Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,445 times)

SM

SM

There you go.  He never did say it.

Ron Cobb made the name up.  Weyland is a take on British Leyland, and Yutani was one of Cobb's neighbours.  He originally wanted Leyland Toyota, but obviously couldn't use that name.  Then they further dropped the D.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: Weasel on Nov 03, 2008, 11:52:57 PM
AVPR wins even though it's plot and acting or more terrible, simply because it had more action, had the R rating it needed, and leads finally (hopefully) into space. If it wasn't for AVPs predalien ending, we could get that space action because we wouldn't have to link it to that exact time. AVP has generally cleaner and better plot, but certain elements make it garbage. The only reason to watch that movie is the Grid vs Scar battle. The lack of action makes it snore fest because the plot in itself is not enough to drive it forward.

Does a film need an R rating? I thought the action in AvP was much better than AvPR, which got repetitive as simply predator shoots, spears, slices alien in very dark areas, making it hard to see. The violence in AvP was stylized too, such as the when Scar's shuriken slices through the facehugger and the scene slows slightly, rather than the Wolf bashing things to death with his weapons, which gets old quickly. Yes AvpR had more action, but it was wolf/human shoots alien, wolf spears alien, alien facehugs/ kills human. And it all looked the same. The only exception was the end fight scene, which made no sense,(none of the alien's blood even touched the predator when it should have, took mask off.)

AvpR was too dark, it didn't make for a more frightening atmosphere, it just made things very hard to see, the film was also a lot less tense, which I think was caused because of the urban setting, compared to an ancient pyramid. In a city one is familiar with the environment which provides a degree of assurance for the viewer, in a strange, unfamiliar environment that feeling is lost because one does not know where to go for help.

About creature design in AvP... so what? If the predators had mutated to have fur and rectangular ears I'd understand but they look extremely similar to me to the predators in the predator films. I personally don't judge films on slight variations of characters, like if they have a broader chest width to emphasize their heroic nature or extra teeth to humanize them.

Some people have said avp has worse acting. Please explain.

AvPR had gore. A lot of films have gore, buckets of gore does not improve my opinion of films.

AvPR made no sense in some respects. Why skin human beings when you're trying to eliminate evidence? Why take the mask off when a big deadly pred-alien could ram a barbed tail into you at any time? When the alien got shot having leapt on the helicopter window screen, why didn't it's blood even touch the screen? When the Wolf spun around and slammed his blade into the predalein's ribcage how come no blood came out?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the crappy dialogue of AvPR: "hey, people are dying, we need guns." I can understand people being direct in life and death situations but did we really need: "People are dying."
Also: "The government doesn't lie to people."

Requiem28

Requiem28

like i said. the moves were better than avp1. in the first fight scene, they were just lying on each other and rolled around. in AVPR, the predator actually is more acrobatic and primative.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: requiem28 on Dec 16, 2008, 09:14:24 PM
like i said. the moves were better than avp1. in the first fight scene, they were just lying on each other and rolled around. in AVPR, the predator actually is more acrobatic and primative.

Agreed about the rolling around bit, when I saw the Celtic-Grid fight scene for the first 3 times, I thought it was one of the most amazing things of all time, and then afterwards, noticed just how much of the scene was taken up by Grid and Celtic rolling around. Still, the intital Rugby tackle by Celtic and subsequent body slams and throw were quite brilliant.

I don't know what you mean by acrobatic, Wolf does his own share of body slams and doesn't really leap around. In AvP during the final fight scene with the queen, Scar leapt into the air, and mid-leap slammed his spear into the alien queen's head. I don't know how much more acrobatic you can get than that.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Wolf was more mobile. The AvP Preds were lumbering hulks.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 16, 2008, 10:35:41 PM
Wolf was more mobile. The AvP Preds were lumbering hulks.

I'm rewatching AvPR and I can't see how, the AvP predators were bulkier but seemed to be equally agile, examples include Celtic whipping up the net-gun, firing it and dodging out of the way so Grid crashed through the floor instead of on him and the above mentioned spinning leap at the alien queen. Wolf seemed to move just like the AvP predators.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Yet the AvP Preds couldn't outrun a human, or even bring their arms close to their chests. Case in point: watch Celtic bring his arm around after he pushes that guy down the ice shaft. It's almost as if he's doing a right hook, it's so big.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I still think that both movies are decent. AVPR had more action with the Aliens and Predator which I wanted to see from the first movie but the first movie had a better story and good visual effects. So both movies are ok but nothing good or great 6/10.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 17, 2008, 04:28:58 AM
Yet the AvP Preds couldn't outrun a human, or even bring their arms close to their chests. Case in point: watch Celtic bring his arm around after he pushes that guy down the ice shaft. It's almost as if he's doing a right hook, it's so big.

I can see what you mean by the giant arm movements, but to be fair to the actor, the predators suits were pretty bulky, it didn't seem like such a big deal if you watched the movie casually, as events distracted the audience from the predators themselves, (such as the act of the guy getting pushed down the ice shaft, the guy was a nice coverup of potentially awkward predator movements.) I actually prefer my predators nice and bulky, they look more formidable as brawlers against the aliens, likewise, I also like the nice 'hunter' look of Wolf, as he appears more agile by his apperance, and personally thought the AvP movies could be improved by adding both 'types' of predators to perhaps empahise different roles and personalities in different predators.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Good for you if you liked them, but I'd rather see my Predators as the agile warrior John McTiernan gave us back in 1987 :)

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Dec 16, 2008, 09:31:11 PM
I don't know what you mean by acrobatic, Wolf does his own share of body slams and doesn't really leap around. In AvP during the final fight scene with the queen, Scar leapt into the air, and mid-leap slammed his spear into the alien queen's head. I don't know how much more acrobatic you can get than that.

i meant that wolf did more leaping from place to place, like in the power plant. also, in almost every next scene, you could tell he was coming cause of the bongos, and then he would jump down out of nowhere.

DB

DB

I was actually hoping they'd show Wolf as a very agile or even acrobatic fighter, especially since he looks far more lithe than his AvP cousins. Damn shame he never had to use his "awesome warrior skills". The closest the movie comes to that is a few of his maneuvers in the Chet fight.

I would've liked to have seen the first AvP present bigger differences in its Predators. Maybe have had Celtic as a large, physically powerful Predator while portraying Scar as a smaller, but faster Predator who'd rely on near perfect movements to fight the Aliens in CC.

The Demon

The Demon

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Dec 18, 2008, 05:10:21 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 17, 2008, 04:28:58 AM

I can see what you mean by the giant arm movements, but to be fair to the actor, the predators suits were pretty bulky, it didn't seem like such a big deal if you watched the movie casually, as events distracted the audience from the predators themselves, (such as the act of the guy getting pushed down the ice shaft, the guy was a nice coverup of potentially awkward predator movements.) I actually prefer my predators nice and bulky, they look more formidable as brawlers against the aliens, likewise, I also like the nice 'hunter' look of Wolf, as he appears more agile by his apperance, and personally thought the AvP movies could be improved by adding both 'types' of predators to perhaps empahise different roles and personalities in different predators.

The Predators are hunters. I don't think they should be anything more than that.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Hunters dont need to be able to muscle around what they hunt,

dont see us bulking up to try and take on elephants etc.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: DB on Dec 19, 2008, 11:36:24 PM
I was actually hoping they'd show Wolf as a very agile or even acrobatic fighter, especially since he looks far more lithe than his AvP cousins. Damn shame he never had to use his "awesome warrior skills". The closest the movie comes to that is a few of his maneuvers in the Chet fight.

And when he was hopping around the power plant, jumping from level to level.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed