In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,275 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't know if my memory of childhood is tinted or not but younger people today seem increasingly more disrespectful towards teachers and others in general now-a-days too. I would hate to be a teacher.

broughtpain

broughtpain

Hopefully people can realize that the teacher wasn't as much of an issue as the sensationalizing and hyperbole that's gone on. I don't know what kind of relationship the teacher had with the kid or what kind of understanding there was, but I know that it's easier to negate damage when it's simply a matter of an asshole being an asshole and leaving it at that. There's also the possibility that the whole family is nothing but assholes and they are celebrating their douchebaggery now...

As for teachers in general, I have little respect for them. There's been way too much bullshit with unions, pushing political agendas, stealing, prejudice and other crap for me take the default position that teachers should be respected.

...there's also the issue of how people freak out when it's a Muslim kid but don't say shit when it's a Christian kid.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/teacher-tells-student-deny-god-124514662.html

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2016, 11:31:37 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2016, 11:27:58 AM
Teachers have to put up with a huge amount of bullshit
Preach! The volume of people who think teachers work 9-3 on school days and f**k around the rest of the year is as large as it is ignorant. Teachers get a hell of a lot of unfair treatment from people, particularly parents.
Wow that was strange... so defensive over the "bullshit" teachers get but the moment one f**ks up and says something wrong, f**k them? ok...

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
I don't know if my memory of childhood is tinted or not but younger people today seem increasingly more disrespectful towards teachers and others in general now-a-days too. I would hate to be a teacher.
No, I think it is about the same, school wise. From what I see here. Disrespect is pretty much at a constant level for the past 40 years in the classroom. It may have spiked for a while during the mid 90's soccer mom era, where teachers were expected to be cool. That of course didn't work but that time has passed long ago.

The one thing I've notice that has changed, dramatically, for the worse; is parental respect and public courtesy. When I was a teenager and before, we acted stupid, foul language etc but the moment another person, especially old folks and kids came along, we'd shut up and act civil. Now days I see many more kids behaving like savages in front of everyone. Not to mention the amount with their eyes glued to a smartphone. And respect towards parents, holy f**k has that declined. Which I guess makes sense since parental disciplined has also tanked. I don't even want to get into the ones that think this is the dark ages and demoralize their kids to "man them up". Non the less to many parents are out right negligent in raising their children. The only discipline most get is inside of school but the moment the bells rings... it's like emptying the penitentiary.

It's not just k-12 but also college kids. I think we just failed them out right.

Oh and I seriously meant the negligent part; we should hold parents responsible for their kids and prosecute parental f**k ups. Yea that's just sarcasm but I mean holy f**k it really makes me wonder.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 05, 2016, 01:10:54 PMWow that was strange... so defensive over the "bullshit" teachers get but the moment one f**ks up and says something wrong, f**k them? ok...

Getting fired for losing your rag and calling a 12 year-old kid a terrorist is not bullshit.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Unfortunately this is now the very much the culture, someone does one thing wrong and instantly social media is demonising them without knowing any real details, virtually destroying their lives, its actually sick. Either that or groups of people just demand and protest for people to loose their jobs and just get their way without any kind of real investigation. I agree with Whiterabbit that an investigation is required here, the story just seems too loose, too odd, it sounds like there is much more behind it, much more to the story. The parents, activists, social media and the media are just jumping on one aspect of it.

Its all fine and good people just jumping on the 'fire him/her!' bandwagon, but people would soon change their tune if it's them that's made a mistake and in the firing line.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2016, 01:23:11 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 05, 2016, 01:10:54 PMWow that was strange... so defensive over the "bullshit" teachers get but the moment one f**ks up and says something wrong, f**k them? ok...

Getting fired for losing your rag and calling a 12 year-old kid a terrorist is not bullshit.

I haven't read that the teacher 'lost her rag'

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Never thought I'd agree with Hubbs but I utterly despise the mob mentality and I do believe that incidents should be investigated properly before being acted on. It's why I don't like expressing an opinion on most of the news posted as I never believe I've got all the information and can't express informed opinions.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: whiterabbit on Apr 05, 2016, 01:10:54 PM
Wow that was strange... so defensive over the "bullshit" teachers get but the moment one f**ks up and says something wrong, f**k them? ok...
It's not strange at all. When teachers get abused for unfair things, it's bullshit. When they call one of their students, to their face, in class, a terrorist, then they are not the sort of person who should be looking after children. It's really simple.

QuoteUnfortunately this is now the very much the culture, someone does one thing wrong and instantly social media is demonising them without knowing any real details, virtually destroying their lives, its actually sick. Either that or groups of people just demand and protest for people to loose their jobs and just get their way without any kind of real investigation. I agree with Whiterabbit that an investigation is required here, the story just seems too loose, too odd, it sounds like there is much more behind it, much more to the story. The parents, activists, social media and the media are just jumping on one aspect of it.
The teacher didn't deny saying it, only that she was trying to make some sort of point. This isn't a profound conspiracy, it's a teacher doing the wrong damn thing and suffering the consequences. You keep talking about college kids having to face reality some time: here it is for one of them. You f**k up at work, you get fired. That's life.

If the news said someone got fired for calling their boss a terrorist to their face while at work we'd all be sitting here saying "Well no shit, what did they expect?"

If the school doesn't fire them, that's their call to make, too. They have grounds to do so, but it's at their discretion.

broughtpain

broughtpain

Well, after looking at the issue a little more, I hope the teacher gets an apology, a raise, a paid vacation then becomes teacher of the year. I hope the boy and his family get sent to sensitivity classes and pay a fine. Then move. But not by me.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2016, 01:42:43 PM
Never thought I'd agree with Hubbs but I utterly despise the mob mentality and I do believe that incidents should be investigated properly before being acted on. It's why I don't like expressing an opinion on most of the news posted as I never believe I've got all the information and can't express informed opinions.
Yea I agree with you there.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2016, 08:34:20 PM
If the news said someone got fired for calling their boss a terrorist to their face while at work we'd all be sitting here saying "Well no shit, what did they expect?"

If the school doesn't fire them, that's their call to make, too. They have grounds to do so, but it's at their discretion.
While I understand the example you posted almost no respectable company does that anymore unless it's to save their public image. Yes, for purely monetary reasons. Besides that's not the type of society I want to strive for. There should be a protocol to handling things such as these before termination. In my school time this would be handled with a slap on the wrist and an apology. It would be duly noted of course but almost every instance everything worked out in the long run. Even school kids get the same asinine part of the deal with "zero tolerance" policies and that should end as well. This sterile culture of machine minds is not what I want to see.

Then again if there is a pattern of misappropriate behavior then termination is warranted. A suspension is definitely warranted if the facts of the complaint are proven. Still to summarily "hang" a person even if the allegations are true is tad amount to a witch hunt and that type of attitude is something that we don't need. I honestly hate this way of gotcha politics.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Someone getting fired from their job should be the last resort really, unless its clear cut gross misconduct of some kind or you've run out of strikes in a safety critical position.

I simply think in this case, there is more than meets the eye going on, because I don't believe a female teacher would casually say that to a child for no reason. Still a silly thing to say, especially these days, but it really feels like there is more to this.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It was a crude and racially offensive joke. However intent should be taken into consideration when talking about somebody's livelihood. If true there should be punishment but not head rolling.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 05, 2016, 11:37:54 AM

I feel the same way. Kids these days are rude as well, and only getting ruder. I'm not even talking about teens, I mean kids ages 8 - 12.  Most have the mouths of a 35 year old drunkard. And not in a funny "I found out what swearing was" way, in a "f**k you all, I'm king of the castle" way.

Whiskeybrewer

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Christ! Morons.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Common sense. Many no longer possess it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed