In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,567 times)

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Feb 18, 2014, 02:06:57 PM
People already have their mind set on guns before entering into a discussion, so these discussions usually fall on deaf ears or result in insulting remarks and snide comments but OK.

I am a gun owner, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it.  I own a fire arm to protect myself, and my family from being a victim to any dangers that might find itself entering my home.  If that day never comes I am truly grateful.  If it ever does, I am happy to know that I can do something about it.  If you don't like it, I don't care.  Insult away.  Your not the one protecting me, or my family.

"Homo-sapiens and their guns."

Cvalda

Cvalda

I've been assaulted twice, and almost attacked and raped on a street corner once.

Do I feel paranoid enough to own a gun? No.

Also, preeeettyyy sure most burglaries occur when you are not home -- so the odds of you ever going all vigilante on some masked bandit are pretty low.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

That's your opinion and your choice.  I've been in an abusive relationship and had a gun pointed to my head.  I'm still a gun owner, it's my choice.

Being a gun owner does not make one paranoid or vigilante.  It's a personal decision.

Eva

Eva

I'm just glad I live somewhere where I'll never find myself in the dilemma of whether one should own firearms for personal protection.

I also recognize that there's a massive cultural difference with regards to gun culture in Europe and the US, a schism of sorts that probably grew out of the downfall of the Second World War. The US turned more militaristic while Europe had finally had enough and turned to the overall pacifist route.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Eva on Feb 18, 2014, 05:08:10 PM
I'm just glad I live somewhere where I'll never find myself in the dilemma of whether one should own firearms for personal protection.

I also recognize that there's a massive cultural difference with regards to gun culture in Europe and the US, a schism of sorts that probably grew out of the downfall of the Second World War. The US turned more militaristic while Europe had finally had enough and turned to the overall pacifist route.

"Too many wars, too many f**king wars."

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Be very grateful for this, I hate the fact that I even had to make this decision. 

A few years ago the coast of Florida was hit with three hurricanes in a row.  We lost power on the coast for weeks, people went crazy.  Some came from out of state to loot houses, the National Guard ended up showing up.  Our little quiet town was ravaged, sadly the house in front of mine had two people crash through their sliding glass door in the middle of the night. 

I also took on the responsibility of another person, so it's more than just my life that I am responsible for.  I would never wish harm on another human being.  It would sadden me to no end to ever have to make the choice to hurt someone in self defense, all life is precious.  So much violence, it's all very sad  :-\

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

I used to know a girl in Mississippi had something similar happen when she lived on the coast.

Vickers

Vickers

I've been mugged at knife point, had one home broken into and another attempted break-in at a different house while I was home.

I don't own a gun. Sure, with not having any children around, I would feel more at ease about owning a gun. But I still can't bring myself to getting one. I would feel uneasy.

I just think many gun owners (many... not all) are careless and access to their guns are easy for others. And in many school shooting incidents abroad, the children had access to guns at home.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 18, 2014, 03:51:16 PM
I've been assaulted twice, and almost attacked and raped on a street corner once.

Do I feel paranoid enough to own a gun? No.

Also, preeeettyyy sure most burglaries occur when you are not home -- so the odds of you ever going all vigilante on some masked bandit are pretty low.

My mom had a stalker and none of us really knew how serious it could be.  After months and months of this dude crawling on top of stuff to look into our windows and the police not doing anything about it (it snowed once and this guy had even grown so confident about not getting caught or was a dumbass and had tracks going right back to the house he was staying at and it somehow didn't warrant a police investigation) my dad had enough.

Sit under the window for an hour waiting for the guy to try and catch a peep of the room my mom was in and when he did and she saw him she screamed, my dad busted the window out and the guy shit himself running away after having a .357 pointed at his head.

My dad caught full sight of the guy called the police (it was of course the guy whose tracks led back to this other persons house he was staying with) told them if they didn't come over he was going to beat this kids ass and finally the police opened up an investigation so the people he was staying with kicked him out and he moved somewhere else.  Everytime he saw my dad he'd freak the f**k out.

I don't think most people actually get guns to shoot anything with but more as a deterrent.  After this fool had a weapon pointed at his head things de-escalated very quickly.  I was like 9 when this all went down so I'm not the macho one in this story because had I been older the guy would've shit himself in fear by my presence alone.

Personally of the ones I've owned I've only ever got them to shoot, I had no self defense plans with them.  All the ones I buy in Lexington end up back in Hopkinsville so I can shoot them at the range.  Might have some subconscious desire to remain proficient since you only get to shoot once a year in the guard unless your about to deploy.   

My sister is also a hippy and won't take any guns (she will shoot them but not own one), so I bought her a whole bunch of tasers and mace cannons instead.  It was a good idea I thought because she's smallish but she once shot the mace cannon and I was beside her and the stuff blew into my face.

Much pain.  But at least they work.

Quote from: Vickers on Feb 18, 2014, 06:02:37 PM
I've been mugged at knife point, had one home broken into and another attempted break-in at a different house while I was home.

I don't own a gun. Sure, with not having any children around, I would feel more at ease about owning a gun. But I still can't bring myself to getting one. I would feel uneasy.

I just think many gun owners (many... not all) are careless and access to their guns are easy for others. And in many school shooting incidents abroad, the children had access to guns at home.

People are careless.  Dudes were shooting high powered hunting rifles off the road one time in Hopkinsville, they were like 300 yards away and thought they were safe about hitting anything near the road.  They were wrong and popped a lady in the arm.  I'm all for tougher restrictions on giving them out to people.  Better background checks, mandatory classes, I wouldn't even mind being forced to buy one of those digital thumbprint lockers that only open for you so kids couldn't tamper with them while you were away.

Rong

Rong

grew out of the downfall of the Second World War. The US turned more militaristic while Europe had finally had enough and turned to the overall pacifist route

Bahahhahahahahaha. The worst part about this statement is you "probably" truly believe it.

The second amendment has been around pre ww2.

And it doesn't explain other countries outside of "Europe" that didn't see war who have progressive intelligent gun laws.

Personal opinion now:

I Understand American gun laws appeal to people who are "afraid" but ultimately it's just a exercise in escalation, owning a gun is now the baseline,

My mother got robbed about 6months back, she interrupted the thief as he was unplugging the tv he had already put all her belongings in a basket in the middle of the room, he had a massive wrench as a weapon, he ended up dropping that and running off (clearly it was for self defence ) , I could only imagine if one or both of my mother and the thief had a gun, someone would probably be dead right now.

My point is The gun laws that you think are protecting you are also putting guns in the wrong peoples hands, so your now way more likely to get shot and killed.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The trick is to be a better shooter than the other guy.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The trick, Mr. Kimarhi, is not minding that you're shot.

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 18, 2014, 08:42:18 PM

Lol more escalation, so if the the other guy (bad guy) is a better shooter your even more f**ked lol.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Rong on Feb 18, 2014, 08:44:07 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 18, 2014, 08:42:18 PM

Lol more escalation, so if the the other guy (bad guy) is a better shooter your even more f**ked lol.

Not if you follow SpaceMarines advice.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2561467/Firearms-officer-wins-sex-discrimination-case-against-police-chiefs-gun-big-small-hands.html

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. The fact that this was taken seriously really makes me feel sorry for U.K. residents who had to foot the bill.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed