In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,345 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: TheMonolith on Jul 09, 2013, 12:41:53 PM
That would mean people destroying the very resources they were fighting over. Even if such wars ever happen, you think they would be smart enough not to poison the water they plan on drinking later.
There have been far worse extinction events and causes in the past. Humanity doesn't even come close to them.
Which is not to say there isn't cause for concern, and people are getting increasingly vocal about the issue, which is a very real problem. Humanity has been making leaps and bounds in the last 100 years. The question is will the changes come fast enough.

One can hope. Here's a great song to accompany this discussion for those of you interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwELajFteTo#ws

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: ST on Jul 09, 2013, 03:55:11 PM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jul 09, 2013, 02:13:17 PM
Quote from: ST on Jul 09, 2013, 12:59:51 PMIronically humanity might [one day] be the only way to save the planet if there's a big rock in space with earth's name on coming this way.

Thank goodness the dinosaurs never figured out how to shoot down asteroids.

We forced the Troodonids into hiding many years ago. They will rise again and eradicate the mammalian oppressors!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I used to think human beings were an awful thing when I was really little, but then, as I began to grow up, I saw how a lot of the 'social conscience' stuff being fed to be was coated in a bigger layer of bullshit and vested political interests than I realised.

Especially after studying environmental studies in college (had wanted to be a marine biologist to work with sharks).

These days, I have a much healthier attitude to humanity. We'll screw up along the way, but we're getting better and better. Trouble is often that environmental alarmism can impede progress for no good reason, which is frequently due to political interests. If anything, that's what disappoints me the most - our collective capacity for willingly blinding ourselves for ideological gain.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The environmental alarmism can't be helped, unfortunately. When was the last time you saw someone in power actually do something long-term and sustainable for the environment? Auto companies, for example, are still making gas-powered cars on a large scale and not really promoting any electric cars they may make and as far as I can tell, governments don't really offer incentives to its citizens for purchasing non-gas powered cars.

SM

SM

QuoteThese days, I have a much healthier attitude to humanity. We'll screw up along the way, but we're getting better and better.

This sums it up.  Most people eventually grow out of that immature "ooooh, huamn beings are teh ebil, destroying teh planet!!11!" phase, and find, steps are being taken and things are being done, and how you can contribute to them beyond whining.

It's not going to happen overnight though.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 09, 2013, 06:46:38 PM
I used to think human beings were an awful thing when I was really little, but then, as I began to grow up, I saw how a lot of the 'social conscience' stuff being fed to be was coated in a bigger layer of bullshit and vested political interests than I realised.

This is certainly the case in the climate change agenda. If someone in power or influence is trying to tell you that a wind turbine will help stave off global warming, it's very likely they're going to profit from its sale. Al Gore's made a fortune from investing in green technology, and he's just the most prominent example. And there's no scientific debate - doubters of man-made climate change are assumed to be in the oil industry's pockets and are therefore shunned, yet many on the other side of the fence have a financial agenda too.

With that said, we're living in an ice age. Climate change is inevitable, and I'd be surprised if our activities weren't having an effect on it. But the weather is such a vast and unfathomably complex system that we can't even predict it accurately - so how can we possibly hope to control it? If we affect local temperatures in a way that's considered positive, who's to say it won't have an extremely negative impact elsewhere? And if we can affect global temperatures - cooling the temperature could precipitate another glaciation, which will be very bad for anyone who doesn't currently wear t-shirts outdoors in winter.

The ice will melt one day though, with our help or not - it isn't the planet's normal state. It'll be the killing blow to every species and ecosystem we've put under pressure.

But getting back to your post. While there's a lot of bullshit surrounding climate change research (which is not to say that the entire avenue is without merit), when it comes to nature conservation, where there's a financial agenda it's usually against it. America's done a great job of conserving its wild places for some time, yet Mitt Romney wanted to declare open season on digging up the national parks for natural gas deposits. Just one recent, prominent, first-world example.
Nobody's profiting from declaring the western black rhino extinct, or saying that the Siberian tiger is on the brink, or that the average age of great white sharks has dropped enormously, or that the rainforests are still being wiped out.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 09, 2013, 09:48:15 PM
The environmental alarmism can't be helped, unfortunately. When was the last time you saw someone in power actually do something long-term and sustainable for the environment? Auto companies, for example, are still making gas-powered cars on a large scale and not really promoting any electric cars they may make and as far as I can tell, governments don't really offer incentives to its citizens for purchasing non-gas powered cars.

Not sure the auto industry is the best example. Strong government sanctions and incentives, particularly from the EU, have wrought major changes in the industry.

Toyota's hybrid Prius was the first example of this, selling in the millions, and now many manufacturers are trying to incorporate that massively costly and complex technology into their cars. Chevrolet's Volt is another successful example, and may have saved General Motors. Tesla's all-electric Model S has been a runaway success and outsold rival models from Audi, Mercedes and BMW in the US, and is currently poised for international launch. Honda and BMW are testing hydrogen fuel cell cars which emit only water, Aston Martin raced a hydrogen powered car at Le Mans (it finished the race). Jaguar's investing in aluminium to lighten their cars and increase efficiency, Lamborghini and BMW are pioneering in composite materials for the same purpose. The new 900bhp hypercars from McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche and Jaguar are all hybrids, touting their efficiency almost as much as their performance.
Audi's even developing a new type of fuel made by genetically engineered cyanobacteria, which is the development I'm most excited about - it may mean the end of biofuel, which will allow vast tracts of agricultural land to shift back to food production or (*changes pants*) go back to nature. And it could even spell the end of mining for oil.

So they all have an incentive to change, and are doing so. The reason it's so slow is mainly because it requires huge leaps in technology and infrastructure. The biggest jump will happen when petrol stations start offering hydrogen en masse, and if battery charging time can be cut to 20 minutes or less.
I only hope industrial vehicles will stay abreast of the technology shift, as they're the primary polluter in the transport sector.
Apparently hydrogen-powered aircraft are being trialled at the moment, and I imagine they'll be a production reality before road cars.

Quote from: SM on Jul 09, 2013, 11:38:29 PM
QuoteThese days, I have a much healthier attitude to humanity. We'll screw up along the way, but we're getting better and better.

This sums it up.  Most people eventually grow out of that immature "ooooh, huamn beings are teh ebil, destroying teh planet!!11!" phase, and find, steps are being taken and things are being done, and how you can contribute to them beyond whining.

It's not going to happen overnight though.

Immature? Please. How old is David Attenborough now? Yes, things are being done - yes, the natural world is still in big trouble. And like I said in my last post, it will take some gargantuan social and technological changes to reverse that.
If you're in a position to contribute to saving the world, then great. Chances are, you'll still "whine" if given the platform.

SM

SM

The natural world will survive just fine without us.

QuoteHow old is David Attenborough now?

Old enough not to whine.  And be a complete legend at the same time.  He does the business without mindlessly moaning about how about human beings are such a destructive scourge on the planet and blah, blah, blah... zzzzzzz

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 10, 2013, 10:35:17 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 09, 2013, 09:48:15 PM

Not sure the auto industry is the best example. Strong government sanctions and incentives, particularly from the EU, have wrought major changes in the industry.

Toyota's hybrid Prius was the first example of this, selling in the millions, and now many manufacturers are trying to incorporate that massively costly and complex technology into their cars. Chevrolet's Volt is another successful example, and may have saved General Motors. Tesla's all-electric Model S has been a runaway success and outsold rival models from Audi, Mercedes and BMW in the US, and is currently poised for international launch. Honda and BMW are testing hydrogen fuel cell cars which emit only water, Aston Martin raced a hydrogen powered car at Le Mans (it finished the race). Jaguar's investing in aluminium to lighten their cars and increase efficiency, Lamborghini and BMW are pioneering in composite materials for the same purpose. The new 900bhp hypercars from McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche and Jaguar are all hybrids, touting their efficiency almost as much as their performance.
Audi's even developing a new type of fuel made by genetically engineered cyanobacteria, which is the development I'm most excited about - it may mean the end of biofuel, which will allow vast tracts of agricultural land to shift back to food production or (*changes pants*) go back to nature. And it could even spell the end of mining for oil.

So they all have an incentive to change, and are doing so. The reason it's so slow is mainly because it requires huge leaps in technology and infrastructure. The biggest jump will happen when petrol stations start offering hydrogen en masse, and if battery charging time can be cut to 20 minutes or less.
I only hope industrial vehicles will stay abreast of the technology shift, as they're the primary polluter in the transport sector.
Apparently hydrogen-powered aircraft are being trialled at the moment, and I imagine they'll be a production reality before road cars.

You know, the funny thing about hydrogen-powered cars is that the technology has been around for decades now. The combustion engine that is currently used is so freaking old and outdated, it's not even funny. Hydrogen engines have been around since 1806 but it's not used on a wide scale because there's no way of taxing it like fuel can be taxed. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but if the government can't make bucket loads of money off it, they're not going to use it.

Aspie

Aspie

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

I was convinced for so long that Bieber was potentially the Anti-Christ...

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Bieber is just jealous because Bill Clinton is still cooler than him, even in his old age. 

Novak 1334

Novak 1334

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jul 10, 2013, 06:24:51 PM
Bieber is just jealous because Bill Clinton is still cooler than him, even in his old age.

Infinitely cooler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwHxRJCrzNY#

Rong

Rong

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed