Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,683 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Not making any money sucks more.

Topazora

Topazora

It does suck.  Though while I have done some freelance in my field,  I had to take mediocre jobs to pay an over expensive art college tuition.   I even went back to community college to get an training for mechanical drafting.   Still nothing,  no more classes and they don't make drafting programs easy to get for poor people w/o pirating.   One the reasons I'm choosing to go into the Navy, for self serving reasons really.  If I can do that,  then hopefully I can out of my mom's house and get more education on someone else's dime.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2014, 06:38:11 PM
Not making any money sucks more.

Yes, of course. No argument there.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

f**k pride, it's all about money. College is f**king expensive and graduating puts most people into massive debt that a low paying job is not going to cover. There's lots of jobs out there but technology has eroded many of the middle earning jobs. College is fundamentally BS for non research fields. It's just the employer's way of burdening the cost of training onto the employees shoulders. The irony of which is that the employer still has to shell out money to train college grads. Better yet the employee still has to like showing up to that shitty job if they don't want to be financial dead beats for student loans that you can not bail out on. aka a junk credit score and automatic garnishments.

Sorry to be cynical about it but that is how I see it. College was good for me. I didn't give 2 shits back in high school. However I graduated college in the late 90's and early 2000's. Six years of schooling only cost me 14 grand out of pocket, including books. :P However now a single semester is 50 grand at a decent school. That is plain bullshit.

Graduating college today has to be f**king depressing.  :-\

Unless you're rich I guess.

Topazora

Topazora

Unfortunate, but true  :(

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

50 grand a semester? Most universities aren't even close to that. But yes it does suck.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Art schools can be insane. I think my buddy pays anywhere from 25-35k a year to go to The Art Institute of Colorado in Denver. That's absurdly high when you look at what the average graphic designer/animator whatever makes and the volatility of the industries most students enter.

Its crazy. For a bit more, you could go to the School of Mines in Golden, one of the best colleges in the country that has an excellent job placement rate. As Whiterabbit said, the technical and research jobs are the only ones that pay anywhere near something realistic for paying off mountains of school loans.

Being American means joining the debt circus, mostly. You can avoid it, but be prepared to make sacrifices.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Topazora on Mar 06, 2014, 07:38:03 PM
It does suck.  Though while I have done some freelance in my field,  I had to take mediocre jobs to pay an over expensive art college tuition.   I even went back to community college to get an training for mechanical drafting.   Still nothing,  no more classes and they don't make drafting programs easy to get for poor people w/o pirating.   One the reasons I'm choosing to go into the Navy, for self serving reasons really.  If I can do that,  then hopefully I can out of my mom's house and get more education on someone else's dime.

If you have any student debt I think the Navy will pay up to 50,000 of your student loans.  You won't get tuition assistance for another degree though if I remember right.

If you already have a bachelors you might want to go into the officer corps.  You'll put up with different kinds of bullshit but you won't ever be peon level like a private (or its equiv) would be.

I wanted to go to NYU at one point.  The tuition was something like 18,000 a semester.  It ended that dream pretty quick.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I'm so glad I have a scholarship that pays for 80% of my tuition.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

hunnid pacent thanks to Uncle Sam.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Fuk u

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Cal427eb on Mar 06, 2014, 08:02:11 PM
50 grand a semester? Most universities aren't even close to that. But yes it does suck.
Yea state college and community college is still a great deal albeit getting more expensive everyday. I was also taking into account living expenses and materials. Those on athletic scholarships, fully paid or not, can't get part-time jobs or any assistance elsewhere. So borrow away they say.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2014, 09:04:48 PM
Quote from: Topazora on Mar 06, 2014, 07:38:03 PM

If you have any student debt I think the Navy will pay up to 50,000 of your student loans.  You won't get tuition assistance for another degree though if I remember right.

If you already have a bachelors you might want to go into the officer corps.  You'll put up with different kinds of bullshit but you won't ever be peon level like a private (or its equiv) would be.

I wanted to go to NYU at one point.  The tuition was something like 18,000 a semester.  It ended that dream pretty quick.
hmmm so the government underwrites student loans that are near impossible to pay off. Thus driving up the cost of secondary education so people get into debt and have no choice but to join the military to pay it off... damn that's genius. :P

SM

SM

lolmurica

Rong

Rong

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2014, 11:33:10 PM
lolmurica

lol i complained about paying my 20k hecs bill @ like 2% bhahaha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed