What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 595,701 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMI don't know what you currently have, but in all fairness, what was created for the DVD Special Editions of Predator and Predator 2 are so much more than lackluster. Take Predator 2 for instance, not only does the disc feature two separate commentaries.. Stephen Hopkins and the Thomas Bros.. but the disc contains three Behind-the-scenes featurettes made during production, a fourth Behind-the-scenes featurette with brand new interviews made especially for the Special Edition, mini featurettes for every new weapon the City Hunter has all with Stan Winston's John Rosengrant, four mini special effects featurettes, TV Spots, Trailers, Gallery. It's pretty darn robust!

Honestly the making-ofs for the first two are pretty lightweight. The one for the first film's not bad but I remember the second one's being pretty disappointing. I don't think they even interviewed any of the sequel's cast, beyond clips filmed on set at the time. They feel more like promo fluff pieces than actual documentaries. I mean, I get that we've been enormously spoilt with Lauzirika's Alien docs, but these pale in comparison. They're, what, 20 minutes long?

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMYou mean The Predator right? That disc is certainly lackluster.  :-\

No, the first film. It's got a 10-minute featurette on it that was new for the Blu, although as far as I'm aware its basically just an interview with producer John Davis as well as Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod Antal (who, obviously, weren't even involved with it). It's the only new thing they put together for the Blu-rays.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMI wouldn't put Predator 2 on the same level with The Predator in regards to cuts though.

No, but there was still stuff taken out beyond cuts for violence. You can see some of it actually being filmed in the making-of, so it would've been nice to get a couple of those deleted scenes on the disc.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 19, 2019, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMI don't know what you currently have, but in all fairness, what was created for the DVD Special Editions of Predator and Predator 2 are so much more than lackluster. Take Predator 2 for instance, not only does the disc feature two separate commentaries.. Stephen Hopkins and the Thomas Bros.. but the disc contains three Behind-the-scenes featurettes made during production, a fourth Behind-the-scenes featurette with brand new interviews made especially for the Special Edition, mini featurettes for every new weapon the City Hunter has all with Stan Winston's John Rosengrant, four mini special effects featurettes, TV Spots, Trailers, Gallery. It's pretty darn robust!

Honestly the making-ofs for the first two are pretty lightweight. The one for the first film's not bad but I remember the second one's being pretty disappointing. I don't think they even interviewed any of the sequel's cast, beyond clips filmed on set at the time. They feel more like promo fluff pieces than actual documentaries. I mean, I get that we've been enormously spoilt with Lauzirika's Alien docs, but these pale in comparison. They're, what, 20 minutes long?

Not 20 Minutes. The brand-new SE docs were approximately 30 Minutes and 35 Minutes long. Lightweight? Fluff? It seems you're not familiar with these as the big Predator fans here and you're not being fair. The Predator docs can be called fluff, sure, but not these.  No, they're not like the extensive Alien docs, but not much are. But these are not fluff.

To me new cast interviews are not important as new director interviews and fx guys, and both John McTeirnan and Stephen Hopkins came back for these. But with Predator, you get new cast interviews with Carl Weathers, Bill Duke, etc.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMYou mean The Predator right? That disc is certainly lackluster.  :-\

No, the first film. It's got a 10-minute featurette on it that was new for the Blu, although as far as I'm aware its basically just an interview with producer John Davis as well as Robert Rodriguez and Nimrod Antal (who, obviously, weren't even involved with it). It's the only new thing they put together for the Blu-rays.

Sounds like you don't own the Special Edition and/or what you watched was more to promote Predators versus delve into the true making of Predator.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 12:57:25 PMI wouldn't put Predator 2 on the same level with The Predator in regards to cuts though.

No, but there was still stuff taken out beyond cuts for violence. You can see some of it actually being filmed in the making-of, so it would've been nice to get a couple of those deleted scenes on the disc.

Those are called deleted scenes. It doesn't mean they were included in a previous cut of the movie. I've read the shooting script. What's on the page is 95% all there. But with every movie there are scenes filmed that are left on the cutting room floor, that are cut for flow and pacing or because they simply do not work. That doesn't equate to what happened with The Predator.

With that said, a deleted scenes supplemental would be very nice! :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 01:37:53 PMNot 20 Minutes. The brand-new SE docs were approximately 30 Minutes and 35 Minutes long. Lightweight? Fluff? It seems you're not familiar with these as the big Predator fans here and you're not being fair. The Predator docs can be called fluff, sure, but not these.  No, they're not like the extensive Alien docs, but not much are. But these are not fluff.

No, I stand by what I said. Whether you agree is up to you, but I didn't think much to them to be honest. Like I said, the first film's wasn't bad but I found the second one pretty forgettable and lacking in substance. Even the on-screen graphics looked cheap.

Also lol, I love it when people try to act like some else isn't a "big" fan just because they disagree.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 01:37:53 PMSounds like you don't own the Special Edition and/or what you watched was more to promote Predators versus delve into the true making of Predator.

I've not watched it. I already said, I don't have the Blu-ray yet. But looking at the features list, that's the only thing on either of the first two films' Blus that isn't also on the old SE DVDs.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 01:37:53 PMThose are called deleted scenes. It doesn't mean they were included in a previous cut of the movie.

You sound rather patronising. I know what they're called. I know they weren't ever in the film. That doesn't mean they couldn't still put some of them on the home video release, because clearly at least some unused scenes were filmed.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 19, 2019, 03:20:18 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 01:37:53 PMNot 20 Minutes. The brand-new SE docs were approximately 30 Minutes and 35 Minutes long. Lightweight? Fluff? It seems you're not familiar with these as the big Predator fans here and you're not being fair. The Predator docs can be called fluff, sure, but not these.  No, they're not like the extensive Alien docs, but not much are. But these are not fluff.

No, I stand by what I said. Whether you agree is up to you, but I didn't think much to them to be honest. Like I said, the first film's wasn't bad but I found the second one pretty forgettable and lacking in substance. Even the on-screen graphics looked cheap.

Also lol, I love it when people try to act like some else isn't a "big" fan just because they disagree.

You don't have to think much of them, that's fine, and that is clearly your prerogative. But it's also fair to suggest your categorization of these documentaries as "fluff" per the definition of "trivial" or "superficial" is inaccurate, and perhaps a better adjective should have been used.

Also, I never said you weren't a "big Predator fan" because we disagree.  I said "it seems you're not familiar with these as the big Predator fans here" because you thought the doc was only 20 minutes, something likely not mistaken by one who has watched the documentary more times than they can count.  (Guilty :D)  There's also been other Predator corrections I've helped with you here too. But there's nothing wrong with bigger Predator and Alien fans with films, EU, video games or all three.  I'm a huge fan of Alien, but I bet your even gone bigger Alien fan than me with deeper dives, where my expertise is stronger on the Predator side. :)  Just the fact that you didn't run out right away to purchase Predator or Predator 2 on blu-ray for the higher resolution, unless one is financially constrained of course!  And Valequen maybe kicks both our asses!  ;D

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 01:37:53 PMThose are called deleted scenes. It doesn't mean they were included in a previous cut of the movie.

You sound rather patronising. I know what they're called. I know they weren't ever in the film. That doesn't mean they couldn't still put some of them on the home video release, because clearly at least some unused scenes were filmed.

Read your quote again:

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 19, 2019, 03:20:18 PM
Considering the second and especially fourth films were edited before release it'd be nice to see something related to that.

I have always been responding to you equating the two, which implies there is a larger/different cut in existence of Predator 2 like The Predator.  I think you have suggested that before.  And I've countered otherwise.

I'm not trying to or intending to patronize you.

The Old One

The Old One

I just wish it had something on the quality of the Anthology, but I don't think as much material exists.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 19, 2019, 04:23:49 PM
I just wish it had something on the quality of the Anthology, but I don't think as much material exists.

You may be right. Yet I think there's enough material  out there to support a documentary on the all the Predator's incarnations, which would be fascinating. But alas, losing Stan is big missing puzzle piece.  :'(

EJA

EJA

I wish I was a better person for you all.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: EJA on Nov 19, 2019, 05:19:59 PM

You're fine. Well, actually, we don't really know you yet, but you seem fine. ;D

What's EJA stand for?

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: EJA on Nov 19, 2019, 05:19:59 PM

You're fine. Well, actually, we don't really know you yet, but you seem fine. ;D

What's EJA stand for?

My initials :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 04:10:20 PMJust the fact that you didn't run out right away to purchase Predator or Predator 2 on blu-ray for the higher resolution, unless one is financially constrained of course!

I've mostly not bothered upgrading before now because a) part of me was hoping they'd bring out a more impressive set at some point, and b) by all accounts, getting Predator on Blu-ray is a choice between acceptable image quality but no bonus stuff whatsoever or an atrocious DNR'd mess.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 19, 2019, 04:10:20 PMI have always been responding to you equating the two, which implies there is a larger/different cut in existence of Predator 2 like The Predator.  I think you have suggested that before.  And I've countered otherwise.

I'm not suggesting the second film was altered anything like as drastically as the fourth. But there was definitely stuff that was filmed and not used that we've never seen.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Personally, I wouldn't call it an ADRed mess. I know the Ultimate Edition gets a bad wrap for it, but really, it's just one or two cuts early on on Carl Weather's face that look bad. Otherwise, I thought it was perfectly fine.

The Old One

The Old One

No, it's mostly garbage AP.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Yeah, Weathers does look a bit like an action (Jackson?) figure in a couple of shots.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Nov 19, 2019, 09:12:16 PM
No, it's mostly garbage AP.

Hicks is not an atmosphere processor, he's a man!  Although he might explode like a 40 megaton nuke some day.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nah, I disagree. I know people like to trash on it, but aside from those early plasticky shots of Weathers, I do like the Hunter Edition.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed