Quote from: Aspie on May 25, 2014, 04:43:49 PM
Anyone is a potential murderer.
Even you? >_>

pssst.

behind u

Quote from: Crazy Rich on May 25, 2014, 04:47:22 PM
Me when I was a baby in 1991?

>_>

It is very likely that you absorbed a potential sibling battling for life in utero.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Aspie on May 25, 2014, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on May 25, 2014, 04:47:22 PM
Me when I was a baby in 1991?

>_>

It is very likely that you absorbed a potential sibling battling for life in utero.

Sweet.

Eva

Eva

I'm saying mental illness is responsible for Eliott Rodgers way of thinking and perception, which led to his actions. The spectrum of mental illness severity varies, as does it effects (not even accounting for comorbidity.) He was on the high end, and these were the consequences.

Mental illness (if that's even the case with this guy) in itself does not automatically render the person suffering from it, incapable of understanding his/her own actions, the distinction between right/wrong and the consequences of these actions.

Considering that this guy was perfectly capable of arguing his case and views (on women in particular) and share his general negative views of those of us born without a penis, I'd say he was perfectly aware of what he was doing.

Just another sad case of US school shootings/stabbings. In a couple of months, we'll read about a new one and then a new one etc... :-[

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

All of this moral judgement about the guys actions and awareness/lack of gets complicated when you factor in the problem that there's a really good chance that free will is just an illusion.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sapient-nature/201205/free-will-is-illusion-so-what

just fyi.

Spoiler
Have a nice sunday, everybody!  :laugh:
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 25, 2014, 05:21:16 PM
All of this moral judgement about the guys actions and awareness/lack of gets complicated when you factor in the problem that there's a really good chance that free will is just an illusion.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sapient-nature/201205/free-will-is-illusion-so-what

just fyi.

Spoiler
[close]
Oh lord, not this pseudo-psychological philosophy crap :P You only have to finish the first paragraph til you hit the first typo.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

typo's or not it's becoming the consensus nowadays among neuroscientists.

deal with it.  ;D

Or hide under the warm comforting blanket of denial... :laugh:

BANE

BANE

just fyi.

Spoiler
[close]
Poorly written.

And the guys' argument is "If there's a reason you do something it's not free will".

Right.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Eva on May 25, 2014, 05:10:53 PM

I'm saying mental illness is responsible for Eliott Rodgers way of thinking and perception, which led to his actions. The spectrum of mental illness severity varies, as does it effects (not even accounting for comorbidity.) He was on the high end, and these were the consequences.

Mental illness (if that's even the case with this guy) in itself does not automatically render the person suffering from it, incapable of understanding his/her own actions, the distinction between right/wrong and the consequences of these actions.

wot but u missed this part:

The spectrum of mental illness severity varies, as does it effects (not even accounting for comorbidity.) He was on the high end, and these were the consequences.

Depending on specific type of mental illness and it's corresponding severity, not being able to fully comprehend the consequences and implications of their actions is exactly what happens. Pre-frontal Cortex (The part of the brain responsible for situational awareness and consequence evaluation) inhibition derived from a mental illness is extremely common in individuals who spend their lives cycling in and out of prisons.

just fyi.

Spoiler
[close]

ewww no Blacklabel stahp  :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 25, 2014, 05:25:26 PM
typo's or not it's becoming the consensus nowadays among neuroscientists.

deal with it.  ;D

Or hide under the warm blanket of denial.. :laugh:
Nope. There's not even a one true definition of what "free will" is. :P "There's no free will" sounds fine being espoused in a Todd Solondz black comedy by a computer nerd maybe-child-molester, but it's not real science.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Cvalda on May 25, 2014, 05:28:15 PM
"There's no free will" sounds fine being espoused in a Todd Solondz black comedy by a computer nerd maybe-child-molester, but it's not real science.

:D

Did someone step on your toes today... or use your signed ALIEN poster as bed sheets?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on May 25, 2014, 05:28:15 PM
"There's no free will" sounds fine being espoused in a Todd Solondz black comedy by a computer nerd maybe-child-molester, but it's not real science.

Not entirelly true that. Free will, it's definition and wether it's real or not is a problem for the cognitive sciences to explore.

It's the popular definitions of free will as a basic "i am in control of all my actions" that have been in a process of being demolished for a good while by neuroscience experiments like the ones explored in this article:
http://io9.com/5975778/scientific-evidence-that-you-probably-dont-have-free-will

That's why guys like Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet are becoming more and more popular amongst philosophers and scientists in the fields of cognition, because they back up their theories with a certain degree of science.

Here's a good butt-numb-athon for the few interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxup7sxIUmg#

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It ultimately doesn't make any difference.   It's like arguing that every human desire is based of selfishness.  It's only bad because it sounds bad. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed