In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,596 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I suspect if we hadn't already been in a war since 2001 that our reaction to Russia would be a little bit more advanced.  But as it stands the nation is weary of war.

Topazora

Topazora

Well, I'm just hoping that Putin and the world leaders just continue to play chicken and act petty without pushing any buttons until they can work things out.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I doubt it will get that serious.  Russia doesn't seem to want Ukraine, they seem to want Crimea for its ports. 

SM

SM

QuoteAre you familiar with Soviet-esqe voting? In which voting is at gunpoint and there is no real alternative option, it's just "Yes or Yes"? There was no option to remain with Ukraine as is, only to stay with Ukraine under outdated terms.

And yet an overwhelming majority of people not only turned out to vote, but vote in favour of seceding to Russia.  Is this type of democracy not okay (and by international standards it seemed pretty much open and above board), but the one that has mass protests to remove the democratically elected president (also judged to be above board) not okay?

One report I saw last week said Crimeans had felt largely neglected by Kiev for a long time, so the result is hardly surprising.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2014, 11:23:08 PM
QuoteAre you familiar with Soviet-esqe voting? In which voting is at gunpoint and there is no real alternative option, it's just "Yes or Yes"? There was no option to remain with Ukraine as is, only to stay with Ukraine under outdated terms.

And yet an overwhelming majority of people not only turned out to vote, but vote in favour of seceding to Russia.  Is this type of democracy not okay (and by international standards it seemed pretty much open and above board), but the one that has mass protests to remove the democratically elected president (also judged to be above board) not okay?

One report I saw last week said Crimeans had felt largely neglected by Kiev for a long time, so the result is hardly surprising.

A democratic election in a region under occupation by another countries troops, taking full control of the media, closing tv-networks not 'aligned' with the pro-Russian agenda and replacing these with pro-Russian broadcasters, running massive campaigns about all the plagues that will cripple Crimea if they don't vote for being joined to Russia?

Not to mention that the vote was not between whether Crimea would be associated with The Ukraine or Russia, but whether Crimea would be associated with Russia or be declared an independent region with all the troubles that would inflict on the population.

Let's not forget how the 'democratically elected' Janukovitj imprisoned the opposition leader and neglected to fulfill signed agreements with the EU on various issues concerning democracy, the legal system, freedom of press, economy etc. He's also suspected (with his family) to have stolen approx. $50 billion of assets belonging to the state and basically destroyed the nations economy by making it entirely dependent on whatever Putin decides from the Kremlin on all matter on The Ukraine...

These people are completely and utterly being screwed be everybody. The EU leadership has never been so weak as it is today. No wonder the project is losing public support fast, even in Germany.

SM

SM

QuoteNot to mention that the vote was not between whether Crimea would be associated with The Ukraine or Russia, but whether Crimea would be associated with Russia or be declared an independent region with all the troubles that would inflict on the population.

So this is wrong?

Choice 1: Do you support the reunification of Crimea with Russia with all the rights of the Russian federation?
Choice 2: Do you support the restoration of the Constitution of the Republic of Crimea in 1992 and the status of the Crimea as part of Ukraine?

Sounds like a pretty straightforward choice between Russia and Ukraine.

And with nearly 60% of Crimeans identifying as Russian (in an area that strongly backed Yanukovych previously) in a poll that was ajudged overall to be open and fair, what's to complain?  Of course, secession isn't that simple, but it's seems pretty obvious Crimeans aren't fond of Kiev.

Ukraine's allies should of course back it as much as possible, but bleating about 'you know those evil Russkies rig everything right?' just sounds a bit outdated and naive.

Just sounds like the west being hypocritical because the democratic process didn't work out how they wanted it to (while the arguably non-democratic protesting is just fine).

Eva

Eva

Quote from: SM on Mar 24, 2014, 12:34:47 AM
QuoteNot to mention that the vote was not between whether Crimea would be associated with The Ukraine or Russia, but whether Crimea would be associated with Russia or be declared an independent region with all the troubles that would inflict on the population.

So this is wrong?

Choice 1: Do you support the reunification of Crimea with Russia with all the rights of the Russian federation?
Choice 2: Do you support the restoration of the Constitution of the Republic of Crimea in 1992 and the status of the Crimea as part of Ukraine?

I don't think you understand, SM... they were given the choice to vote for being associated with Russia or have their current status nullified and their current Constitution replaced with the Constitution they were under in the last days of the Soviet Union 22 years ago... you know, when they were basically still ruled by a dictatorship. There is no option in the vote to simply keep their current status, which is why the pro-Ukranians boycotted the vote.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Eva on Mar 24, 2014, 12:52:02 AM

So this is wrong?

I don't think you understand, SM... they were given the choice to vote for being associated with Russia or have their current status nullified and their current Constitution replaced with the Constitution they were under in the last days of the Soviet Union 22 years ago... you know, when they were basically still ruled by a dictatorship. There is no option in the vote to simply keep their current status, which is why the pro-Ukranians boycotted the vote.

Exactly.

SM

SM

Quote from: Eva on Mar 24, 2014, 12:52:02 AM

So this is wrong?

Oh, okay.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Kinda.

However, I think you'd have more of an argument if the result was close.  It doesn't appear as if those boycotting would've made the slightest difference to the result had they voted.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

SM the ruskies are bad and need freedom.

SM

SM

Seems like they got plenty enough freedom to tell everyone to #gfy.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

yep ol vlade has got a big brass pair he's swinging around

SiL

Dovahkiin

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Maybe that's why CoD is less appealing enough for me to skip new titles.

My body is telling me something.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed