In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,674 times)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2014, 06:48:09 PM
Terrorist and Insurgents are unlawful combatants and aren't protected by the Geneva convention like uniformed fighters are and civilians.

You're right - they are entitled to their day in the US court system, according to the US Supreme Court:

QuoteOn 5 December 2007, the U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments on the case of Boumediene v. Bush. Plaintiffs in the case argue that Guantánamo detainees deserve the right to habeas corpus and that the U.S. court system, not the military CSRT system, should have jurisdiction in such cases. On 12 June 2008, the Supreme Court ruled in Boumediene v. Bush (2008) that detainees do have the right to challenge their detention in civilian courts, overturning the Military Commissions Act of 2006, which abridged such rights.[175] It said the act was unconstitutional for trying to restrict use of habeas corpus.

Starting 16 November 2009, as enabled by the Supreme Court ruling in Boumediene, dozens of detainees began to use habeas corpus petitions in U.S. courts to seek freedom from the Guantánamo Bay prison. In some cases, they testified by video from the U.S. naval base in Cuba. Fifteen Federal judges have found the government's evidence against 30 detainees wanting and ordered their release. That number was expected to rise as the judges were scheduled to hear challenges from dozens more prisoners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp#Other_court_rulings
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/world/article_cfcde080-ee2d-553b-8ee8-813072924ac5.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7451139.stm

The Supreme Court rulings basically wipe out the (former) governments legal arguments for upholding the Gauntanamo Bay prison camp and directly states that Bush's Military Commissions Act of 2006 (which provides the legal justification for keeping prisoners there) is unconstitutional.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

They were always entitled to their day in the US court system.  They ARE actually protected under the Geneva convention, just not the same way that uniformed fighters and civilians are.  And the US uses a loophole in the Geneva convention to hold them indefinitely by gumming up the political process needed to further their detainment along.  Kind of like how the defendents of known murderers do it to the system over here.  Only in reverse. 

It still doesn't matter though because Obama realized he couldn't release known terrorist back into the fight overseas now that he was in charge of the overseas conflict.  He got burned for it negotiating the release of Bergdahl, he'd get destroyed politically if he released them all.   

He also knew that harboring them IN the US wasn't an option either.  They'd be killed by the other prisoner population. 

This is a liberal president holding them there, not a conservative one.  You have to ask yourselves the reason why. 

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2014, 08:26:18 PM
They were always entitled to their day in the US court system.  They ARE actually protected under the Geneva convention, just not the same way that uniformed fighters and civilians are.

Incorrect.

The Military Commissions Act of 2006, which Bush and the Congress have attempted to pass on the Guantanamo Bay prisoners, specifically state that they shall be trialed by a specially elected military commission for violations of the law of war - but they would not be granted protection under The Geneva Conventions.

QuoteThis is a liberal president holding them there, not a conservative one.  You have to ask yourselves the reason why.

No, the US Congress are the ones passing legislation, hindering, ignoring or delaying the effects of the ruling made by the US Supreme Court. You basically live in a country where the politicians are inventing legal loopholes on the fly, in order to avoid following the law they themselves have sworn to protect and uphold.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The Geneva convention following unlawful combatants STARTS with a military tribunal.  That's in the Geneva convention itself.  The Geneva convention also says that while they are held as POW after their tribunal they are not subject to the other three parts of the Geneva convention used to protect uniformed combatants and civilians unless the ruling government body decides that they will do so.

The MCA sounds like just a rephrasing of what is already in the GC concerning unlawful combatants.

The loophole they were using before was gathering the evidence against a detainee and then holding him without his tribunal to start the process of eventually being represented in the US court systems. 

Also Congress was majority democrat at the time of these laws being repealed (majority leaders for both Senate and House from 2007-2011) and still nothing happened with Guantanamo. 

Those evil democratic congressmen what are they up to?

Eva

Eva

You know what... I just checked some pages back in this thread, noticing someone posting a link to something about Burger King in Denmark and perhaps expecting me to have some comment on that - I don't know. With this and this and this and that etc, I think I'm done. Enough.

I have better things to do with my time. Sry. :)

Rong

Rong

bhahaha

MFW i said that a bout 10 pages back you cant win these f**kers

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its fine.  I actually don't agree with them holding them there indefinitely.  But it isn't some big conservative conspiracy to keep them there.  If the democrats wanted to let them go while they were in power they could have. They had four years where they were in complete control of the country after the law was repealed, and even today Democrats still run the senate. 

I imagine they have their reasons.

Quote from: Rong on Oct 28, 2014, 09:21:16 PM
bhahaha

MFW i said that a bout 10 pages back you cant win these f**kers

MFW

Spoiler
[close]

tavianini19

tavianini19

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2014, 09:21:31 PM

MFW

Spoiler
[close]
They may be evil, but god dammit if they ain't just the cutest little things when they're babies.

Rong

Rong

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Eva on Oct 28, 2014, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: Hubbs on Oct 28, 2014, 05:41:06 AM
Quote from: Eva on Oct 27, 2014, 04:35:54 PM
If this progressive idea of offering the returned fighters help when they come back actually works, then what's the problem exactly?

Nope sorry, tantamount to treason in my eyes. They are fighting for IS who are against the west and killing everyone and anyone in the Middle East who doesn't conform to their ideals. But yeah sure lets support them, give them housing and benefits and jobs and maybe a plush new car too, hell lets throw in a healthy bank account and allow them to invite all their killer buddies over to stay with permanent visas. Gotta look after the returning murderous terrorist fighters huh  ::) (EU values on display here).

Actually, this particular man was fighting in an independent Islamist brigade (not for ISIL itself or Al-Quada) in Syria and he specifically states that he is opposed to Assad's regime - not the West or the Kurdish for that matter. How exactly does those actions constitute treason? Treason against whom? I'm not aware of him being an official, registered combat soldier in any army with the rights and responsibility given. He has no record of having a criminal past in Denmark before he left, neither did he pick one up after coming home. Again, what's the problem exactly with this guy?

QuoteUnder Aarhus's program, he was offered - and accepted - taxpayers' help for the math classes he needs to enter engineering school.

LOL! brilliant!

Basically just means that he can enroll into an educational course, before being accepted into an engineering school. All Danes can. Education is free here, tax payer funded. From school to college to universities. This doesn't make him special.

Some of his views that are aligned with ISIL, well we can try make him think otherwise. But I'm not familiar with having different ideological or religious views than yourself, is in itself a crime. Not here, anyway.

Eva...your not reading what I put or the article it seems...

He worked in a refugee camp for a few weeks before getting attached to an independent battalion associated with the Islamist militia Ahrar al-Sham, a group with alleged ties to al-Qaeda. During the months when he manned heavy artillery batteries near Aleppo, he said, his outfit also maintained harmonious ties with the Islamic State.

He was attached to both terrorist groups and if you read the article he supports IS and says they are 'not all that bad'. It is indeed treason against Denmark as this man was born and bred in Denmark I believe. But hey its your country.

Your country is supporting terrorist fighters, that is the problem, you are allowing them safe haven and also encouraging other young Muslims to go off and fight knowing they will be welcomed back.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1753944-155/hunt-report-sykes-police-shooting-attorney

Oh now this is total bullshit. Stupid ass racist cops.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/news/1753944-155/hunt-report-sykes-police-shooting-attorney

LOL! is this the dude with a flippin' sword in his hand! yeah that's racist lol! perfectly normal to be walking the street with a sword in your hands hahaha oh you Americans  ::)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2014, 08:26:18 PM
They were always entitled to their day in the US court system.  They ARE actually protected under the Geneva convention, just not the same way that uniformed fighters and civilians are.

That's complete bullshit. Everyone is entitled to fair protection under laws designed to protect them. It is not up to any sovereign entity to pick and choose how to implement them.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Hubbs on Oct 29, 2014, 09:30:58 AM
Eva...

Your country is supporting terrorist fighters, that is the problem, you are allowing them safe haven and also encouraging other young Muslims to go off and fight knowing they will be welcomed back.

I don't know how a newspaper article, stating that this single individual sneaked his way into the Syrian Civil War under the false pretense of going on vacation in Turkey and how a new public initiative in Aarhus, specifically aimed at discouraging other people from doing the same, helping reduce that number from 30 to 1 (a ~97% drop) - somehow translates inside your mind into that I apparently live 'in a country supporting terrorist fighters' as well as 'encouraging other Muslims to go' as well.

And you know what - in accordance with my response above, I don't care.

Have a nice day. :)

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Hubbs on Oct 29, 2014, 09:43:02 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 29, 2014, 09:34:10 AM

LOL! is this the dude with a flippin' sword in his hand! yeah that's racist lol! perfectly normal to be walking the street with a sword in your hands hahaha oh you Americans  ::)

Its one thing if he was running at the cops with a sword. They shot him in the f**king back.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed