In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,625 times)

BANE

BANE

I know, but the article says he punched him in the face. I don't think there's such a soft spot on the face to do lethal damage without hitting extremely hard. I know there's soft spots on the side of the head near the ears, but the face...

SiL

SiL

Concussion gone horribly wrong? The article's fairly vague on details.

But considering people being punched once and dying/being given permanent brain damage became such a problem here that the government had to start a damn campaign about it, this, unfortunately, isn't that surprising or shocking :-\

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: BANE on May 06, 2013, 12:07:48 AM
I know, but the article says he punched him in the face. I don't think there's such a soft spot on the face to do lethal damage without hitting extremely hard. I know there's soft spots on the side of the head near the ears, but the face...

Temple?  If you've ever been in a fight sport the three spots you aim for on the human head is the bottom jaw, the temple, and just behind the ears.

This is of course going for the KO.  You can kill people in attacks associated with the nose, eyes, and top of the head.  A luck strike to the temple can do it as well.

I've heard that people that struck in the face and die can sometimes have problems with their spinal cord and the whiplash effect of a KO blow or strike to the face can cause enough damage to go from an undisclosed/recovering injury to a fatal one.

SM

SM

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 06, 2013, 01:23:08 AM
Quote from: BANE on May 06, 2013, 12:07:48 AM

Temple?  If you've ever been in a fight sport the three spots you aim for on the human head is the bottom jaw, the temple, and just behind the ears.

This is of course going for the KO.  You can kill people in attacks associated with the nose, eyes, and top of the head.  A luck strike to the temple can do it as well.

I've heard that people that struck in the face and die can sometimes have problems with their spinal cord and the whiplash effect of a KO blow or strike to the face can cause enough damage to go from an undisclosed/recovering injury to a fatal one.
Hmm. Interesting. I doubt the kid was trying to kill the ref, so given your post I'd think the severity of the injury was a fluke. I've seen much larger and stronger people hit (obviously) harder and people on the receiving end haven't died; heck, they didn't even get knocked out. I wonder if perhaps there was some pre-existing condition or injury that the punch might have exacerbated.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2013, 12:13:53 AM

But considering people being punched once and dying/being given permanent brain damage became such a problem here that the government had to start a damn campaign about it, this, unfortunately, isn't that surprising or shocking :-\

Was that more about heads hitting pavements after being king hit?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2013, 12:13:53 AM

What the...does Australia have a particularly bad problem with street fighting?

SM

SM

First rule is we can't talk about it...

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2013, 03:22:44 AM
First rule is we can't talk about it...

Which is also the second rule.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2013, 02:24:25 AM
Was that more about heads hitting pavements after being king hit?
I think those cases got the ball rolling. But they came out with plenty of examples where the head didn't crack against the ground (Which was the first thing I checked with this article too).

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 06, 2013, 02:53:30 AM
What the...does Australia have a particularly bad problem with street fighting?
We have a problem with a generation of douchebag c**ts getting trashed every weekend and picking fights for shits and giggles.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Thats every male society I've ever been in.  Here they get Khatted up instead of drunk and still try and pick a fight with you.  Most westerners are about double the size of most Djiboutians though, so it isn't really a problem even when they do get froggy.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: SiL on May 06, 2013, 08:41:55 AM
We have a problem with a generation of douchebag c**ts getting trashed every weekend and picking fights for shits and giggles.

Sounds like England.

Hubbs

Hubbs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/kentucky-shooting_n_3189828.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Note to all UK parents, give your 5yr old children rifles for gifts.

Aspie

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Hubbs on May 06, 2013, 03:42:59 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/kentucky-shooting_n_3189828.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Note to all UK parents, give your 5yr old children rifles for gifts.

Thats my home state.  And I was handling guns when I was about 7 or 8.  The difference is if I'd have been caught handling it like it was a toy I'd have had my ass wooped.  Likewise the only time I really took the .22 out was to shoot it.  The rest of the time it stayed locked up with the bolt open so when you got it out you already knew it was unloaded.

I wouldn't mind an age restriction on guns though to be honest.  So many people do treat them like toys and have no respect for them and typically you mature as you get older. 

"Never point your weapon at anything your unwilling to destroy," should apply to everyone who owns a weapon.  Not just people in the military.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed