In The News (Read 1,412,646 times)

Blacklabel

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 10, 2013, 09:38:06 PM
http://io9.com/an-interactive-map-of-racist-homophobic-and-ableist-tw-499908637

Sweet jeebus.

Damn Idaho.  :laugh:

Am I the only one seeing inappropriate Rorschach images of festive crimson orgies in this data?

Spoiler
[close]

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ShadowPred on May 10, 2013, 09:05:07 PM
I think Doom is being sarcastic because I guess he's exposed to a bunch of stuff that always calls out men on being privileged bastards, and something about all of them being misogynists. This is Doom saying: "THIS DISPROVES WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT MEN!"

Or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I've been reading up on the MRM lately and delving more into modern-day feminism and some of the arguments the latter camp make for male privilege and patriarchal conspiracies really make me laugh. This case is just one example of how men are screwed by the justice system when it comes to marital issues.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2013, 04:49:20 AM
I think Doom is being sarcastic because I guess he's exposed to a bunch of stuff that always calls out men on being privileged bastards, and something about all of them being misogynists. This is Doom saying: "THIS DISPROVES WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT MEN!"

Or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I've been reading up on the MRM lately and delving more into modern-day feminism and some of the arguments the latter camp make for male privilege and patriarchal conspiracies really make me laugh. This case is just one example of how men are screwed by the justice system when it comes to martial issues.
Yeah, women never allow us to practice the best Kung Fu techniques.  >:(

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Hilarious.

BANE

BANE

I'm still trying to master the crouching water bottle technique.

The crouching water bottle, Chris. If you can explain to me how that's a good technique, I'll take back my sentiments.

I'm pissed as hell.  >:(

Our main move involves getting as crumpled up as possible, and unexpectedly exploding outwards in a violent jumping jack. Or, we go as straight and rigid as possible and try to fall on our opponents.

The gender disparity in martial arts techniques is a real and troubling trend that needs to be curbed before it becomes too great to fix.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BANE on May 11, 2013, 01:25:43 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2013, 04:49:20 AM

Or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I've been reading up on the MRM lately and delving more into modern-day feminism and some of the arguments the latter camp make for male privilege and patriarchal conspiracies really make me laugh. This case is just one example of how men are screwed by the justice system when it comes to martial issues.
Yeah, women never allow us to practice the best Kung Fu techniques.  >:(

Lol! Corrected now :P

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

From Jedi Nerd to Successful Attorney.

In an Internet-obsessed age when it seems as though too many people seek fame via viral videos, it's easy to forget that there are plenty of people out there who didn't intend for certain videos to end up online and became Internet famous for something deeply embarrassing. Case in point the "Star Wars kid," Ghyslain Raza, who was made Internet famous ten years ago when a video of him yielding a gold club retriever as a lightsaber hit the Interwebs.

A viral video star was born, but with less-than-happy results due in large part to the fact that the then-14-year-old never meant for the video to end up online. Raza, now a 25-year-old law school graduate, has finally spoken out about his ordeal in an effort to bring more awareness to the harmful effects of cyber-bullying.
"What I saw was mean. It was violent," Raza recalled in his first-ever interview with French-Canadian magazine L'actualité, which also appears in English in the new issue of Maclean's. "People were telling me to commit suicide."
The Quebec native revealed that he was forced to change schools because of the negative attention and endless taunting from his peers, and that he lost the few friends he had in the fallout.

"In the common room, students climbed onto tabletops to insult me," he told the magazine of the very "dark period" in his life. "No matter how hard I tried to ignore people telling me to commit suicide, I couldn't help but feel worthless, like my life wasn't worth living."
Raza said that he wants other victims of cyber-bullying to know that no matter how negative the unwanted attention or unsolicited commentary from anonymous Internet commenters and/or real life bullies, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
"You'll survive. You'll get through it," he said. "And you're not alone. You are surrounded by people who love you."

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Feel good story of the day, thanks Rick. It's good to know there are people strong enough to stand up to cyber-bullies.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Rick Grimes on May 12, 2013, 05:16:59 PM

From Jedi Nerd to Successful Attorney.

In an Internet-obsessed age when it seems as though too many people seek fame via viral videos, it's easy to forget that there are plenty of people out there who didn't intend for certain videos to end up online and became Internet famous for something deeply embarrassing. Case in point the "Star Wars kid," Ghyslain Raza, who was made Internet famous ten years ago when a video of him yielding a gold club retriever as a lightsaber hit the Interwebs.

A viral video star was born, but with less-than-happy results due in large part to the fact that the then-14-year-old never meant for the video to end up online. Raza, now a 25-year-old law school graduate, has finally spoken out about his ordeal in an effort to bring more awareness to the harmful effects of cyber-bullying.
"What I saw was mean. It was violent," Raza recalled in his first-ever interview with French-Canadian magazine L'actualité, which also appears in English in the new issue of Maclean's. "People were telling me to commit suicide."
The Quebec native revealed that he was forced to change schools because of the negative attention and endless taunting from his peers, and that he lost the few friends he had in the fallout.

"In the common room, students climbed onto tabletops to insult me," he told the magazine of the very "dark period" in his life. "No matter how hard I tried to ignore people telling me to commit suicide, I couldn't help but feel worthless, like my life wasn't worth living."
Raza said that he wants other victims of cyber-bullying to know that no matter how negative the unwanted attention or unsolicited commentary from anonymous Internet commenters and/or real life bullies, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
"You'll survive. You'll get through it," he said. "And you're not alone. You are surrounded by people who love you."
Sure, I laughed watching his video, but why would people tell him to kill himself? We all do weird shit like that. Nice to know he's a successful person now though.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I thought it was pretty awesome.

I don't remember the youtube comments being that negative either, but then again just about the only site I ever got into early was facebook because I was on it when you still had to be a college student.  Myspace, youtube, twitter (which I still haven't got on) I got on way later than everybody else. 

So the rough comments might've been over on youtube already by the time I got there.

Of course, I don't know what was said to him in person and I know people can be douches.  So good on him for being successful and supportive of other people who might be on their own and struggling atm.

BANE

BANE

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed