Author
In The News (Read 1,414,246 times)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 13, 2013, 10:14:23 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 13, 2013, 02:13:08 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 13, 2013, 01:19:24 PM
Linking, motherf**ker, do you speak it?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-astrobiologists-discover-fossils-in-meteorite-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life

Well, that sent a quiver through my heart. Really, really interesting. Gonna wait for more evidence and some independent verification before I go full-on science-gasm, though.

While I'd like it to be true, a part of me is skeptical. It just seems too good to be true.

Cvalda

Cvalda

SiL

SiL

It'd be just our luck that the one thing to survive the inevitable destruction of all mankind will be a f**king Lars von Trier film.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

So I heard a new Pope got elected.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Mar 13, 2013, 10:53:16 PM
It'd be just our luck that the one thing to survive the inevitable destruction of all mankind will be a f**king Lars von Trier film.

Aspie

Aspie

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 13, 2013, 10:24:37 PM

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-astrobiologists-discover-fossils-in-meteorite-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life

Well, that sent a quiver through my heart. Really, really interesting. Gonna wait for more evidence and some independent verification before I go full-on science-gasm, though.

While I'd like it to be true, a part of me is skeptical. It just seems too good to be true.

its nothing but Pseudoscience, that's why it got no widespread publication or credit

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

No, it's not pseudoscience. It's bad science. There's a difference.

SM

SM

As evidenced by the people calling bullshit in the comments.  ;D

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: Gate on Mar 13, 2013, 11:33:02 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Mar 13, 2013, 10:24:37 PM

its nothing but Pseudoscience, that's why it got no widespread publication or credit

I'm sure the real reason how we get to this point is alot more boring than this.

Gates

Gates

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 13, 2013, 10:01:56 PM
Vladimir Putin teams up with Steven Seagal to promote healthy lifestyle

No, it's not an Onion article.

QuoteIn what seemed to be a choreographed incident, Seagal rushed into a crowd of children trying to pose with Putin and pulled him out, as if acting as his bodyguard.

:D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Gates on Mar 14, 2013, 12:42:13 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 13, 2013, 10:01:56 PM
Vladimir Putin teams up with Steven Seagal to promote healthy lifestyle

No, it's not an Onion article.

QuoteIn what seemed to be a choreographed incident, Seagal rushed into a crowd of children trying to pose with Putin and pulled him out, as if acting as his bodyguard.

:D

Well this explains why Stevie didn't walk out with Machida at his last fight. He was too busy drinking vodka.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Mar 13, 2013, 07:07:18 PM
TWINKIES ARE BACK!!!!

QuoteTwinkies and other Hostess snacks could be back on shelves by this summer after a successful $410 million bid for the business.

The winning bid is a joint venture by private equity firms Apollo Global Management (APO) and Metropoulos & Co. A statement from Dean Metropoulos, founder of one of the firms, confirmed they are the winning bidder.

"Our family is thrilled to have the opportunity to reestablish these iconic brands with new creative marketing ideas and renewed sales efforts and investment," said Metropoulos. "We look forward to having America's favorite snacks back on the shelf by this summer. We are also ecstatic to bring jobs back to many cities across the country."

The bankruptcy court had been set to have an auction among qualified bidders on Thursday, but Hostess notified the court late Monday that no other qualified bids had been submitted. That means the $410 million bid wins by default with no further approval of the court being required.

Anthony Michael Sabino, a business school professor at St. John's University, said the lack of other bidders is no surprise, given the $410 million bid that needed to be topped.

"While the Bankruptcy Code seeks competitive bidding to increase recoveries to creditors, the law can't invent bidders," he said. "The good news is a significant amount of money to pay Hostess' creditors. The great news, Twinkies have been saved!"

Hostess had no comment on the deal beyond the filing.

Wonder Bread, Twinkies and other Hostess products have not been produced since November, when the company filed with the bankruptcy court to liquidate its business following a crippling strike by the Bakery Workers union.

But while Hostess is out of business, and most of its 18,500 employees have lost their jobs, the company has been auctioning off its various brands as part of the liquidation process.

Metropoulos has experience turning around financially troubled food brands. The firm's food holdings include Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, and in the past have included Chef Boyardee canned pasta, Bumble Bee seafood, PAM cooking spray and Gulden's Mustard, all of which it eventually sold to ConAgra Foods Inc

The joint bid by Apollo and Metropoulos had been tapped in January as the lead bidder for most of Hostess' snack cake business, which includes both Hostess and Dolly Madison products, led by its iconic Twinkies brand. The bidders also bought five of the closed bakeries as part of their bid.

Flowers Foods (FLO) won most of Hostess' bread business on Feb. 28 with a $360 million bid that included the Wonder, Nature's Pride, Merita, Home Pride and Butternut bread brands, as well as 20 bakeries.

Privately held McKee Foods Corp. was tapped as the leading bidder with its $27.5 million offer for Hostess' Drake's brand and some of its equipment. Drake's products include Ring Dings, Yodels, Devil Dogs and Yankee Doodles, as well as its coffee cake. That bid is still pending.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/12/news/companies/twinkies-buyer/index.html?fb_action_ids=431005186992774&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%22431005186992774%22%3A418494608242796%7D&action_type_map=%7B%22431005186992774%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FpwjQLZTTs#ws

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

This is sad  :'(

Robin Fitzpatrick never knew peanuts could kill her son.
Cameron Groezinger-Fitzpatrick, 19, a college freshman who suffered from a severe nut allergy, died last Friday after eating a cookie that contained peanut oil. His friend had sworn it didn't.
"We were all so shocked, it came out of nowhere," Fitzpatrick told ABCNews.com. "For 19 years, he had been knock-on-wood safe."
The Plymouth, Mass., native was first diagnosed with a nut allergy when he was 8, after projectile-vomiting "across the room" at a Chinese restaurant, his mother said. In high school he suffered from a serious allergic reaction after he dropped his asthma inhaler into a pile of acorns while running. The wild nuts caused his throat to constrict. But he was fine after getting prompt treatment, his mother said.
Then, one week ago, he ate half a cookie.
Spring break had just started and the international business major with plans to study abroad in Australia had only been home for two hours, on a visit from Rhode Island where he attended Bryant University, according to his mother.
He and his friend were out driving and bought cookies. Groezinger- Fitzpatrick's friend ate one first. The friend said he didn't taste any hint of peanut.
"He said, Ah, the hell with it, I'm sure it's fine," his friend recalled Groezinger- Fitzpatrick as saying, his mother said.
Within minutes the teen was home; it was about 6:30 that evening, and he was doubled over and turning black and blue, his mother said. "I can't breathe, I can't breathe," he had said. He hadn't unpacked yet so his mom couldn't find his Epi-Pen -- an epinephrine autoinjector. She had one in her cupboard but it had expired two months earlier. First responders told her over the phone that she shouldn't use it.
A fire chief who lived next door brought over an Epi-Pen, which was administered to the teen. (Later, his doctor told his mother she could have used the expired pen, but couldn't say whether it would have helped him.)
Once at the hospital, 15 people tag-teamed to perform CPR on the dying teen. For two hours, they tried to revive him.
"I was begging so much, these people were crying and working on him, thinking, 'We're only doing this for the mother,'" she said.
At 9 p.m., he was declared dead. Fitzpatrick stayed with her son's body until 1 a.m.
"I didn't know you can die from nut allergies. I feel foolish," she said.
At least three million American children suffer from a food or digestive allergy, and the problem is growing, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Between 1997 and 2007, the figure rose 18 percent.
Severe food allergies stem from a combination of genes, environment and possibly diet, said Dr. Kari Nadeau, associate professor of allergies and immunology at the Stanford University School of Medicine.
"We need more research to be done to help save lives," she said. "We don't have all the answers now."
As a small child, Groezinger-Fitzpatrick refused to nuts because their smell made him sick.
"It's almost like his body knew," said his mother.
Doctors later diagnosed him with an allergy to all nuts and told Groezinger- Fitzpatrick he could live a normal life. But he had to be very careful.
He wrote a bucket list at age 9. He carried an Epi-Pen. He checked food labels and questioned food service workers constantly.
But on Friday, there was no label. And his body didn't alert him to danger.
Now Groezinger-Fitzpatrick, who was on the dean's list at his college, won't be able to live in Australia with his girlfriend or work in finance.
He just might be able to cross off one of his bucket list items, though -- to save a life. He donated his organs.
"He always wanted to do something big," said his mother, as she prepared to attend his wake. More than 1,000 people were expected. "He's going out big. He's going to make others realize [they need to] be supercautious. Be your biggest advocate," she said.

http://gma.yahoo.com/allergic-teen-dies-eating-cookie-050855791--abc-news-wellness.html

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed