Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,422 times)

Hell-Scorpion

Hell-Scorpion

Ugh, can't believe that AVP is doing better than Requiem. That movie was pure shit with a sideorder of piss and battery acid. How does Anderson keep getting work?! And that commentary, I didn't think much of him before then but after all I could think is what a f**king moron. I can think of only four good things about AVP: 1) Scar's mask looked somewhat like the Predator's in the first film, 2)The chick with the weird hair cut reminded me a bit of Vasquez, 3) I don't know how they got Colin Salmon or Sanaa Lathan (not that her character was really great or anything) but they did, and 4) The inclusion of the Desert Eagle (even if the ones are chambered for .44 Magnum).

AVPR, I feel that it wasn't given much to work with. Like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation it followed another toned down Anderson shitfest, but unlike Annihilation they actually made the sequel work a little.

Though truth be told if a third film ever happens I hope these two are retconned and revealed to be simulations.

SM

SM

I'm seeing four good things about AvP and none about AvP:Poo.

UFO-Man

UFO-Man

My vote is on AVP.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

AVP also gave us a better Queen, a better Predator/Xeno fight scene, a solid lead character, and some lighting. 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Oct 24, 2013, 12:37:42 PM
AVP also gave us a better Queen, a better Predator/Xeno fight scene, a solid lead character, and some lighting. 

It had a visually interesting set, too. I loved the pyramid concept and found it to be one of the strongest things the movie had going for it.

And if a movie with Aliens in it has to be set on modern day Earth, Antarctica is the best place to do it.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 24, 2013, 04:51:31 PM

And if a movie with Aliens in it has to be set on modern day Earth, Antarctica is the best place to do it.

I would've preferred some remote unexplored jungle.  It would've upped the threat of world infestation by giving the aliens quicker access to prey and kept the predators in their traditionally hot environment.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Keeping the Aliens isolated is the only way to keep their character intact. The Alien films were based around keeping them as far away from large populations as possible. Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 26, 2013, 04:23:38 AM
Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.
As would be sticking them in a contemporary town.

oh wait

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Omegazilla on Oct 26, 2013, 05:51:58 AM
Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.
As would be sticking them in a contemporary town.

oh wait

Oh you...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Keeping the Aliens isolated is the only way to keep their character intact. The Alien films were based around keeping them as far away from large populations as possible. Sticking them right in the middle of a densely forested area rife with fauna and having it end with anything less than global destruction is a pretty big slap in the face to Ripley and her sacrifice in the third film.

Considering A3 was a slap in the face to the entire franchise, I'm not sure it matters anymore.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I wouldn't call Alien 3 a slap in the face to the entire franchise so much as I would call it a slap in the face to Cameron's intentions at the end of Aliens.

That (and plot holes in the first five minutes) aside, Alien 3 very much had the look, feel, and tone of an Alien film while spinning it off in its own direction and providing definite closure on Ripley's story arc (for the time being, of course).

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

A change of setting isn't going to hurt if the outcome remains the same.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

But if it was set in a jungle or any other area attached to the mainland the outcome probably wouldn't remain the same. Aliens would reach the population, and humanity would be screwed.

That's what Ripley died to prevent.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Aliens did reach the population if you count AVPR, but the point is only the queen made it out of the pyramid alive and she was dispatched shortly thereafter.  No aliens were left to cause any trouble.  They could have been in a jungle, a city, or an ostrich farm, it makes no difference, but the threat would be greater.

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong about Antarctica,  just that I had a different preference.

SM

SM

How about them over-running the cradle of humanity and showing up on every second colony for decade after decade and just being a general nuisance in countless comics, novels and computer games?

;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed