Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jan 18, 2017, 02:24:53 PM

Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Yes
No
Author
Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters? (Read 15,526 times)

Scorpio

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 19, 2017, 05:55:58 AM
On the other hand I always preferred the montage showing each person's death in the TC. (The way the screen is shot in the AC doesn't feel nearly as compelling by comparison to the super close up computer images.)

Those super-imposed graphics take you out of the movie, though.  I like how it's just Andrews, bureaucratically typing on a computer.  Very nihilistic, very Alien 3, the way that was done.  It makes their deaths seem even more throwaway. 

StrangeShape

Nah, for me the typing on the computer was completely flat dramatically, as if watching a secretary in an office. Even the music doesnt help. In TC, the text appears to the audience revealing, even as a text, in a very chilling and dramatic way with the help of a cue, the terrible fate of each of the last movie's survivors. That moment when the text appears with a message saying "dead" and that creepy, startling note comes up along with the photo of the body, its a heart dropping moment

But again, to each their own

Scorpio

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 22, 2017, 05:34:02 AM
as if watching a secretary in an office.

That's the point.  The bureaucratic, cold, unfeeling nature fits very well into that universe.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 23, 2017, 02:43:04 AM
as if watching a secretary in an office.

That's the point.  The bureaucratic, cold, unfeeling nature fits very well into that universe.

I didnt get is as "cold", I got it as completely no other emotion than just a bored secretary, as if someone spliced somebody writing their e-mail. I thought the soundtrack along with the actual reveal that they died was much more stronger and hitting emotionally, than just blankly typing it out without anything. For me, that was cold , and horrifying - seeing their name appear and then  the sudden BAM! "dead", and a shot of their bodies. Soundtrack really works wonders in there. Seeing someone typing their homework almost completely ruins the emotional terror and weight of the scene, for me at least

OpenMaw

Nah, for me the typing on the computer was completely flat dramatically, as if watching a secretary in an office. Even the music doesnt help. In TC, the text appears to the audience revealing, even as a text, in a very chilling and dramatic way with the help of a cue, the terrible fate of each of the last movie's survivors. That moment when the text appears with a message saying "dead" and that creepy, startling note comes up along with the photo of the body, its a heart dropping moment

But again, to each their own

You feel me.

Plus it also has a strong continuity with Alien when that version of the event is used.

"WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
"

FiorinaFury161

I would definitely watch the AC in the theaters, cleaned up or not. As for the egg replacement idea, I prefer Local Trouble's idea best. Maybe even just show a few claws peeking in the light. As others have said, a mix of TC and AC would be the prized film version.

Local Trouble

Too bad we can't fix the cryotubes too.

OpenMaw

That is at least one reason I will always prefer Camereon over Fincher wherein the Alien series is concerned. Right down to the camera lenses, editing style, and shot choices he tried to make his film segway from Scott's into his own.

Kimo

The Assembly Cut from the Blu-ray was a little better, but still you can't polish a turd. I was about 13 when Alien3 came out. I'm glad I watched this film for the first time on a shitty VHS cam job, that was being passed around my school. It was like a massive punch in the gut, after being soo excited to watch alien3, after being a massive Alien(s) fan back then. So nope, I will not pay to watch Alien3 with or without the Assembly cut. The only way I would be a tiny bit interested to see A3 on the big screen is if David Fincher made his own director's cut.. but doubt that will ever happen since he wants nothing to do with the film.. However I hope one day he finally gives us his side of the story and at least does a commentary or gets involved in any future documentary about Alien3. Then I may be happy to pay at least for that.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Kimo on Jan 26, 2017, 11:16:59 AM
The Assembly Cut from the Blu-ray was a little better, but still you can't polish a turd. I was about 13 when Alien3 came out. I'm glad I watched this film for the first time on a shitty VHS cam job, that was being passed around my school. It was like a massive punch in the gut, after being soo excited to watch alien3, after being a massive Alien(s) fan back then. So nope, I will not pay to watch Alien3 with or without the Assembly cut. The only way I would be a tiny bit interested to see A3 on the big screen is if David Fincher made his own director's cut.. but doubt that will ever happen since he wants nothing to do with the film.. However I hope one day he finally gives us his side of the story and at least does a commentary or gets involved in any future documentary about Alien3. Then I may be happy to pay at least for that.

The funny thing is, i watched it for the first time when i was about 8 or 9 on VHS. (Its the typical parent thing of you can watch someone get diced in graphic detail in a fan, but if they start having sex Im turning it off lmao). I really enjoyed it. As a kid the darkness and bleakness of the story grabbed me. Its probably what got me into Horror in the first place bar a few Stephen King Books

Corporal Hicks

First time I saw it was when I was 10, straight after finishing watching Aliens all the way through for the first time (had tried twice over the years but got too scared). I remember my Dad warning me it was crap. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now. If anything, finding out more about the development of the film and reading the alternate scripts gave me a greater appreciation for the film.

I know it's a mess though. I don't think it's a flawless film or a masterpiece but there's a lot in there that I love. I just appreciate it more knowing I could have had a wooden planet where a chestburster is exorcised out of Ripley.

Whiskeybrewer

Oh i just had another idea. Might be a bit much but it may work.

Use both the Ox and Dog, but have the Dog Burster be the one shown. So that way its a thing when they show the Queen Facehugger in the abbatoir but thats where its ended up after Facehugging Spike the Dog and Ripley.

Bit Much?

Kimo

Kimo

I can understand why people are Fans of A3. I don't hate it because I think it's a bad film, as in story or acting. I hate it because it really upset me and truly devastated and gutted me when watching it when I was 13. My dad let me watch Alien when I was around 5 and that give me nightmares for weeks. Aliens I watched when I was about 10 and was truly blown away by how cool it was. I literally lived breathed everything Alien(s) in my preteen and teenage years. Then when I heard the were making A3 my puny mind almost exploded with excitement. I was soo hyped for this film then when I finally watched A3, it was such a depressing moment that still sticks with me to this day when I try to watch A3.  :'(

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Kimo on Jan 26, 2017, 12:08:15 PM
Then when I heard the were making A3 my puny mind almost exploded with excitement. I was soo hyped for this film then when I finally watched A3, it was such a depressing moment that still sticks with me to this day when I try to watch A3.  :'(

Think of this though. Would you of looked at Alien 3 differently at the time had they released the Assembly Cut in cinemas instead? I think it truly completes Fincher's vision more and makes it go from like a 4 or 5 star movie to like a 7. Like others have said its not a 120% PERFECT cut of what Alien 3 should of been but its still the closest thing we will probably EVER get.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 26, 2017, 01:03:52 PM
Quote from: Kimo on Jan 26, 2017, 12:08:15 PM
Then when I heard the were making A3 my puny mind almost exploded with excitement. I was soo hyped for this film then when I finally watched A3, it was such a depressing moment that still sticks with me to this day when I try to watch A3.  :'(

Think of this though. Would you of looked at Alien 3 differently at the time had they released the Assembly Cut in cinemas instead? I think it truly completes Fincher's vision more and makes it go from like a 4 or 5 star movie to like a 7. Like others have said its not a 120% PERFECT cut of what Alien 3 should of been but its still the closest thing we will probably EVER get.

Probably would of enjoyed it a tiny bit more. But the 13year old kimo would of still been gutted and disappointed with the outcome. It's mainly because when I was a kid, Aliens was the best thing I've ever seen. I loved the characters, the plot and the guns. Also back then, anyone my age automatically thought we were going to get a bigger and better A3 movie then we got, like More guns and action ect ect. But we never got any of that.

Aliens when I was a kid, was my all time favourite film. But when I was in my 20's Alien has become my favourite from the franchise... (But this got me thinking) If Aliens never existed and A3 became Alien2 and you removed the other characters from Aliens in A3. Then Ripley drifting for 57years then suddenly crash landing on Fury would make a great sequel to Alien. But unfortunately Aliens being such an awesome sequel to Alien just set the benchmark way to high for A3.

I have over the years tried to watch A3 and I've tried to give it a chance. I've come to accepted it, in the alien universe as a solid but poor sequel... But I just can't get that sour taste out of my mouth from the disappointment.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed