Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 10, 2008, 12:17:08 AM

Author
Dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures (Read 283,884 times)

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Nov 22, 2013, 06:35:23 PM
Interesting. In the Nature Communications study, the researchers place it in the poorly-known Neovenatorid group - making it the first of its kind to be found in North America. They've been found pretty much everywhere else, except Africa (I expect they'll be found there eventually too, the dates of known fossils and land bridges suggest they could have emigrated there).

What about Afrovenator?

Vertigo

That one's a megalosaurid, despite the name. It's also from a hell of a long time before the neovenatorids, which appeared around the earliest Cretaceous.

judge death

Hi everyone, I´m thinking about buying this book:
Prehistoric Life: The Definitive Visual History of Life on Earth
Is very much into prehistoric life and all the way to when us humans came but there is one thing I can find out if this book has it or not:
Does it contain info about the terror birds and more importantly: About the thylacines/Tasmanian tiger which I want to learn more about so if I end up buying the book and it dont have any info about it, then it would be a disaster xD
Anyone here who have readed it and can confirm if the book has info about these animals and if it is a good one?

Vertigo

Actually I have that book, and it's a good one - gives you a great sense of the whole picture of an ecosystem at any given time, and how the different groups evolved together. It's also a decent starting point for learning the evolutionary tree. Unfortunately most of the art is ugly CGI and some of the reconstructions are outdated, but I'd definitely recommend it.
It's a huge book, by the way, over 500 pages. All of them lavishly presented.

Anyway, regarding terror birds and thylacines. The book has a very broad remit, and delivers a brief passage and illustration for significant members of most major groups of lifeforms (including plants and invertebrates) going all the way back. So... terror birds aren't covered, but moas and elephant birds are; Tasmanian tigers aren't (along with most Cenozoic marsupials and monotremes, for some reason) but Thylacosmilus is.
Generally speaking, if you're looking for detailed information on any specific animal, this is not the book for you. It's more of a general history of life on Earth, and in that respect it's pretty damn thorough.

Xenodog

DoomRulz

That's incredible. I'm in awe of how well preserved the skeleton is and wouldn't be surprised if it was nearly 100% intact. I love the comment at the bottom of Cera's last moments :D

Greedo

WOW thats  incredible indeed! , any chance of getting DNA from  that thing and cloning it ? :P

MrSpaceJockey

Accomplish it as fast as you can, and before you even know what you have - patent it, package it, and slap it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
- BAM
you're selling it.

DoomRulz

Quote from: ディロフォサウルス on Nov 27, 2013, 11:38:18 PM
WOW thats  incredible indeed! , any chance of getting DNA from  that thing and cloning it ? :P

Doubt it, I only see bones lol.

Greedo

Diplodocus dinosaur 'Misty' sold at auction for £400,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25128666

DoomRulz

Quote from: ディロフォサウルス on Nov 28, 2013, 10:20:26 AM
Diplodocus dinosaur 'Misty' sold at auction for £400,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25128666

This saddens me. Dinosaur skeletons and fossils belong in a museum, not a private collection. Heck, any ancient artifact does.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Nov 27, 2013, 11:57:04 PM
Accomplish it as fast as you can, and before you even know what you have - patent it, package it, and slap it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
- BAM
you're selling it.
:laugh:

Greedo

Imagine what Deinocheirus could do with those arms though *___*

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

You don't wanna know.

DoomRulz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed