Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,459 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gazz on Nov 14, 2014, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 12:05:17 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 14, 2014, 11:58:52 AM
I think it's more the whole association thing with #GamerGate. Seems to be 2 sides to it - that gamers are all sexist pigs, merely attacking females involved in the industry or the other side is that gaming journalism is corrupt. I've read that many interpretations of the thing that it's just become another one of those stupid messes that I care little about.
But because we're dealing professional victims like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, it's easy for them to cry about "harassment" and gain sympathy.

In a post defending gamergaters against accusations of sexism/ misogyny, it took you no time at all to turn to victim blaming before dismissing the threats of sexual violence, death threats and even bomb threats those women have received. Amazing.

Because a great number of that is just people acting like trolls. Good God, people act as if this is something new. Talk to any celebrity in Hollywood and ask them about the hatred they receive on a daily basis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRBoPveyETc#ws

Difference is, they don't start crying about it. More importantly, if someone is legitimately threatening to harm you, it's not a very good idea to start publicizing it on Twitter of all places. I have yet to hear of any FBI or some such investigation that actually found anyone guilty of these supposed offences.

And before someone brings up Anita's canceled speech at Utah state, I'd like to point out that an investigation revealed there was never any threat to begin with.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 02:32:50 PM
I think it's more the whole association thing with #GamerGate. Seems to be 2 sides to it - that gamers are all sexist pigs, merely attacking females involved in the industry or the other side is that gaming journalism is corrupt. I've read that many interpretations of the thing that it's just become another one of those stupid messes that I care little about.
But because we're dealing professional victims like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn, it's easy for them to cry about "harassment" and gain sympathy.

In a post defending gamergaters against accusations of sexism/ misogyny, it took you no time at all to turn to victim blaming before dismissing the threats of sexual violence, death threats and even bomb threats those women have received. Amazing.

Because a great number of that is just people acting like trolls. Good God, people act as if this is something new

That changes what exactly?

They're being personally threatened with rape and death, but it's not harassment because it's only trolling lol.

QuoteDifference is, they don't start crying about it. More importantly, if someone is legitimately threatening to harm you, it's not a very good idea to start publicizing it on Twitter of all places. I have yet to hear of any FBI or some such investigation that actually found anyone guilty of these supposed offences.

Holy Shit. You're equating Jimmy Kimmel's celebrity mean tweets to the constant barrage of focused sexual and violent threats the aforementioned women have received for speaking about videogames?

I'm astounded.

QuoteAnd before someone brings up Anita's canceled speech at Utah state, I'd like to point out that an investigation revealed there was never any threat to begin with.

Except that very article acknowledges there was a threat made:"After a careful assessment of the threat, law enforcement officials determined that it was similar to other threats that Sarkeesian received in the past."

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gazz on Nov 14, 2014, 02:57:17 PM

Because a great number of that is just people acting like trolls. Good God, people act as if this is something new

They're being personally threatened with rape and death, but it's not harassment because it's only trolling lol.

Being threatened, really? All you're being exposed to are a handful of tweets that are coming from anonymous online accounts. Please show me when these people demonstrated a knowledge of where Anita lives (the exact address of her home) and how and when they were going to harm her. That's a real threat.

QuoteDifference is, they don't start crying about it. More importantly, if someone is legitimately threatening to harm you, it's not a very good idea to start publicizing it on Twitter of all places. I have yet to hear of any FBI or some such investigation that actually found anyone guilty of these supposed offences.

Holy Shit. You're equating Jimmy Kimmel's celebrity mean tweets to the constant barrage of focused sexual and violent threats the aforementioned woman have received for speaking about videogames?

Yes, I am because the point is that anyone in the public light receives vitriol and hatred. Are you really so naive to believe this only happens to women?

They aren't being criticized for speaking about video games. They're being criticized for spreading lies and conning people. Anita has yet to show any kind of empirical evidence to support her claim that video games cause misogyny in games.

It's funny. When Jack Thompson claimed video games cause violence and he received threats like Anita does, people said he was full of shit and laughed him off. But when it happens to a woman, we're supposed to stop what we're doing and report every single troll on the internet because this poor helpless damsel (a trope she specifically said she was misogynistic yet she personifies) feels "scared". Feelings are more important that reality, it seems.

QuoteAnd before someone brings up Anita's canceled speech at Utah state, I'd like to point out that an investigation revealed there was never any threat to begin with.

Except that very article acknowledges there was a threat made:"After a careful assessment of the threat, law enforcement officials determined that it was similar to other threats that Sarkeesian received in the past."

Ergo, no threat existed that would put her or anyone else in danger. Whatever really happened, she made it seem much more serious than it really was and in the process, brought herself back to the spotlight as the Professional Victim of the Day. She's the ultimate in attention whoring.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 11:10:43 AM
I also hate it when people make connections that don't exist. I really don't know what the men's movement has to do with the link I provided.

People connected them because the second sentence in the link you provided begins:

QuoteThe radical feminists, and their allies in the corrupt media...

This was said without irony. That's a pretty common theme in MRM stuff. Hence, connection.

Also, that link you posted spends most of its time on characters attacks. Real, hard-hitting, informative journalism right there, Doom.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Nov 14, 2014, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 11:10:43 AM
I also hate it when people make connections that don't exist. I really don't know what the men's movement has to do with the link I provided.

People connected them because the second sentence in the link you provided begins:

QuoteThe radical feminists, and their allies in the corrupt media...

This was said without irony. That's a pretty common theme in MRM stuff. Hence, connection.

So...because MRAs openly criticize radical feminism, this makes them...connected? wut

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

More the GLOBAL FEMINIST CONSPIRACY than actual criticism. Claiming feminists control the media is laughable.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

What the hell do you call this, then? How is censorship not control?

http://www.womenactionmedia.org/2014/11/06/harassment-of-women-on-twitter-were-on-it/
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/11/10/the-sjws-now-get-to-police-speech-on-twitter/

It may not be a "global feminist conspiracy", but this is a form of control, like it or not.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 03:14:57 PM

Being threatened, really? All you're being exposed to are a handful of tweets that are coming from anonymous online accounts. Please show me when these demonstrated a knowledge of where Anita lives (the exact address of her home) and how they were going to harm her. That's a real threat.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/27/critic-anita-sarkeesian-receives-online-death-threats-after-latest-feminist-frequency-video-on-games/

Not that knowledge of her address even matters for much in regards to what can be considered harassment or threatening behaviour. Whether or not harassment includes personal details does not make it any less harassment, regardless of what kind of authority you consider yourself on the matter.

QuoteYes, I am because the point is that anyone in the public light receives vitriol and hatred. Are you really so naive to believe this only happens to women?

What on earth gave you that idea? No, I was simply underlining the absurdity of your comparison of celebrities jokingly reading out tweets detailing how 'dum' they are to threats of rape and murder for individuals speaking about gender in videogames. Yes celebrities do receive threats and in some cases those have resulted in physical actions, but i'm at a loss as to how this changes anything in regards to the harassment she has received?

QuoteThey aren't being criticized for speaking about video games. They're being criticized for spreading lies and conning people. Anita has yet to show any kind of empirical evidence to support her claim that video games cause misogyny in games.

You're taking a position of defending and dismissing those harassing her with rape and death threats because you disagree with her position on these videogames or find her arguments or criticisms lacking. Class act.

QuoteIt's funny. When Jack Thompson claimed video games cause violence and he received threats like Anita does, people said he was full of shit and laughed him off. But when it happens to a woman, we're supposed to stop what we're doing and report every single troll on the internet because this poor helpless damsel (a trope she specifically said she was misogynistic yet she personifies) feels "scared".

Are you really this f**king dense?

Ergo, no threat existed that would put her or anyone else in danger. Whatever really happened, she made it seem much more serious than it really was and in the process, brought herself back to the spotlight as the Professional Victim of the Day. She's the ultimate in attention whoring.

But a threat was made. It has been acknowledged as having existed in the very article you linked to. You can find further details of what the threat entailed with a simple google search. That it was ruled out by the authorities as being of no risk to Anita or the people attending is either here nor there. It landed with it's desired target and shook her enough to cancel the lecture. But why blame the harassers when you can blame the victim!?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gazz on Nov 14, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
QuoteIt's funny. When Jack Thompson claimed video games cause violence and he received threats like Anita does, people said he was full of shit and laughed him off. But when it happens to a woman, we're supposed to stop what we're doing and report every single troll on the internet because this poor helpless damsel (a trope she specifically said she was misogynistic yet she personifies) feels "scared".

Let's avoid personal attacks please.

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 14, 2014, 04:00:53 PM

Let's avoid personal attacks please.

Fair enough.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: DoomRulz on Nov 14, 2014, 03:14:57 PM

Being threatened, really? All you're being exposed to are a handful of tweets that are coming from anonymous online accounts. Please show me when these demonstrated a knowledge of where Anita lives (the exact address of her home) and how they were going to harm her. That's a real threat.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/27/critic-anita-sarkeesian-receives-online-death-threats-after-latest-feminist-frequency-video-on-games/

Not that knowledge of her address even matters for much in regards to what can be considered harassment or threatening behaviour. Whether or not harassment includes personal details does not make it any less harassment, regardless of what kind of authority you consider yourself on the matter.

I call bullshit on that. I don't believe for one second that this "Kevin Dobson" was really tweeting harmful things to her and she just "happened" to screen capture them all within minutes and seconds of them going up. Especially when you look closely and realize it says, "Sign in".

QuoteYes, I am because the point is that anyone in the public light receives vitriol and hatred. Are you really so naive to believe this only happens to women?

What on earth gave you that idea? No, I was simply underlining the absurdity of your comparison of celebrities jokingly reading out tweets detailing how 'dum' they are to threats of rape and murder for individuals speaking about gender in videogames. Yes celebrities do receive threats and in some cases those have resulted in physical actions, but i'm at a loss as to how this changes anything in regards to the harassment she has received?

Because what she's calling harassment is just people being stupid. This is the internet. There will always be stupid people around who say random shit that isn't supposed to make sense. Her job as a social media critic is to siphon away the rubbish and respond to legitimate criticism of her work. However, she's decided that everything sent her way is "harassment" and would sooner censor the hell out of everyone and ask for more donations for her website, Feminist Frequency.

QuoteThey aren't being criticized for speaking about video games. They're being criticized for spreading lies and conning people. Anita has yet to show any kind of empirical evidence to support her claim that video games cause misogyny in games.

You're taking a position of defending and dismissing those harassing her with rape and death threats because you disagree with her position on these videogames or find her arguments or criticisms lacking. Class act.

Ye gods. If you really believe that, then I can't help you. I'm dismissing the claims because she's a professional liar and a professional con artist. It's hard for me to take anything she says seriously because half the time I can't tell if its someone else saying it or her creating a phony account. If she really wanted to prove her point, she'd take time to actually respond to her real critics, people like thunderf00t or The Amazing Atheist.

Prove me wrong then. Find me widespread media support for Jack Thompson, when he made claims that video games cause violence, against the resulting threats he received.

But a threat was made. It has been acknowledged as having existed in the very article you linked to. You can find further details of what the threat entailed with a simple google search. That it was ruled out by the authorities as being of no risk to Anita or the people attending is either here nor there. It landed with it's desired target and shook her enough to cancel the lecture. But why blame the harassers when you can blame the victim!?

Again, I'm going back to her being a professional victim. We're never going to agree on this. I believe she concocted the threat against herself just to garner attention for herself whereas you believe otherwise.

Gazz

Gazz

Yup, I'm out.

I can't intelligently argue with someone willing to bend over backwards and even create conspiracy theories to dismiss and defend individuals who make threats of sexual violence and death.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And I can't argue with someone who refuses to look beyond what mass media is feeding him, so I guess we're even.

Gazz

Gazz

Sure. If that were anywhere near the truth, absolutely!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So now what? Fancy a drink?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed