In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,564 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Detroit goes broke

Well Detroit just went bankrupt... well filed for bankruptcy protection anyways. However I can't help but think there is racism here. Even with their decades of problems and clear insolvency... well the white guys filing the bankruptcy seem all to happy about it.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/nasutoceratops-new-dinosaur-discovered-massive-2060584

A new dinosaur species with a massive nose and bull-like horns has been unearthed in an American desert.

The creature had four legs, was about 15ft long and weighed 2.5 tons.

The fossil of a Nasutoceratops – which means "big-nosed horn face" – was discovered in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah.

The area was a sub-tropical swamp when dinosaurs roamed 76million years ago.

The Nasutoceratops is related to the familiar three-horned triceratops and, like its cousin, had a large bony frill behind its head.

Scientists believe that the long, curved horns, which point forward, had the same role as deer antlers.

Utah research team member Dr Mark Loewen said: "The amazing horns were most likely used as visual signs of dominance.

"And, when that wasn't enough, as weapons for fighting rivals."

It looks funneh. :laugh:

SM

SM

"Papa?"

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

:laugh:

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Michael Adebolajo, one of the men who murdered British Soldier Lee Rigby, has had his teeth knocked out in a prison assault.

The Universe has started making sense again

Eva

Eva

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 18, 2013, 08:47:23 PM
Detroit goes broke

Sad news for the citizens. They should have hired someone else to clean up that mess, huh?

Spoiler
[close]

Well, what do you expect happens to the heart of the US auto industry, when a lot of jobs are outsourced to Central and South America, while they continue to build cars that most of the foreign markets would label as obsolete designs?

Rong

Rong

Just needs a heart transplant from Cali.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Rong on Jul 19, 2013, 12:34:56 AM

And enough people interested in paying for this car, what would buy them a gasoline luxury Mercedes or BMW instead where I live. As if... ;)

Rong

Rong

Once the infrastructure is in place, and gas prices even more ridiculously priced in Europe.

Tesla make a world car, BMW and Mercedes are shitting their collective pants about this car, they already have a pretty long waiting list to purchase one, they get released pretty soon in aus, I'm seriously considering one.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Rong on Jul 19, 2013, 12:55:47 AM
Once the infrastructure is in place, and gas prices even more ridiculously priced in Europe.

Tesla make a world car, BMW and Mercedes are shitting their collective pants about this car, they already have a pretty long waiting list to purchase one, they get released pretty soon in aus, I'm seriously considering one.

No, because here in Europe (and Asia as well, I presume), there's a vast selection of mini cars and medium cars that do some 25 kilometers per litre of gasoline or more on average. With such efficient gasoline engines available now very cheaply, the idea of extremely pricy battery powered cars is stone dead. Not to mention the almost non-existing infrastructure needed to support these cars anyway.

Most major European and Asian car makers have actually teamed up recently to develop what they believe is the 'next' car - hydrogen fuel cell powered cars. The infrastructure needed is already there - you just set up an additional hydrogen pump at the already existing gas station and your car can be used exactly as the gasoline version. They project that they won't be more expensive than the gasoline/diesel engine versions, when the first models are ready for mass production in some years.

Oh well, I got strayed of course a bit here. Back to the topics of the thread...

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Eva on Jul 19, 2013, 01:08:33 AM
Quote from: Rong on Jul 19, 2013, 12:55:47 AM

No, because here in Europe (and Asia as well, I presume), there's a vast selection of mini cars and medium cars that do some 25 kilometers per litre of gasoline or more on average. With such efficient gasoline engines available now very cheaply, the idea of extremely pricy battery powered cars is stone dead. Not to mention the almost non-existing infrastructure needed to support these cars anyway.

Most major European and Asian car makers have actually teamed up recently to develop what they believe is the 'next' car - hydrogen fuel cell powered cars. The infrastructure needed is already there - you just set up an additional hydrogen pump at the already existing gas station and your car can be used exactly as the gasoline version. They project that they won't be more expensive than the gasoline/diesel engine versions, when the first models are ready for mass production in some years.

Oh well, I got strayed of course a bit here. Back to the topics of the thread...

Fuel cell (hydrogen ) tech is very expensive. There is no easy way of "adding" an additional hydrogen pump to existing infrastructure it apparently cost 2 million dollars to add them, and realistically all it's doing is converting electricity to hydrogen. 

Battery Prices will fall and become way cheaper, Musk knows this,  there is also supercapacitor tech on the horizon. And adding chargers to the existing grid is very simple.

And comparing a model s to a smart car / micro car.. I don't even.

They have a budget car on the horizon, the central argument here is American cars are obsolete, and an incorrect point.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Jul 19, 2013, 12:00:21 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/nasutoceratops-new-dinosaur-discovered-massive-2060584

A new dinosaur species with a massive nose and bull-like horns has been unearthed in an American desert.

The creature had four legs, was about 15ft long and weighed 2.5 tons.

The fossil of a Nasutoceratops – which means "big-nosed horn face" – was discovered in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah.

The area was a sub-tropical swamp when dinosaurs roamed 76million years ago.

The Nasutoceratops is related to the familiar three-horned triceratops and, like its cousin, had a large bony frill behind its head.

Scientists believe that the long, curved horns, which point forward, had the same role as deer antlers.

Utah research team member Dr Mark Loewen said: "The amazing horns were most likely used as visual signs of dominance.

"And, when that wasn't enough, as weapons for fighting rivals."

It looks funneh. :laugh:

Interesting specimen. Given their shape though, the horns don't look particularly effective as defense against predators.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Eva on Jul 19, 2013, 12:48:48 AM
Quote from: Rong on Jul 19, 2013, 12:34:56 AM

And enough people interested in paying for this car, what would buy them a gasoline luxury Mercedes or BMW instead where I live. As if... ;)

The Tesla has a range of around 300 miles, as far as most buyers require, yet is bloody fast - if I was in my 90s with an epic beard and an army of Uruk Hai, I'd say that a new era is rising. It's outsold rival models from all the big three German manufacturers in the States, where petrol prices are a fraction of what they are in many other countries (less than half what they are here in England, for example). The Model S is the real deal, and the international launch will be huge.

If superconductive chargers can be perfected and distributed, allowing electric vehicles to be charged in minutes rather than hours, then I imagine most buyers will be looking at EVs in a few years. Tesla's already developing a cheaper companion to the Model S.
Hydrogen fuel cells show a lot of promise, but as Doom and myself discussed a few pages ago (and Rong pointed out), there are big stumbling blocks. Hell of a lot easier to fit a petrol station with charging stations than to bulk-import hydrogen, and currently Honda's FCX Clarity (which is on public lease) still costs around £100k to build - a tenth of what it did in 2008, but still over four times that of a plug-in Prius.

Anyway, BMW and Toyota's deal to collaborate on a production fuel cell drivetrain is due for completion in 2020, so we'll see if the world is ready for it then. In the meantime, there's also promising research in the fields of natural gas turbines and genetically engineered fuel, and the Tesla is indicative of the steady march of progress in electric vehicles.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 19, 2013, 03:26:23 AM

Interesting specimen. Given their shape though, the horns don't look particularly effective as defense against predators.

Well there's a lot of doubt about how well any ceratopsian horns function in defence - they're usually too brittle to charge with, and some species don't even have any horns. They're probably more to do with courtship, and possibly for males to lock up and 'wrestle' with to establish dominance.
When we look at modern animals, though many herbivores have horns, very few actually use them to defend against predators - the only examples I can think of now are buffalos, rhinos and elephants (and even then, it's more their overwhelming bulk that provides them this tactic - their predators are a fraction of their size). That said, you'd think a Triceratops' arsenal of spikes would discourage a front-on attack.

Anyway, while there's a vast diversity in ceratopsian horn configuration (some of them even have weird spongy arrangements where the horns usually are), it's a curious coincidence for this species' arrangement to look so bull-like.

Hubbs

Hubbs

I don't think I have ignored your post Eagle, I've said I don't think Zimmerman profiled Martin and I don't believe the evidence (taped conversation) shows it either.

QuoteBut when someone more or less privileged, someone above all of that, stalks and kills a black teenager in a rich, mostly white neighborhood just because the said black teenager "didn't belong there", and then gets away with it (killing the black teen), it unveils the much alive racism against black people, and especially against young black men. It reminds us all (not just black people) that things are still unfair, that we haven't successfully rooted our embarrassing past, which is painful to see, and for some of us it is impossible to admit.

It didn't really happen like that though did it, if you read through the taped conversation you see quite clearly it didn't happen like that. At no point did a racist agenda crop up in my opinion.

QuoteI.e. that what Zimmerman did was a-ok and that the trial and verdict was completely fair? That there is nothing wrong about that Zimmerman wasn't arrested until 44 days after the shooting? That Zimmerman is getting his gun back? That the verdict would've been the same if Trayvon Martin had been white?

What Zimmerman did was legal in his state, this is the reason he was not arrested. The 'STAND YOUR GROUND' law is that reason, perfectly legal in wacky gun lovin America. There is no evidence to say whether he is telling the truth or not, but unfortunately you can't jail someone without hard evidence. Black people are crying out racism because they have been educated to do so every time (Apone has said that himself). The jury tried to put Zimmerman away but couldn't on the fact there is simply no evidence or witnesses to say what happened, AND anything could have happened, its very possible either way. So the result WASN'T from a racist jury.

There was a fight it seems, Martin had no injuries on him, Zimmerman did. The prosecution did not do a good job in providing evidence to prove that Zimmerman was guilty beyond reasonable doubt. No proof about him 'stalking' or following Martin, or at least doing so aggressively. Also all the evidence that did exist collaborated Zimmerman's version of events. End of the day the evidence is not enough to jail him for half his life as the facts are unknown, some is a bit dubious of course but that doesn't equal a complete guilty verdict.

I still think black folk are really skimming over what happened and just jumping the gun (no pun intended). A non black fella 'profiles' a young black kid and kills him, the end = extreme racism. Most people who are up in arms over this also tend to be extreme liberals who just like to fuel the fires, we get so much of that here in the UK. You're all just lucky you don't have to put up with the EU rubbish we have, ruled by another country (city even!) pretty much.

As far as I can see Zimmerman may end up in jail at the end simply because of all the fuss...which is wrong.

SGT.APONE:
QuoteYou don't have to educate your children to be aware of systematic racism for their protection.

Is it me or does that sounds really wrong? kinda like making the problem worse or encouraging young blacks to resent white people and cause trouble. Like I said here in the UK being black or ethnic is a BIG plus, you can't do any wrong.

I really can't see how anyone can think OJ was innocent unless they are simply being racist haha I mean really??. And that argument eliminates this one, how can you say OJ was innocent but state at the same time how wrong and racist the Zimmerman case is...pot calling the kettle black (no pun intended).

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 19, 2013, 05:12:49 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 19, 2013, 03:26:23 AM

Well there's a lot of doubt about how well any ceratopsian horns function in defence - they're usually too brittle to charge with, and some species don't even have any horns. They're probably more to do with courtship, and possibly for males to lock up and 'wrestle' with to establish dominance.
When we look at modern animals, though many herbivores have horns, very few actually use them to defend against predators - the only examples I can think of now are buffalos, rhinos and elephants (and even then, it's more their overwhelming bulk that provides them this tactic - their predators are a fraction of their size). That said, you'd think a Triceratops' arsenal of spikes would discourage a front-on attack.

Anyway, while there's a vast diversity in ceratopsian horn configuration (some of them even have weird spongy arrangements where the horns usually are), it's a curious coincidence for this species' arrangement to look so bull-like.

The horns were used for defence and courtship, yes. You're also right about them being too brittle for charging. But back to defense: I'm pretty sure that T.Rex skin impressions have been found with puncture wounds in them from Trike horns.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed