Author
In The News (Read 1,414,413 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 22, 2016, 11:12:45 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 22, 2016, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 22, 2016, 09:32:10 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 22, 2016, 08:30:25 PM
Sanders' grasp of economics is as good as a witch doctor's grasp of medicine. He keeps thinking that all that needs to be done is redistribute wealth and tax the rich at higher rates. Sorry Bernie but you're drive the people who keep your economy afloat out of the country with policies like that. As for the education being irrelevant, well, what do you expect when you raise a generation of kids to be entitled brats who end up studying wasteful fields like gender studies or liberal arts? They aren't transferable skills.
Actually neither of those fields are wasteful if you actually learn something. More so a liberal arts degree specializes in general all around knowledge and is a common approach to more specific areas of study. More so most things you learn in any degree aren't relevant to your employers interest aside from the field. They usually have to still send recruits to training any ways. Another example, take being a lawyer for instance. Most start off by attaining a BA in language arts or history before applying for law school. Many think those two fields of study are wasteful and useless as well. Yet even after law school the one thing it doesn't teach you is how to be an actual lawyer. Still gotta learn that on the job. Also gender studies is a big deal to any corporation that has to god forbid hire people or interact with said human beings. It is a specialized field that's heavy into communications. Which is more important than most of you think it is.

If I'm running a law firm, especially a big one, I want to hire someone who studied in the field and knows how the law works, knows about statutes, major cases, and so on; not someone who is going to sit and lecture me about the lack of female lawyers in my firm. My brother went to law school and he studied political science as well as various law-related fields. When I started my first year of university, I studied Criminal Justice and earned my BA in that program. It was a perfect degree to apply to law school. Alas, I didn't go simply because it didn't interest me enough.

Where college fails is the mandates that it somehow replaces experience and common core knowledge. Think business majors who have a degree but no experience and didn't really learn anything. Putting that person in charge by-passing an employee with a few years of experience because of a piece of paper is asinine. Yet that happens everyday and companies lose billions every year.

Because that's up to the student. If they want experience, they better seek it out themselves. The college can only do so much. At some point the student has to take responsibility for his future.
I was wondering where all the frustration was coming from but it's not your fault and it's alright to be angry. I started in Electronic Engineering before realizing how boring it was. I'm just glad that most of it was paid off by grants and all I owed was 8 grand. Then later my company and the government paid for my schooling.

That's handy. What do you do now?

However the bit about being a lawyer is that, yes, you go to law school to law about the law but it in no way trains you to be a lawyer. However does what you learn in Law School or Political science or Criminal Justice or History or Chick Studies not applicable to other fields of daily life and career? You better believe that it is.

Law and poli sci, yes they do for sure. I fail to see how paying $4K to learn about how evil men are and how much they've oppressed women in the latter example is going to help someone, other than turn them into a major buzzkill and a raving cynic.

Oh and all I mean to say is that it's OK to blame the f**king college; if I'm not mistaken you paid good money to go to college and put in the time and effort right? I also bet that they worked you over with nice marketing and whatever else to keep you there. At least graduate, right? I experienced the same shit too but I'm glad I didn't get the shit bill like so many other people do.

Dude, I'm not suggesting the college shouldn't do anything at all. I'm saying they can only do so much. The individual has to be responsible to some extent.

broughtpain

broughtpain

My old attorney told me a very good piece of wisdom: lawyers have had their grey matter scooped out and replaced with lawyer matter.

If anyone wonders why I type a sentence in the form of a paragraph, now they know a part of the why. I'm A LOT better than I was. Recovery tends to be a slow process...

Law school is a perfect example of how someone can learn an awful lot and have it be no more useful than Eggo waffles for breakfast. People study for years only to learn the hard way about judge shopping, judicial activism and how progressivism is the supreme law of the land for people in high places.

What you learn and what you know will always take a back seat to what you believe when it comes to dealing with those who have been relentless in their pursuit of power to unilaterally force what they believe is for the greater good.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Resident Manager. :P

Which actually frees up time to do other things. Worked for colleges, show stores and airlines. Did contractor work too. I'm supposed to be finishing my grad studies in Marine Organic Chemistry but haha it's been a decade since I dropped out so I could take care of my grandmother after she broke her hip and the Alzheimer progression. Did that for 8 years. So basically I'm at a total loss of what is the point of living anymore. :P

Still my bread and butter is that I was trained on radiation therapy machines while in engineer school and have a knack at fixing stuff.

Oh and the value one puts on anything is up to personal opinion. So, yea, that's all I had left to say about a degrees validity. :P

broughtpain

broughtpain

Well if we agree that some degrees can be entirely worthless, then we can agree that the .2 degrees caused by global warming doesn't matter either.....

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: broughtpain on Feb 23, 2016, 12:18:02 AM
Well if we agree that some degrees can be entirely worthless, then we can agree that the .2 degrees caused by global warming doesn't matter either.....

Oh you.

broughtpain

broughtpain

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 23, 2016, 01:54:11 AM
Quote from: broughtpain on Feb 23, 2016, 12:18:02 AM

Oh you.
:D ;)

whiterabbit

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The United States and China have agreed on a draft resolution that would expand U.N. Security Council sanctions against North Korea over its latest nuclear test

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-un-idUSKCN0VX2T5

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Feb 25, 2016, 05:29:28 AM
The United States and China have agreed on a draft resolution that would expand U.N. Security Council sanctions against North Korea over its latest nuclear test

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-un-idUSKCN0VX2T5

You know you're leader is nuts when China evenn goes "Woah, woah, woah. Slow down there boy"

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Even China is like "We are sick of your shit North Korea!". Good to see America and China working together on this.

broughtpain

broughtpain

The legacy of the Obamas just won't stop...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/25/us/kansas-shooting/index.html

Hubbs

Hubbs

Speaking of students, get a load of this. World famous university Harvard has been forced to abolish the use of the word 'master' in titles because students think it has too many links with slavery...LOL!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35659685

Here in the UK we use the term headmaster in all our schools, so I guess to an American student that would be racist and wrong?

Students also want the official seal (from the 18th century!) changed too because guess what...too many links to slavery.

Apparently at Princeton they are trying to rename a building that is currently named after Woodrow Wilson because he may or may not have had racist views...LOL! Hey idiotic students in America...most people from that era probably had racist views, it was pretty common place.

What the hell is going on in America? students are literately trying to erase the past, things that make the uncomfortable, things that offend their safe spaces. This is a serious problem because you simply cannot erase history to suit a modern PC trend. These universities have hundred year old histories behind them, you can't just scrub all that because some dumb kids are offended, the joke being as they get older they'll probably change their minds anyway  ::) Yet the universities are letting them do it! they are letting them erase their own universities history and heritage.

These students are unstable, virtually unemployable if you ask me. How can these people even think of managing in the real world where there are no 'safe spaces' and people will upset and offend you. What happens if something upsets them in their future workplace? are they gonna throw a hissy fit and protest?? it doesn't work like that in the real world and these students need to be given a major reality check.

'students are seeking symbolic ways to assert their identity.' So they are doing this by erasing very old and important history...on the basis of teenage angst, I find this very disturbing and sad. When will they start to burn all the history books? but I can actually see this happening.

This shit doesn't happen in the UK, students wanted a statue of Cecil Rhodes removed at Oxford, but were politely told to dream on.
http://www.oriel.ox.ac.uk/content/oriel-college-statement-decision-about-rhodes-statue

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed