In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,683 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Effectz on Aug 06, 2013, 12:44:17 PM
The world's first test-tube burger, costing a whopping £250,000 to produce, has been unveiled in London.

http://news.sky.com/story/1124439/test-tube-burger-served-up-for-first-time

The 5oz patty - made from lab-grown "cultured beef" - was dished up by its creator, Professor Mark Post, before journalists in Hammersmith, in the west of the capital.

I read about that this morning. I think it's most impressive and definitely a step in the right direction. My main concern lies with what is used to produce it. I'm already wary of the amount of preservatives and other garbage one finds in store-bought meat.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Effectz on Aug 06, 2013, 12:44:17 PM
The world's first test-tube burger, costing a whopping £250,000 to produce, has been unveiled in London.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Considering that beef production will have to cease in a few decades because of climate change necessity... eating a test tube burger sounds much more appetizing to me than eating a bug does. Of course some people like eating bugs. Be even better if you could make the food at home. ala jetsons/star trek. :)

I sure hope it'll be way cheaper by then though. :P

SM

SM

Rong

Rong

Vertigo

Vertigo

£250k's not bad for a high-tech prototype of any kind. Theoretically, mass-produced lab meat should work out cheaper than field-grown - a cow takes 2-3 years to mature, during which it needs to be fed and cared for, requiring lots of land, heavy equipment, labour, vets' bills, etc. I don't know much about the final stage of the beef-making process but I'd assume it's quite labour-intensive, too.

So you'd think that a production line akin to that of a pharmaceutical company would work out quite a bit cheaper in the long run.

Rong

Rong

the savings in water will be amazing, one of the next big issues in the future especially in emerging markets. but too be perfectly honest i'm still 100% comfortable eating it.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 06, 2013, 10:26:42 PM
Considering that beef production will have to cease in a few decades because of climate change necessity... eating a test tube burger sounds much more appetizing to me than eating a bug does. Of course some people like eating bugs. Be even better if you could make the food at home. ala jetsons/star trek. :)

I sure hope it'll be way cheaper by then though. :P

As long as they can get the taste factor in it. They need those fat cells.
I do hope the raw meat can be made into tartare. I'd hate to lose that!

Cal427eb

Aspie

Rong

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed