In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,671 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea I think it is a total dick move to simply erase someone whose organization made a shit-f**k-ton of dough off of. Bad taste, brother. "Yea we were cool that he was a racist, we're just not cool that everyone else knows it too" Cha-ching

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 26, 2015, 09:47:22 AM
Yea I think it is a total dick move to simply erase someone whose organization made a shit-f**k-ton of dough off of. Bad taste, brother. "Yea we were cool that he was a racist, we're just not cool that everyone else knows it too" Cha-ching

There is hypocrisy evident again sure, I don't know much about WWF or whatever its called these days, but I do know many of their wrestler characters are ridiculous racial stereotypes, or used to be. Still doesn't excuse what Hogan said but the way its being reported you'd think he killed someone.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Life finds a way!

http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/weird_news/owl-with-an-attitude-wins-face-off-with-deputy/article_c93cc8bc-758c-50e0-bdb5-9902ccd7c46f.html

QuoteBOULDER, Colo. (AP) — A Boulder County sheriff's deputy got into a face-off with an owl with an attitude, and the owl won.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/china/chinese-mother-killed-escalator/index.html

That shit looks so fake but considering China's safety standards it probably is real.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 27, 2015, 10:24:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/china/chinese-mother-killed-escalator/index.html

That shit looks so fake but considering China's safety standards it probably is real.

Goddamn how awful, but great job mom for saving your son.

I feel like the people watching could've done a bit more to save her, but hey, it's China. :-\ This shit happens so often there it makes me think the only way it can continue happening is that people and/or organizations don't get sued to oblivion after something like this, which is what would happen in the US.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33678744

QuoteOnce thought to be terrifying, scaly lizards, it now seems dinosaurs were actually more like birds. But not everyone's ready to accept their new image, writes Mary Colwell.

I posted this in the dinosaurs thread but felt it was worth sharing here as well. I'm beginning to think humans are more anti-science than we'd like to admit.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 28, 2015, 12:46:24 PM

QuoteOnce thought to be terrifying, scaly lizards, it now seems dinosaurs were actually more like birds. But not everyone's ready to accept their new image, writes Mary Colwell.

I posted this in the dinosaurs thread but felt it was worth sharing here as well. I'm beginning to think humans are more anti-science than we'd like to admit.
I think we're more unwilling to accept change than anti-science. What I mean is that we all love TV and we know science gave us TV but don't dare tells us that T-Rex was a turkey.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 28, 2015, 08:52:39 PM
I think we're more unwilling to accept change than anti-science. What I mean is that we all love TV and we know science gave us TV but don't dare tells us that T-Rex was a turkey.

Lol this sounds like a case of the scientific discovery not being as cool as what was accepted before. But hey, I think people will come around. I really enjoyed that about the first Jurassic Park, the whole scene with Grant and the chubber kid in the desert and the comments about the evolutionary nature of dinosaurs. It was a neat bit of realism that brought some personality to the characters and interesting science to the movie.

If you think about it, it seems that giant birds would be more terrifying than lizards. Reptiles can be slow, awkward, and very dumb. Birds, on the other hand, are usually very fast, agile, and extremely smart, a hell of a lot smarter than we've seen reptiles be.

Other than looking goofy, I think giant predatory birds are far more awesome in other areas.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

All that proves is that people have short term memories. However Nixon's team has got to love this. He's under double digits. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 28, 2015, 08:52:39 PM

That's my point. We're only pro-science only as long as it doesn't mess with our own beliefs. We believe in medical science, yet there's a seemingly large group of people out there who will swear on their parents' grave that vaccinations are a bad thing.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Simple people do not like it when things get turned upside down. It affects them figuratively at a molecular level. In many cases it's not that they have an opinion of vaccines, it's just that the first person who brought it up told them that vaccines are dangerous. So that is what they believe. They're many people who think like this and will never change their minds until conditions are right, if ever.

Kids are famous for this, remember pluto. Their teachers told them that pluto is a planet and that is what they'll automatically believe. So when pluto was demoted, kids felt betrayed for what their teachers told them was a wrong. Almost as if they lied to them. Who can blame them, you get punished for being wrong in school.

Same thing goes for everything. People like things when it benefits them and hate things when it takes something from them. Even if that something only exits inside of their minds.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Hubbs on Jul 29, 2015, 08:19:54 AM
Yikes!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/07/02/obama-george-w-bush-quinnipiac-poll-reagan-clinton/11985837/

That's a Quinnipac Poll, infamous for being incredibly inaccurate and quite Republican leaning. Obama concidered being worse than Bush Jr. is just bizarre and speaks for itself... Case in point, according to another Quinnipac poll FOX News is concidered to be the most trustworthy news network.

I don't trust polls no matter who's conducting them (left, center or right). It's so easy to skew them in so many different ways.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Wow!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed