Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 847,353 times)

N-Shifter

N-Shifter

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 06, 2018, 03:03:11 PM
Blue Thunder

Mad 80s action flick about the LAPD being chosen to test a heavily-armed helicopter gunship (Why? Who cares) and a government conspiracy revolving around the craft.

Can we count the number of 80s action movie clichés this film checks?
  • A hero who drives a classic muscle car, bucks authority and has a dark past involving Vietnam.
  • A preposterous plot.
  • Even more preposterous action sequences.
  • A good old-fashioned R rating.
  • A charismatic villain played by a Brit.
  • A newbie partner who clearly won't survive the movie.
  • Token nudity.
For added what-the-f*ckness, it was written by Dan O'Bannon of Alien fame; the two films couldn't be further apart tonally.

Also the hero is a cop called Murphy and the male newsreader from RoboCop is in it, again playing an anchor, so this is officially a prequel about Alex Murphy's estranged brother :P

I LOVE this movie, granted I haven't watched it since the 80's but I'm convinced that I'd still love it, I'm going to have to make this happen.
Thanks for reminding me that it exists  ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

For added what-the-f*ckness, it was written by Dan O'Bannon of Alien fame; the two films couldn't be further apart tonally.

It's not so strange when you look at the rest of O'Bannon's filmography. Return of the Living Dead, Lifeforce, Total Recall, etc, the man loves his outrageous shit.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 07, 2018, 02:12:05 AMIt's not so strange when you look at the rest of O'Bannon's filmography. Return of the Living Dead, Lifeforce, Total Recall, etc, the man loves his outrageous shit.

The man was and still is an underrated genius.
Read a while ago they were gonna turn one of his last scripts into a movie but it probably ended up in development hell.
Think it was called Pain Clinic.

Prez

Prez

Blue Thunder

Mad 80s action flick about the LAPD being chosen to test a heavily-armed helicopter gunship (Why? Who cares) and a government conspiracy revolving around the craft.

Can we count the number of 80s action movie clichés this film checks?
  • A hero who drives a classic muscle car, bucks authority and has a dark past involving Vietnam.
  • A preposterous plot.
  • Even more preposterous action sequences.
  • A good old-fashioned R rating.
  • A charismatic villain played by a Brit.
  • A newbie partner who clearly won't survive the movie.
  • Token nudity.

Also the hero is a cop called Murphy and the male newsreader from RoboCop is in it, again playing an anchor, so this is officially a prequel about Alex Murphy's estranged brother :P

Roy Schneider :-(

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 07, 2018, 02:12:05 AMIt's not so strange when you look at the rest of O'Bannon's filmography. Return of the Living Dead, Lifeforce, Total Recall, etc, the man loves his outrageous shit.

I completely forgot about Lifeforce :laugh:

I must've been... distracted by something while watching that :P

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2018, 10:33:35 AM

Two things, I'm guessing. :laugh:

Prez

Prez

Quote from: KiramidHead on Feb 07, 2018, 12:48:20 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 07, 2018, 10:33:35 AM

Two things, I'm guessing. :laugh:

;D I remember my mother banning me from watching that film as a young kid as she knew of the heavy nudity in that film. But it was ok for a young kid to watch the ultra violent Alien mind. Loved my mother's logic bless her (that's Catholic guilt for you).

I only recently watched Lifeforce in full last year - forgot so much about it to be honest.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Superman: Doomsday

This isn't very good, and mainly feels like a 77 minute excuse to give Kevin Smith a voice cameo joking about giant spiders.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Daddy's Home 2 (2017)
Didn't like it. PG-13 rating just makes the dialogue and swearing so lame. And the slapstick bits are plain unfunny.
I think this one and the first one would've been funnier with an R-Rating.

The Ritual (2018)
Well made (below) average horror flick. Loved the locations though.

Prez

Prez

Thor Ragnarok

Enjoyable but damn that humour felt so forced and out of tone with these characters. It riffed heavy on GOTG even down to the soundtrack. I know this film got rave reviews but once again I'm left scratching my head at what I've just seen versus what could've been.

I will stress however I did enjoy it a lot but dammit I can't help but feel how much more I would've preferred a far more serious, darker tone to this one.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Prez on Feb 08, 2018, 09:52:26 AM
Thor Ragnarok

Enjoyable but damn that humour felt so forced and out of tone with these characters. It riffed heavy on GOTG even down to the soundtrack. I know this film got rave reviews but once again I'm left scratching my head at what I've just seen versus what could've been.

I will stress however I did enjoy it a lot but dammit I can't help but feel how much more I would've preferred a far more serious, darker tone to this one.

The movie is terrible, is the perfect embodiment of everything wrong disney does with the mcu, read the comic book, it will make you feel better.

Escape from Tomorrow (2013) Good and weird.

Chromeskull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011) As bad as the first one, mayeb worse, it needs more kills and less senseless story.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Watched The Hateful Eight again. Strong The Thing vibes in the movie.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Prez on Feb 08, 2018, 09:52:26 AMThor Ragnarok

I agree. The film was visually stunning, the action was neat and Cate Blanchett was perfect as Hela, but the humor and the tone of the movie felt way off from what I think is right for a Thor film. Even if it was pretty funny, it was so on the expense of the characters dignity.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Cloverfield Paradox
Yes I agree the Cloverfield stuff is shoehorned in, but otherwise I found this to be an enjoyable film, not as bad as people are saying I think. Take it in its own terms and there's some fantastic bits

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed