In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,412,690 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 28, 2013, 12:08:10 AM
There's no "war" on science or religion -- Americans just have a hard on for the word and try to use it for melodramatic effect in regard to any kind of opposing viewpoints.

Considering in the last four years, Texas wanted to introduce a bill to ban evolution from schools and the rise of the intelligent design movement in the last 10 years, yes, I'd say there is a war on science.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Some ignorant redneck dumbasses dry-humping their bibles and not really accomplishing much is hardly a war.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Look up the documentary, "War On Science" and you'll see what I mean. There are honest-to-God scientists making a push for more religion to be taught in schools.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Which shouldn't happen, we don't need more BS than we already have.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 28, 2013, 02:33:33 AM
Look up the documentary, "War On Science" and you'll see what I mean. There are honest-to-God scientists making a push for more religion to be taught in schools.
Then they aren't real scientists. And it's not anywhere near a formidable number -- just a few whack jobs at fake "Creation institutes" and such.

Yes, there is a rabid movement of Christian religious fanatics in the US, but they aren't going to somehow get creationism taught in schools nationwide or score any other major victory for Jebus. Maybe in Texas, but that place has effectively written itself off as the country's moron dumpster for decades.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

In case anyone's interested, here it is.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/war-science/

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Effectz on Mar 27, 2013, 12:18:35 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Mar 27, 2013, 11:58:23 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/creationist-offers-10-000-anyone-willing-challenge-literal-164018499.html

Creationists are so deluded it's unreal.

Mastropaolo said that any evidence presented in the trial must be "scientific, objective, valid, reliable and calibrated."

Look at this woman for instance,Richard is telling her the scientific fact's but she just tries to control the conversation by ranting about off topic things dodging the questions.It's hard to watch through this video after about 2 minutes you want to punch her in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYOgRo#ws

Where shall we do the interview?How about two feet over here?

Give the man a f**king chair for f**k sake.
I've seen this video before and it was actually painful to watch. I know people say that, but I truly felt my innards curl up and wither. Never felt well since.

maledoro

maledoro

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I just love creationists so much  :) . They're some of the best entertainment around really.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Can science and religion even coexist going forward? Personally, I would prefer that religion just "goes away" as I dont see any positives to those who embrace religion. Call me a dickwad but I personally think atheists are intellectually and ethically higher in status than those who embrace any sort of religion. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way but heck, maybe I'm alone in this sort of thinking(atheism>religion)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Science and Religion can co-exists as long as Religion is individual and not institutionalized/organized. Religion also has to redefine itself as it no longer is the right tool to explain the workings of the world and the universe. Religion is great at strengthening people that have no strength (but, as we all know, it can be used to exploit that strength to make people do horrible things as well). It is a way to find inner sanctum and calm, a place where you can traverse obstacles and such. But as long as Religion is institutionalized (organized) it'll infer not only with science but with other aspects of society as well. It'll bump into Science over and over again, and lose.

Just to add I'm not religious. I guess I would qualify as an Atheist, but now and then the Agnostic in me awakens.

maledoro

maledoro

Science and religion are like ice cream and spinach: you want to keep them on separate dishes as they do not mix well.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

It depends on what you mean with co-exist. If you mean Science and Religion being used simultaneously to explain the same things, I do totally agree with you that they are spinach and ice cream. But if you mean that one can't be both scientific and religious as a person I think you're wrong.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: maledoro on Mar 28, 2013, 03:55:37 PM
Science and religion are like ice cream and spinach: you want to keep them on separate dishes as they do not mix well.
You're comparing religion to a nutritious, leafy green?

Nah, religion is more like marmite.

Shinawi

Shinawi

My Christian elementary school teachers skipped the astronomy and prehistoric life (including dinosaurs) parts of a textbook. I was a big fan of both topics so I asked why. They said that we didn't need to cover those. It's up to the teachers. Even my non-Christian teachers didn't cover 20th century history when it was in the textbook. I guess some parts of it were too difficult for them to teach children.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed