The truth about religion - An Atheist perspective

Started by Wolfy, Jun 10, 2007, 01:05:29 AM

Author
The truth about religion - An Atheist perspective (Read 7,628 times)

Uncanny Antman

How is that irony?

I agree with him...I cannot respect beliefs that intrinsically do harm unto others.  Can't and won't.

SM

Isn't that implied in the word "respect"?  Their beliefs aren't respectful of others.  Why would I be talking about about those sorts of beliefs.  Respect doesn't automatically equate to foolishness.

You believe what you want and I'll believe what I want and as long as we don't impose those beliefs on each other no one loses an eye.

Fundamentalist atheists are just as bad as fundamentalist religious nuts, as far as I'm concerned.

gameoverman

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2007, 11:55:25 AMYou believe what you want and I'll believe what I want and as long as we don't impose those beliefs on each other no one loses an eye.

The problem is religion (esp. Islam and Christianity) tries to dominate.  Freedom, science and reason is what we should be aiming for.

Fitzley

But their are examples of atheist philosophies being enforced on people as well. SM is right, at either end of the spectrum you are going to find people who wish to suppress the rights of others either by forcing their religion on to someone, or on the other end of the spectrum, denying people the right to believe whatever they wish.

frost

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 11, 2007, 09:33:13 AM
Quote from: frost on Jun 11, 2007, 08:49:59 AM
Propaganda,inaccurate,loutish,inciteful,and very very damaging.There really should be a law against posting this sort of rubbish on the internet,religion is different totally to faith...

A law to ban free speech?  Where have I heard that before?

And damaging to who?  Religious people?  I'd like to hear why exactly.

Also, "inciteful" isn't a word as far as I am aware, unless you meant insightful.  (Which I doubt, considering the rest of the words you chose.)
to incite to be inciteful,to stir up trouble,or provoke ,look up religion there is a difference between religious people and people of faith.

Fitzley

Fitzley

Incite means all that, inciteful is not a word. Someone who incites is an inciter or an instigator.

Since religion is predicated on faith, I do not see a difference. Religious people by the very definition claim to have faith.

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Fitzley on Jun 11, 2007, 03:38:34 PM
But their are examples of atheist philosophies being enforced on people as well. SM is right, at either end of the spectrum you are going to find people who wish to suppress the rights of others either by forcing their religion on to someone, or on the other end of the spectrum, denying people the right to believe whatever they wish.

I agree. But at least atheism and gnosticism, as said before, is aiming for rationality. Though there are cases of near-death experiences, etc.

frost

frost

Quote from: Fitzley on Jun 11, 2007, 04:56:03 PM
Incite means all that, inciteful is not a word. Someone who incites is an inciter or an instigator.

Since religion is predicated on faith, I do not see a difference. Religious people by the very definition claim to have faith.

it is a word

Fitzley

Jeez man, pick up a dictionary!

SM

QuoteThe problem is religion (esp. Islam and Christianity) tries to dominate.

That's being overly general.  I know a few born again Christians - who have something of a reputation for wanting to convert others.  None of them have ever tried to push their faith on me.  In fact one of them said that religion is something you have to find yourself rather than having it pushed on you.

frost

frost

Quote from: Fitzley on Jun 11, 2007, 08:21:31 PM
Jeez man, pick up a dictionary!
it is a word

I think you will find that is the incorrect use of their or at least the incorrect spelling of there.Jeez as you say pick up a dictionary! :P

SM

Not according to a bunch of dictionaries I just looked up.

frost

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2007, 11:10:57 PM
Not according to a bunch of dictionaries I just looked up.
okay,lets start a new grown up thread 'spell the perfect way with the avp galaxy' :D

Dachande

Go on www.askoxford.com, Inciteful is not a word, now get back on topic

gameoverman

The only way you can force a belief on someone is to instruct them from birth.  Because a kid will believe it's parents as a survival tactic.  This is what religion does.  And if you have a predominantly religious population, when the kid gets older they will have peer pressure to join the crowd. 

I don't know what you mean by atheist philosophies, so I'll just call it humanism

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed