New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 119,014 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Dec 06, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
Predator can be a story around a campfire but making it into Jason losses its nuance as well as ignores that it's a sports hunter first and that everything it does is built around that.

I believe the thinking here is a Predator needs to be filmed much like a slasher film.  But I agree, there's much more to a Predator than Jason that should always stay intact - that he's not a mindless psychopathic monster or the incarnate of evil but an other worldly sports hunter from an ancient race on a thrill of a hunt. The equivelant to what we saw in Predator/Predator 2.

Jigsaw85

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Dec 06, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
Predator can be a story around a campfire but making it into Jason losses its nuance as well as ignores that it's a sports hunter first and that everything it does is built around that.

I never said he was like Jason as a character, just his presence and mystique is comparable. Something that gets ruined the second you start explaining anything beyond "It kills for sport."

Sol

I also hate how the Preds have been shown to do close range combat, with the exception of The Predator. I feel it's time to showcase them in a whole new light now, in terms of how they fight. No more slow "Kaiju-style" fighting. I think it would be really cool to depict them utilizing some form of combat techniques, similar to Martial Arts. Strong, quick lunges. Show off power, and play to their massive size in a way that makes sense.

These beings are capable of leaping incredibly high in the air, moving at great speeds, all while at any given time carrying around half a ton in their own weight, plus the weight of mechanical equipment. I would love to see them do more than oddly choreographed slap moves. And if we stick to wrastlin', at least go all the way.

My theory is directors are scared to do anything with the Pred, with regards to fights outside of what they saw the first do against Dutch. I think that was less of Anytime/Jungle Hunter doing all he was capable of, and more him "playing with his food", in a sense.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Sol on Dec 07, 2020, 02:50:39 AM
I also hate how the Preds have been shown to do close range combat, with the exception of The Predator. I feel it's time to showcase them in a whole new light now, in terms of how they fight. No more slow "Kaiju-style" fighting. I think it would be really cool to depict them utilizing some form of combat techniques, similar to Martial Arts. Strong, quick lunges. Show off power, and play to their massive size in a way that makes sense.

These beings are capable of leaping incredibly high in the air, moving at great speeds, all while at any given time carrying around half a ton in their own weight, plus the weight of mechanical equipment. I would love to see them do more than oddly choreographed slap moves. And if we stick to wrastlin', at least go all the way.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m705s0dI1C1rb15i1o1_r1_500.gifhttps://i.imgur.com/GPD2Sbg.gifhttps://i.imgur.com/OY7MUXY.gif

My theory is directors are scared to do anything with the Pred, with regards to fights outside of what they saw the first do against Dutch. I think that was less of Anytime/Jungle Hunter doing all he was capable of, and more him "playing with his food", in a sense.

THANK YOU!

I've been wanting fast and agile Predators for YEARS! If Predators are able to jump high and long distances of going to point A to point B, how is it not possible for them to be any quicker in close quarter combat? We see how their agility and speed works in conjunction with their strength in videogames such as Predator: Concrete Jungle and even as guest fighters in Mortal Kombat 10. They are a sapient warrior-hunter race, are they not? So how is there no showing of their martial prowess, any type of fighting style or technique shown in any of the films?

Its kind of the reasons why the fight between Mr Black and Crucified was such a let down after being used to the epic boss fights in Concrete Jungle. Even the fights between Terminators in the Terminator franchise show that these machines go at it hardcore, with the slamming of objects onto each other, fists, powerful kicks, and throwing each other into walls with such weight and power to demonstrate these are powerhouses. Their fights pretty much convey that these are killing machines designed for extreme combat and not people with suits and makeup. I'm surprised the folks who done the Predator fight scene even think of mixing acting fight chorography with CGI to show skill and ability like we see in the past Terminator films.

However going back to this point for the new film, it would help create what The Predator tried to do with a bigger and badder Predator, making Predators a real and dangerous threat. By portraying the originals with speed and agility in their fighting, to complement their immense strength, to show that taking these beings head on is near impossible, you must be forced to find alternate ways of killing it. Perfectly cement to us that the stakes are high and its not going to go well for the main characters of the film.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Dec 05, 2020, 02:23:16 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 04, 2020, 07:02:41 AM
We talked about this on our next podcast. The Comanche actually existed until around the 19th century, and their entire culture was actually driven by the trade of horses, so I don't think it's unreasonable that by pre-Colonisation, it might mean prior to the Comanche actually being f**ked over which could extend into the 19th century.

Wait, you misread my comment. I'm not saying that the Comanche tribe didn't exist in that time. Its the fact that horses were not a thing during pre-colonialization times. Horses would not roam the North American lands, until the 16th century,  as Spanish explorer HernĂ¡n Cortez brought horses on his own expedition from Europe in 1519, reintroducing them to mainland America starting with Mexico. Which would be colonial times, which the movie does not take place in.

I'm saying that the Comanche as a particular tribe and culture didn't exist until the horses drove that culture, so the whole pre-Colonial aspect might just be in reference to that particular tribe. We didn't use the term pre-Colonial when we reported this (and we were the ones to report it) only that it was taking place before terrorities were taken over.

The Comanche angle came from the Skulls report. So if it's before the Comanche terrorities were taken over, it could extend into the 19th century and if it is the Comanche it will feature horseback because that was one of the defining elements that made them Comanche.

Of course, it could all end up being some Hollywood blend of different tribes.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

We risk however to end up with fights looking like the ones in predators, the hanzo one and the pred on pred one.

germanator2

Whether they had horses or not during that time, is historical accuracy a huge thing for you guys for a Predator movie??

Sol

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 07, 2020, 10:44:39 AM
We risk however to end up with fights looking like the ones in predators, the hanzo one and the pred on pred one.

Oh, that's definitely not what I'm thinking of. Not even the right direction.

Stitch

Quote from: germanator2 on Dec 07, 2020, 11:50:32 AM
Whether they had horses or not during that time, is historical accuracy a huge thing for you guys for a Predator movie??
To a certain extent. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. You have to ground the film otherwise it just becomes meaningless fantasy where anything can happen.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Sol on Dec 07, 2020, 12:10:18 PM

I agree, it looked bad. But that's the difficulty with this creature, when you show too much, it quickly slips into silly territory, and the guy in a latex suit struggling to execute a choregraphy is the only thing you end up seeing.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 07, 2020, 01:36:32 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 07, 2020, 12:10:18 PM

I agree, it looked bad. But that's the difficulty with this creature, when you show too much, it quickly slips into silly territory, and the guy in a latex suit struggling to execute a choregraphy is the only thing you end up seeing.

It's not that they would be showing too much. It's that what little we already see currently IS bad choreography.

What I'm asking for is better choreography. Other films with the same amount of costume work are able to do it.

So what we have is purposely bad choreography, not limitations from the suit work.

skhellter

The Hanzo fight was bad from start to finish.. choreography, direction...

a bore.

Actually liked how mobile the predators were in Shane Black's film. Shane can't really direct action but the stuntmen and whoever animated the Predators was doing good work.

HuDaFuK

The build-up to the fight was excellent though.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2020, 02:30:59 PM
The build-up to the fight was excellent though.

I think it's fair to credit Billy's build-up for that.

HuDaFuK

Not really. Even if it was an obvious homage, they still did a good job putting it together. No different to how Predator 2 aped the same scene so effectively with King Willie, or Aliens with the slaughterhouse massacre.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed