In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,795 times)

Shinawi

Shinawi

The level of worsening situations seem to be exponential. I might as well give up and go back to gaming...

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Prez on Sep 16, 2020, 06:32:26 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2020, 12:50:14 AM
And if you live near the coast you can just sell your house to Aquaman.

Duuuuuude.

Considering the Obamas bought 29.3 waterfront acres less than a year ago, maybe they have gills?  :P

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/a30169311/barack-michelle-obama-buy-marthas-vineyard-house/

426Buddy

426Buddy

Pretty sure their property there could be destroyed by floods and he would be just fine.  :D

There are a lot of people living on coastlines that can't just hop on a plane to one of their other vacation homes.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Crazy that they can waste $11.75 Million if that's what they believe will happen.

SiL

SiL

Or they listened to the science and know that even with the most pessimistic projections it's still decades before the area becomes uninhabitable and they can enjoy it while it lasts?

Rich people spend money on ephemeral pleasures, breaking news at 6.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Wait I thought we were joking?

What kinda time table are you expecting? Projections seem to generally predict water levels will rise 30cm by 2050. I think Martha's Vinyard has a little time left.

If we are talking the threat from natural disaster, well thats never stopped a rich person from buying beach property before. :laugh:

SiL

SiL

QuoteWait I thought we were joking?
Unfortunately there are many, many people who think that those who believe in anthropogenic climate change buying sea side property is proof they're full of shit.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Yeah, they're not unlike this imbecile who brought a snowball to the Senate as a prop and acted like it was a mic drop moment.

SiL

SiL

We had a dickhead politician who brought a lump of coal into parliament and mocked the opposition, asking who was afraid of it.

That same dickhead is now the Prime Minister.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd gladly trade you our imbeciles for your dickheads.

Huggs

Huggs

Indeed.

And one of my personal favorites.

I'd throw in some Rick Perry, but I just dont have the strength.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Sep 16, 2020, 10:59:27 PM
Or they listened to the science and know that even with the most pessimistic projections it's still decades before the area becomes uninhabitable and they can enjoy it while it lasts?

Rich people spend money on ephemeral pleasures, breaking news at 6.

You must have missed Al Gore say repeatedly as late as 2009 that the Arctic summer sea ice may be entirely melted by 2013-2014. Then, in 2010, he purchased a 9 million beachfront property in Montecito.

News at 6. Some people don't believe exactly what they're peddling. Don't make excuses for them, on either side!  :P

SiL

SiL

You just have missed the part where we were talking about the Obama's.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

No, didn't miss it. I brought the Obamas up. ;)

And here is how the Obamas are using loopholes for that very coastline property to maintain, even expand upon a seawall that is bad for the environment:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/15/hawaii-news/obama-and-the-beach-house-loopholes/

It's all to a larger point. I've seen enough hyprocacy in politicians to never give any of them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to hyprocacy. Too often they're only on one side. Theirs.

SiL

SiL

The article makes it pretty clear it's not the Obama's doing it themselves, but you do you.

Also the article mentions the laws around the easements are changing specifically to address climate change concerns. Almost like it's a thing people might want to campaign about. Weird.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed