In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,620 times)

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 16, 2013, 07:10:07 AM
You're right, they're raging in the streets instead. I don't think protesting is a viable solution either. All you've done is told people you're angry. Guess what? We already know you're angry. So what are you actually going to do about it?
So yeah, protesting shows' that people are angry, but it also promotes change. A lot of the things we have today are because people protest such as integrated schools, the voting rights act, the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement to name a few.  So why shouldn't people get together and protest if they are outraged about something?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Speaking for myself, I've been to a couple in my university years and I didn't feel as though I accomplished anything. I'm the type of person that would rather speak to someone one-on-one than walk in a circle with a sign, displaying whatever the popular motto at that moment happens to be.

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Social media outrage, that's about as far as most of us will go in our protests

SM

SM

Some "popular mottos at that moment"...

ShadowPred

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Fact of the matter is, another young man died needlessly.  Unfortunately, being the circus of ridiculousness that the media is it will be dogged by race issues, regardless of the basic tragedy that a human being killed another for no apparent reason.  Zimmerman put himself in that situation by being over zealous, in turn Trayvon Martin assaulted Zimmerman, Zimmerman resorted to shooting him and was found not guilty because of gun law. (don't get me started on the U.S and guns, needless to ay it is as ridiculous as religion) Idiots will argue that Zimmerman himself is a minority, because apparently racism is the preference of white people apparently, every moron who cries out racial hatred when a tragedy befalls somebody of color will scream for his head, and the death of a young man will become a spectator to another media frenzied farce.  His family will suffer more than they deserve having suffered more than enough already.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jul 16, 2013, 07:37:24 AM
Social media outrage, that's about as far as most of us will go in our protests

There's definitely no shortage of that.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Protesting, rage and riots change nothing. They're just short term nuisances. However education does.

Both Zimmerman and Trayvon are fools.

Rong

Rong

Quote from: SM on Jul 16, 2013, 07:20:14 AM
Aww geee - lets all write a sternly worded letter, eh?

It's all forms of protest at the status quo - be it online and in the streets.  If people did it more often rather than get bored, actual change for the better might happen.

But noooo, everyone should just calm down and stay in their little boxes.

Come on SM, but thats the australian way...

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 16, 2013, 08:35:18 AM
Protesting, rage and riots change nothing. They're just short term nuisances. However education does.

Both Zimmerman and Trayvon are fools.

Protesting does change things as we've seen in the past.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 16, 2013, 04:04:46 AM
"Neighborhood watchman George Zimmerman was acquitted in the murder of unarmed seventeen year old Trayvon Martin. However, another Florida resident was sentenced to twenty years in prison for firing warning shots at her abusive husband who was about to attack her. Apparently in Florida, you get rewarded for accuracy."

-http://youtu.be/f2bjp8-0CTA?t=31s

She was tried under the "Stand your Ground Law", George Zimmerman was not.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

QuoteCome on SM, but thats the australian way...

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Jul 16, 2013, 07:48:16 AM
Fact of the matter is, another young man died needlessly.  Unfortunately, being the circus of ridiculousness that the media is it will be dogged by race issues, regardless of the basic tragedy that a human being killed another for no apparent reason.  Zimmerman put himself in that situation by being over zealous, in turn Trayvon Martin assaulted Zimmerman, Zimmerman resorted to shooting him and was found not guilty because of gun law. (don't get me started on the U.S and guns, needless to ay it is as ridiculous as religion) Idiots will argue that Zimmerman himself is a minority, because apparently racism is the preference of white people apparently, every moron who cries out racial hatred when a tragedy befalls somebody of color will scream for his head, and the death of a young man will become a spectator to another media frenzied farce.  His family will suffer more than they deserve having suffered more than enough already.

Agree with you 100%. Well said.

Painting Zimmerman as a racist is speculative and unnecessary as his reaction to Trayvon Martin being in a "wholesome", gated white neighborhood (where a relative of Martin's happened to live), probably was reiterated by 'instinctively' structural and systematic racist errors embedded in U.S. culture and society. What Zimmerman did was wrong and he SHOULD have been charged with manslaughter, because that is exactly what it was.

But less "subconscious" displays of racism were, and are, a part of this whole ordeal, and we're talking about the right-wing media and the culture of perceiving black people (especially young black men) as a problem and the death of one of them as less of a concern than the death of, for example, a white person; we're talking about Zimmerman's defense apparatus (not talking about Zimmerman himself) catering to the dark corners of America where being young, black and in the "wrong" neighborhood is considered a crime in itself. This of course will trigger a reaction from especially the black community since the long struggle from sub-human slave to a full-worthy human (equal to the white man) apparently isn't over, but not only that - other minorities and people in the margin can feel and fear the injustice and effects of this as well, which of course will engage the Left, prone to always take the side of minorities, workers and the poor. So what we got here is the perfect case for the media -  a raging feeding frenzy from the Right to the Left and everything in between.

Trayvon Martin's life (and death) was never treated as the life of a firsthand citizen in this trial. The part of the jury who made up their mind beforehand that Martin didn't belong in that neighborhood and that what Zimmerman did (shooting and killing Martin) was considered as the righteous defense of himself and that neighborhood, won.
Also, the jury selected was a joke too... One Hispanic lady and three white ones, which is pretty bad considering that Zimmerman's ethnicity is of some sort of Hispanic/Latino decent and the place the manslaughter took place at was in a mostly white neighborhood.

Another proof of this embedded, structurally racist error displayed here, i.e. how little a young black man's life is worth in the U.S. is, is the laxness of the authorities - they waited 44 days before arresting Zimmerman. 44 days. As if that wasn't enough they're now going to give Zimmerman his gun back - the same gun he shot and killed Trayvon Martin with. They're giving him the gun back so he can defend himself against pissed off people who want to hurt him (and as we all know guns solve all problems!). If that isn't telling of how structural racism is still live and well in this country then I don't know what is.

Then we have U.S., and especially Florida's gun law, which pretty much enabled this all to happen. If Zimmerman didn't have that permit to carry guns outside of the home and if Florida didn't have their "Stand your ground" law etc., Trayvon Martin would've been still alive, because I really, really doubt that an unarmed Zimmerman would have stalked and confronted Martin. Instead Zimmerman would've done the right thing, i.e. use his cellphone and call the authorities about a "suspicious looking" young man in the neighborhood. The gun empowered Zimmerman to do the wrong thing, to go vigilante.

This case deserves all the attention it can get because it candidly show us how much work there still is to be done in this country. The rift is huge still.

"Land of the brave and free" ...what a joke.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 16, 2013, 05:04:27 PM
Land of the brave and free" ...what a joke.
lol

Hubbs

Hubbs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201425501429241

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201437878298655&set=vb.1526101682&type=2&theater

Finally some sense, this man should should get a medal.

Quote from: Sgt. Apone on Jul 16, 2013, 07:29:47 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 16, 2013, 07:10:07 AM
You're right, they're raging in the streets instead. I don't think protesting is a viable solution either. All you've done is told people you're angry. Guess what? We already know you're angry. So what are you actually going to do about it?
So yeah, protesting shows' that people are angry, but it also promotes change. A lot of the things we have today are because people protest such as integrated schools, the voting rights act, the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement to name a few.  So why shouldn't people get together and protest if they are outraged about something?

Errr probably because this is just violence for the sake of it and half the people out there are just there to cause trouble and play the race card. Listen to the man in the links, a BLACK MAN who actually speaks the truth.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed