Origins of the dreadlocks?

Started by mightydreadlock, Sep 09, 2007, 01:10:20 AM

Author
Origins of the dreadlocks? (Read 2,418 times)

mightydreadlock

mightydreadlock

Is there any comic or novel that talks about their dreads, culture, genetic or something in between? If so please give the source.

Huol

Huol

Theres probably lots of non canon explanations.
One of which is that they are just hair, and when the pred becomes "blooded" or whatever, he can band them together to make the solid tendrils you see in the movies.
I personally think thats bullshit however.

mightydreadlock

Quote from: Huol on Sep 09, 2007, 01:13:30 AM
Theres probably lots of non canon explanations.
One of which is that they are just hair, and when the pred becomes "blooded" or whatever, he can band them together to make the solid tendrils you see in the movies.
I personally think thats bullshit however.

Source? ;D

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

That's from the Aliens vs Predator: Prey novelisation. I don't like that theory either, if you look at the 'dreads' closely each one comes out from a separate 'follicle' (for lack of a better term) on the back of the head, meaning that each one is a single strand. Interestingly, in the comic Predator: Strange Roux the eponymous creature gets several of its dreadlocks severed by a shotgun blast, and they proceed to bleed.

arnold23

arnold23

^ I like that idea.

mightydreadlock

Well it seems logical that it,s hair since they become greyish with age.

Rotaderp

Rotaderp

Maybe Predators just have some fashion sense or fashion vision as it were.It might not be some ritual or special gift they just want to have cool hair.But i'd like to see a predator with long hair. Just flowing down to shoulder height.

Another option could be its required for hunting or coming of "age" like in the army when they get a buzz cut or when tribes shave the boys hair to become a man.
But how many space creatures have dress code?

SiL

SiL

It's clearly one thick strand of whatever, and not braided.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's not a dreadlock! It's a sensory organ.

mightydreadlock

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 09, 2007, 10:21:55 PM
It's not a dreadlock! It's a sensory organ.

Seriously doubt it. Would it become greyish with age if it was not hair? Ok it could be one thick straind (not braided) but it would still be some kind of hair. look at the hairs the pred has on his brow, very thick short black hairs, are these sensory organs aswell, i doubt it!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's just like people getting paler or wrinklier. That's all the greying is.

SiL

SiL

Such a great sensory organ that Gill still got killed from a sneak attack.

Rotaderp

Rotaderp

I dont think it works that way...thats more of a radar then "sensory organ".If it was a SO it would be something simple like sense a disturbance in the air or water.But its a pretty good theory and with age they lose effectiveness.Do you think they become thicker with age to?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Sep 09, 2007, 10:48:00 PM
Such a great sensory organ that Gill still got killed from a sneak attack.

I told you. It allows him to see into alternative dimensions and he was distracted looking at Alternative Gill.

mightydreadlock

mightydreadlock

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 09, 2007, 10:46:44 PM
It's just like people getting paler or wrinklier. That's all the greying is.

look at the hairs the pred has on his brow, very thick short black hairs
(also grey on the elder in pred2), are these sensory organs aswell, i doubt it!

Although, if AVP2 is canon, it must be some kind of organ because the hybrid has them, i doubt an alien would have hair. I still think Winston,s idea was that it was hair. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed