In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,432 times)

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Frick. This is big news.

idk maybe some older members remember how I used to flip out over Pink Floyd discussions so yeah. Kinda hyped?

But really. Roger Waters is somewhat of a muse to me so... I'm cautious. Intrigued most definitely.

SM

SM

I don't know what's to be cautious about.  We know what Rog is like from ATD (and the solo album he's been working on for lord knows how many years now).  We know what Dave is like from the two Rog-less Floyd albums and the altogether too laid back On An Island.  I think this will sit somewhere between Division Bell and On An Island.  If you didn't care for either of those albums then it's likely this won't be for you.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

SM, you seem to be the resident PF fan around here so let me ask you something. I'm a huge fan of their classic material (WYWH in particular). Is their newer stuff at all like that?

Aspie

Cal427eb

Aspie

Aspie

Because it's deeply important to you on a spiritual and emotional level?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Deadmeat

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 12:57:52 PM
SM, you seem to be the resident PF fan around here so let me ask you something. I'm a huge fan of their classic material (WYWH in particular). Is their newer stuff at all like that?

Division Bell is closer to WYWH simply because Richard Wright was contributing again.  WYWH was the last album he had any creative input on prior, for whatever reason - be it drugs, disinterest, or Roger being a megalomaniac (likely all three).  I've listened to AMLOR (upon which Dave, Bob Ezrin and Jon Carin played most of the keyboards, and Rick played very little) and Division Bell (and The Final Cut, which is at the other end of the spectrum) more times than I can count, but I can't remember the last time I listened to them start to finish, like I would regularly do with Dark Side Of The Moon, WYWH or Animals.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Hm, that's disconcerting. Does the music still have that sort of, "night time" feel, to it?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

I really really love Rick Wright's contributions to the band. The man had a great ear for melody and mood. RIP.

Didnt really care for A momentary lapse of etc... other than the HUMONGOUS final track "Sorrow" and a few bits.

Division Bell really worked for me as a whole. There's a few tunes that i can live without... take it back, coming back to life... but there's lots to love in there. Overall it's a much more "accessible" album wich makes dem hipsters frown in adorable fashion. :D

Prior to the announcement of the new album i felt that High Hopes was probably the best tune that a band could possibly end their last album (and career) with. It's still a f**king glorious piece of music.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 07, 2014, 11:21:30 PM
Division Bell really worked for me as a whole. There's a few tunes that i can live without... take it back, coming back to life... but there's lots to love in there. Overall it's a much more "accessible" album wich makes dem hipsters frown in adorable fashion. :D
lol

GLOBAL HIPSTER CONSPIRACY ;D

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Ever listened to Broken China?

SM

SM

QuoteHm, that's disconcerting. Does the music still have that sort of, "night time" feel, to it?

Depends what you mean by "night time" feel.

QuoteDidnt really care for A momentary lapse of etc... other than the HUMONGOUS final track "Sorrow" and a few bits.

I find Sorrow to be the weakest track (despite it having some of Dave's best lyrics).  Yet Another Movie was a much tighter song and very under-rated.

QuotePrior to the announcement of the new album i felt that High Hopes was probably the best tune that a band could possibly end their last album (and career) with. It's still a f**king glorious piece of music.

And by ending it with Steve O'Rourke talking, it bookended things nicely with Pink Floyd management speaking the first words on Piper... and last words on Division Bell.

QuoteEver listened to Broken China?

Not for ages.  Had a couple of decent tracks from memory, but I never really had a good listen to it.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 07, 2014, 11:25:41 PM
GLOBAL HIPSTER CONSPIRACY ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Division_Bell#Charts_and_certifications
GLOBAL ACCESSIBLE LISTENING PARTY.  :laugh:

Best review ever of The Wall via All music. http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-wall-mw0000195292

QuoteRoger Waters constructed The Wall, a narcissistic, double-album rock opera about an emotionally crippled rock star who spits on an audience member daring to cheer during an acoustic song. Given its origins, it's little wonder that The Wall paints such an unsympathetic portrait of the rock star, cleverly named "Pink," who blames everyone -- particularly women -- for his neuroses. Such lyrical and thematic shortcomings may have been forgivable if the album had a killer batch of songs, but Waters took his operatic inclinations to heart, constructing the album as a series of fragments that are held together by larger numbers like "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You." Generally, the fully developed songs are among the finest of Pink Floyd's later work, but The Wall is primarily a triumph of production: its seamless surface, blending melodic fragments and sound effects, makes the musical shortcomings and questionable lyrics easy to ignore. But if The Wall is examined in depth, it falls apart, since it doesn't offer enough great songs to support its ambition, and its self-serving message and shiny production seem like relics of the late-'70s Me Generation

Roger Waters masta race.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed