as a method of destroying all tech (and their ship seemingly nearby) so it doesn't get into the prey's hands and impact their evolution. The f*ck you is just a bonus.  ;D

May 22, 2022, 09:29:10 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2022, 08:50:34 AM
And just to add to this - Jann Elderpredator sent me this from the Aliens/Predator Universe group on Facebook. If this is legit, sounds like they purchased a replica off a collector.

Awesome!

Yeah, those guns are really hard to find. I've been looking for years. One finally appeared on Ebay during the holiday, but I was so focused on the closing of my house purchase I totally missed it until the auction was over. :-\

SuperiorIronman

Given I have this strange curse of owning Elder Predator merch (it always finds it way into my house) I'm convinced I'll find a replica of the pistol. Found one pretty close in an antique store a couple of months ago but didn't have the money for it.

Wouldn't be the first time they got a replica. ADI got a replica of the Jungle Hunter plasmacaster to use as the basis for Fugitive's I think. So in all likelihood they probably did get a pistol.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's right - though it was Quantum (?) - it was a fan-made replica off eBay. I chuckled when I read that. I wonder if ADI actually got to handle the armor and weaponry again this time around. I've always really liked what they did with that and while I dug the Fugitive's armor, I was still bummed out ADI didn't get to do it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 09, 2022, 02:00:38 PM
Wouldn't be the first time they got a replica. ADI got a replica of the Jungle Hunter plasmacaster to use as the basis for Fugitive's I think. So in all likelihood they probably did get a pistol.

The prop department for Predator 2 used a replica too, the very same Denix flintlock. So Prey's prop department was essentially tracking down the same consumer item Predator 2 acquired, used and changed 1614 to 1715 to accommodate its period.

RidgeTop

Honestly just popping in for a peek here, but I hope Greyback isn't involved, at least as the primary Pred. Even looking at the silhouette of the Predator in the Prey poster it's a different build for the body.

I like new Preds myself, and if it is Greyback as the main but he's missing one quill it won't live up to fan expectations.

The date certainly raises suspicions, but I have to wonder if the flintlock inclusion was planned from the start, or was something tacked on.

If that replica was purchased after filming began, I'd expect the latter.

Perhaps this could just be another member of the Lost Tribe and we'll have another ending where they all show up.

Voodoo Magic

I think the one quill missing won't live up to fan expectations is a wee bit of an exaggeration, but regarding the flintlock being possibly tacked on, was there an indication the replica was purchased during or even after filming began, or perhaps even procured for the reshoots? A prop department still trying to secure a scarce item prop after filming began, for a scene likely filmed towards the end of production doesn't sound crazy strange to me in light of its rarity. We've all heard of films going into production without a completed script, which is much crazier imo.

And if so, the Flintlock being tacked on would seem oddly coincidental in regards to the time period of "Prey,"... not to mention the guy who took the on-set pics during filming said the crew told him Prey was a prequel and involved the flintlock.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 09, 2022, 06:05:17 PM
Honestly just popping in for a peek here, but I hope Greyback isn't involved, at least as the primary Pred. Even looking at the silhouette of the Predator in the Prey poster it's a different build for the body.

I was thinking about this the other day too - but the simple answers are - bodies change or artistic licensing on the image. We still haven't actually seen an unobscured image of him.

I wasn't so convinced at the early speculation as we didn't really have any solid timeframes, but I'm now at the point where I'd be super surprised if it wasn't intended to be Greyback. But I also don't think Prey will be trying to telegraph that in any obnoxious, obvious way and it'll just be there.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 09, 2022, 06:49:59 PM
Regarding the flintlock being possibly tacked on, was there an indication the replica was purchased during or even after filming began, or perhaps even procured for the reshoots?

I'll try to find out.

It's not too solid as this is all 2nd hand info, and it was when they was told about it, but it was apparently November time. So if that's all correct, it's possible it was purchased for reshoots.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed