In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,414,388 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 23, 2013, 10:24:03 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Jun 23, 2013, 12:06:10 PM
I've been making this argument to an anti-science idiot on another forum. She refused to believe that everything that is actually known is due to science. Another person was quick to tell her to get off the Internet because it involves...science.

:laugh:

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 23, 2013, 12:25:31 PM
Am I reading you correctly? Killing by itself (no rhyme or reason) is an evil thing. I hope you mean killing with no context on the nature of the killing isn't necessarily evil (as in, the jury is out for the time being).

I'm saying that there are times when it's required. In the natural world, certainly (the need for food). Also in self-defence. And I'm certainly not going to call standing up to Nazi Germany/Imperial Japan 'evil', even though it involved killing.

Even Ghandi conceded that things like peaceful non-co-operation wouldn't have worked in those instances, if memory serves correctly.

If you do it with malicious/sadistic intent, then yes, that could be said to be an evil act. If you do it in defence or to prevent the infliction of harm/continued misery and suffering, then it's not. Same reason I wouldn't term things like mercy-killing and assisted suicide (when it's something like an incurable, horrific medical condition) 'evil'. In fact, I'd even go so far as to term such actions as 'good'.

There's no right side to murder. Ever. I'm sorry but that's true. Killing may be necessary but that doesn't make it right. Heck, even in times of war, the rules of engagement dictate that someone not be killed in cold blood (of course that's never considered in reality but I'm just throwing it out there).

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: maledoro on Jun 24, 2013, 01:41:49 AM
Not if the killer doesn't know right from wrong.

Those people would be insane and/or extreme sociopaths. The end result, extremely negative, without question. But if it's being done without any kind of predatory intent... That's why laws generally make an exception for those types of people and put them in psychological institutions instead of subjecting them to the type of disicplinary measures reserved for everyone else. A child - or even chimpanzee - who doesn't understand the impact of shooting a gun at someone? It's not the same as a serial killer who's pursuing that course of action for sadistic thrills.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 02:05:09 AM
I'm not talking about "good" or "bad/evil" at all, because I think that is completely irrelevant when you talk about killing people. I'm just saying that killing is killing and that trying to justify certain killings really opens up a bunch of can of worms.

Isn't that what this debate is about, though? :) The ethical considerations of a killer's motivations are the only way we can really differentiate. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the option of ruling manslaughter.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 02:36:11 AM
There's no right side to murder. Ever. I'm sorry but that's true. Killing may be necessary but that doesn't make it right. Heck, even in times of war, the rules of engagement dictate that someone not be killed in cold blood (of course that's never considered in reality but I'm just throwing it out there).

How is standing up to tyranny not a justifiable use of it? Or defending the defenceless? Or helping someone to die peacefully, to avoid a much more agonising, perhaps even prolonged, different form of death? Or killing an animal to feed a starving family?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather that we didn't live in a world where any of that ever needed to happen, but that's the reality of life. Those situations can and will continue to crop up. When and where they do, we need to be able to make a distinction between someone who acted in, say, self-defence and had no other option, as opposed to a real-life Hannibal Lecter (or those who commit murder more indirectly, such as Stalin). We can't simply box everyone together and say they're all 'just as bad' as one another.

Remember, sometimes inaction has a much greater, negative consequence than taking action.

Would it have been better, in hindsight, to have taken out the Nazi regime when it became obvious that it had global domination in mind, rather than waiting? Absolutely. Many, many more lives would have been saved and things like the death camps could have been largely, if not completely, avoided.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 24, 2013, 03:00:06 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 02:36:11 AM

How is standing up to tyranny not a justifiable use of it? Or defending the defenceless? Or helping someone to die peacefully, to avoid a much more agonising, perhaps even prolonged, different form of death? Or killing an animal to feed a starving family?

Euthanising someone isn't murder. Murder is killing in cold blood. What you described is euthanasia, something entirely different. Killing an animal isn't murder to me because I see them as a food source so that really depends on one's views on animal slaughter. There are humane ways of doing it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Isn't that what this debate is about, though? :) The ethical considerations of a killer's motivations are the only way we can really differentiate. Otherwise, we wouldn't have the option of ruling manslaughter.

Manslaughter like accidentally killing someone, like running someone over with a car by accident or accidently killing someone in a drunken bar-fight gone bad? How can that ever be compared to going to war, knowing very well that plenty of people will be killed? Or going into a country to kill their leader? Or planned murder? Or a serial killer spree?

A planned killing and an accident resulting in someone dying are two completely different things.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 03:08:55 AM
Euthanising someone isn't murder. Murder is killing in cold blood. What you described is euthanasia, something entirely different. Killing an animal isn't murder to me because I see them as a food source so that really depends on one's views on animal slaughter. There are humane ways of doing it.

See? You're making my point for me. :) Different categories of killing are required precisely because of distinctions like this.

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 24, 2013, 04:51:33 AM
Manslaughter like accidentally killing someone, like running someone over with a car by accident or accidently killing someone in a drunken bar-fight gone bad? How can that ever be compared to going to war, knowing very well that plenty of people will be killed? Or going into a country to kill their leader? Or planned murder? Or a serial killer spree?

A planned killing and an accident resulting in someone dying are two completely different things.

I wasn't saying manslaughter was the only exception - just one of the most obvious. Outside of war crime allegations, you won't usually find a soldier being brought up on charges for killing the enemy, either. Likewise, depending on the laws where it takes place, someone who kills an assailant in self-defence may well not be convicted of unlawful murder.

We can't just say that any and all varieties of killing are 'wrong' or 'evil'. Life isn't black and white enough to allow for that. If someone had shot and killed Adolf Hitler, it would still be the loss of a human life, but I'm not at all sure that doing so would have ethically qualified as a wholly bad thing.

SM

SM

Who would've fed his cat?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 24, 2013, 06:09:57 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2013, 03:08:55 AM

See? You're making my point for me. :) Different categories of killing are required precisely because of distinctions like this.

That still doesn't make murder capital M, acceptable. I'm talking about a specific form of killing, like I pointed out in my initial post.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: maledoro on Jun 24, 2013, 01:41:49 AMNot if the killer doesn't know right from wrong.
Those people would be insane and/or extreme sociopaths.
But they do exist, do they not?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/southern_tier/bullies-torment-teen-even-in-death

This was perhaps the worst case of bullying I've ever read about. I nearly cried.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 26, 2013, 04:12:13 AM
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/southern_tier/bullies-torment-teen-even-in-death

This was perhaps the worst case of bullying I've ever read about. I nearly cried.
Wow.  :-\

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That's what it sounds like, especially since the affected states are mostly the southern ones :-\

ShadowPred

Xenomorphine

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed