Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 469,935 times)

The Ghoul

The Ghoul

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 18, 2010, 03:18:15 AM
Quote from: Confed_Predator on May 18, 2010, 03:17:04 AM
Predator would win.

Simple as that, no questions asked!

Aliens are pretty much designed to be hunted an raped by Predators.
They're pretty much animals that only have 1 instinct: kill.

Ya sure sounds bad ass, but compared to a Predator the Alien is just some unintellient animal. Predators have a complete civilization, and you know, they arent born by ripping out of someones chest.

Might want to work on your spelling and grammar before calling out an Alien for its supposed lack of "intellience".
Nice one doom.  8)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Predator would win.

Ya sure sounds bad ass, but compared to a Predator the Alien is just some unintellient animal. Predators have a complete civilization, and you know, they arent born by ripping out of someones chest.

/pulls up sleeves

Alrighty, grasshopper.

Welcome to AvPGalaxy. Every time you spout this nonsense, one of the Cool Kids is gonna come over and give you a throwdown, 'cause at AvPGalaxy we believe in proper evidence, open-mindedness and fairness towards the fans of all franchises. Batter-atter-atter...

I'm going to make this quick and simple by listing the kind of things Aliens pull off and what movie it's in. This is what we consider undeniable canon. The Alien has:

- Moved at incredible speeds. (A1, on the tracker, A3)
- Survived the plasma thrusters of a spacecraft. (A1)
- Survived having ten tons of molten lead dumped on it. (A3)
- Survived small arms weapon fire. (A2, pistols. Sometimes against the pulse rifles, too)
- Blew out candles to confuse and lure prey. (A3)
- Set traps (A4).
- Weaponised its own bleeding body. (AvP, twice)
- Ripped through steel doors. (A2, A4)
- Learned about and abused human technology. (A2, A4)

Not saying anything definitive, but I think your equation might be back to front. Aliens exist to overrule the life-cycles of all other species. They're very effective at this in general. Predators are not magically immune to this; their role is to be the only ones who are consistently able to resist the Aliens in combat, and even then it's never a sure thing. Every Alien a Predator fights might be their last.

And there's no guarantee that all Predator clans know about the Aliens, and if they do, there's no guarantee they have experience fighting against them or the tools they need. To them, Aliens could be a distant, mysterious enemy that only the mightiest of Predator warriors survive against. We don't know.

But the point is that the canon of each franchise does suggest a semblance of balance, something roughly on the lines of 1:1 all up.

'Course, there are different opinions here, but the general agreement is that Aliens are in no way fodder for the Predators.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Alex... what a great post.

SM

SM

But sadly simply feeding the troll.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

It's like beating your head against a brick wall, except your head is your nasal duct and the wall is crack cocaine.

Reaper Pred

Reaper Pred

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 18, 2010, 07:26:08 AM
It's like beating your head against a brick wall, except your head is your nasal duct and the wall is crack cocaine.
And u voluntarily did it..?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 18, 2010, 03:41:29 AM
- Moved at incredible speeds. (A1, on the tracker...)
I never got that.

It doesn't appear to move much quicker than Dallas, if any quicker at all.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I always thought it moved twice Dallas' own pace at the least. To the best of my memory, Dallas was taking baby steps in comparison, whereas it was moving at a faster pace and moving more consistently.

And if I wanted to justify my point in a more ridiculous manner, I could bring up the anti-grav abilities our Big Chap displayed when it took Brett.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 18, 2010, 08:55:04 AM
I always thought it moved twice Dallas' own pace at the least. To the best of my memory, Dallas was taking baby steps in comparison, whereas it was moving at a faster pace and moving more consistently.
Twice, maybe -- but Dallas was moving hell'a slowly anyway. I'd move twice as quickly walking.

The Ghoul

The Ghoul

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 18, 2010, 03:41:29 AM
Predator would win.

/pulls up sleeves

Alrighty, grasshopper.

Welcome to AvPGalaxy. Every time you spout this nonsense, one of the Cool Kids is gonna come over and give you a throwdown, 'cause at AvPGalaxy we believe in proper evidence, open-mindedness and fairness towards the fans of all franchises. Batter-atter-atter...

I'm going to make this quick and simple by listing the kind of things Aliens pull off and what movie it's in. This is what we consider undeniable canon. The Alien has:

- Moved at incredible speeds. (A1, on the tracker, A3)
- Survived the plasma thrusters of a spacecraft. (A1)
- Survived having ten tons of molten lead dumped on it. (A3)
- Survived small arms weapon fire. (A2, pistols. Sometimes against the pulse rifles, too)
- Blew out candles to confuse and lure prey. (A3)
- Set traps (A4).
- Weaponised its own bleeding body. (AvP, twice)
- Ripped through steel doors. (A2, A4)
- Learned about and abused human technology. (A2, A4)

Not saying anything definitive, but I think your equation might be back to front. Aliens exist to overrule the life-cycles of all other species. They're very effective at this in general. Predators are not magically immune to this; their role is to be the only ones who are consistently able to resist the Aliens in combat, and even then it's never a sure thing. Every Alien a Predator fights might be their last.

And there's no guarantee that all Predator clans know about the Aliens, and if they do, there's no guarantee they have experience fighting against them or the tools they need. To them, Aliens could be a distant, mysterious enemy that only the mightiest of Predator warriors survive against. We don't know.

But the point is that the canon of each franchise does suggest a semblance of balance, something roughly on the lines of 1:1 all up.

'Course, there are different opinions here, but the general agreement is that Aliens are in no way fodder for the Predators.
Brava madass, brava.  ;D

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: SiL on May 18, 2010, 09:01:06 AM
Twice, maybe -- but Dallas was moving hell'a slowly anyway. I'd move twice as quickly walking.

'S a good point. My own interpretation of the scene always was that the Alien is meant to leave Dallas in the dust though, the point being that the Alien is much more mobile in a confined space, even taking its dorsal handicaps into account.

Basically, since Riddles was saying to me "Yeah dude the Alien is supposed to be pretty fast I guess" I was thinking "Yeah the Alien moves pretty fast I guess".

SM

SM

Evidence of fast is when it nails Parker.

The duct doesn't exactly show speed, though yes it is faster than Dallas especially considering it's size, not to mention how quiet it was.

Richardus

Richardus

Alien

Reasons

•Design – more horrifying looking than that predator but that's my  personal  thought
•I love its secondary jaw  I've always been fascinated  by it since I watched ALIEN
•Acid for blood – perfect weapon for defence in close encounter with a foe
•Life cycle of the creatures scares me e.g. idea of getting smothered by facehugger and aftermath of what happens next makes my chest feel weird,  along with what it turns into.
•Intelligence – able to operate an elevator/ turn off lights/ knows its acid can be used as weapon.
•Merciless – does not care about your age, what your gender is , if you are sick, if a woman is pregnant or if you armed or not it will not hesitate to take you.

How ever I do like the predator technology and their code of honour and I love the mask designs they have and along with its wrist blades which are cool.

Its just predator doesn't come first to me as it relies on its tools to win battles e.g cloaking device or plasma caster and vision modes.  If it didn't have its tools it wouldn't be anything to me just a crab looking muscular lizard if you remove its gear.  Sorry predator fans just how feel about it. I remember that some one said the alien won't be anything without a host which is true but we don't know how it became to be in the first place. 

Another reason

•Mystery

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Without it's tools the predator is a fast, durable and breathtakingly strong killing machine. For your interest. I  don't find in aliens as much elegance and beauty, mixed with ferocity. They kill,  seemingly because they know no other way. It doesn't hold mysetry for me. As for preds, they obviously know other ways... they just for some reasons have other ways, and it gives a lot of food for thoughts. also they are absoéutely beautiful and graceful, yet agressive but with high intellect.
But don't think I wish to say you're wrong or anything, I like your reasoning. Only I though I'll say my words as well.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

I agree with yeyinde.

An instinct driven beast like an Alien for me is not as interesting as something like a Hunter who looks for challenge. There's something deep about it. Predators choose their prey very carefully. They are driven by the thrill of the hunt. It's just so fascinating for me. I especially like it that Predator have a honour code and they don't kill mindlessly anything that comes in their way. They are out for themselves to be tested. Also their technology, their way of killing... it's always different, always new...

I love the design of the Alien though and the "hive" structure with a Queen beeing the leader like we see in nature always made it very interesting, but somehow it does not hold the same profound fascination for me as Preds.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed