What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 595,657 times)

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on May 22, 2018, 09:34:48 PM
I can't feel bad about not passing, as MANY coders fail the first time, just like how many RNs usually fail the boards the first time. The fact I just graduated, have less than two months experience on the coding job, and had no idea how the questions were going to be formatted, I am proud of the percentage I got *pats self on back*

As an RN, I can sympathize :-[  And you were incredibly close too.  Best of luck on your next retake - hopefully knowing the flow of the test (now that you've taken it once) will help you on your following attempt.

As far as what made me unhappy today: rush hour traffic through Atlanta on a Friday...Memorial Day weekend.  What a nightmare.  Hours upon hours of city hell.  Never again...

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on May 25, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
When you apply for a job that's written as a customer Service Assistant under a different title, then you go to the website to update the last few details and the job description has changed to a more managerial role which im not qualified for
and they've added an actually Customer Service Assistant job to the site.

Seriously WTF

Don't let the management talk fool you. Most of the people already working in management (as a rule) are the least qualified people to hold such positions. Likely, somebody just screwed up. But I've had managers I was working for flat-out tell me that they do "build up" their job descriptions to intimidate and thus keep the riff-raff and the lazy people from applying. I'll just leave it at that. Now, if they were eliminating jobs and consolidating responsibilities, that's a bad sign.

But on a side note, if it's somewhere you're really interested in working, I'd advise meeting with management before your interview, if you haven't already. You'd be very surprised at just how far a firm handshake and talking face to face will go towards helping you get the job. Plus it lets you know who you'll be dealing with, without the pressures of an official interview. You'll be on semi-even ground.

A good manager is a blessing beyond measure when you're working. Especially (and I mean especially) when you're working customer service. I've worked with and for managers that had no business running a lemonade stand. And I've worked for managers that you could count on to both pull their weight and know their business. It's good to know who your dealing with, before you take the gig.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Huggs on May 26, 2018, 02:41:27 AM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on May 25, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
When you apply for a job that's written as a customer Service Assistant under a different title, then you go to the website to update the last few details and the job description has changed to a more managerial role which im not qualified for
and they've added an actually Customer Service Assistant job to the site.

Seriously WTF

Don't let the management talk fool you. Most of the people already working in management (as a rule) are the least qualified people to hold such positions. Likely, somebody just screwed up. But I've had managers I was working for flat-out tell me that they do "build up" their job descriptions to intimidate and thus keep the riff-raff and the lazy people from applying. I'll just leave it at that. Now, if they were eliminating jobs and consolidating responsibilities, that's a bad sign.

But on a side note, if it's somewhere you're really interested in working, I'd advise meeting with management before your interview, if you haven't already. You'd be very surprised at just how far a firm handshake and talking face to face will go towards helping you get the job. Plus it lets you know who you'll be dealing with, without the pressures of an official interview. You'll be on semi-even ground.

A good manager is a blessing beyond measure when you're working. Especially (and I mean especially) when you're working customer service. I've worked with and for managers that had no business running a lemonade stand. And I've worked for managers that you could count on to both pull their weight and know their business. It's good to know who your dealing with, before you take the gig.

The store hasn't opened yet, so its just the waiting atm

Huggs

Huggs

God help me, this feels so petty, but it did hurt my feelings.

So the family and I were supposed to celebrate my birthday today, because I have to go work a 12 hour shift tomorrow on a holiday. My folks got me nothing, but they are going through some stressful times and I love them of course, so it didn't bother me in the slightest. But there was one member of my family in particular, who made it kind of upsetting.

I basically helped raise him from birth, and I've always treated him like a brother and often times pulled Dad duty when needed. I've sold things I never thought I'd part with so he could eat and have electricity. I bought all of his Christmas presents when the old man ran out. It was my home he and his mother ran to and it was me that watched over them all night long when the old man finally went nuts. I took him to and from school during the week, while I was in college, and took him out to eat and see movies on the weekend when he was lonely. I babysat him, and cooked his meals, and took him to historic places so he could learn new things. I told him stories and taught him how to fish, and set an example of proper adult and manly conduct. To be respectful of others and to love your family more than yourself. And that you always work hard and take care of your business and family first.

So he's 20 years old now and he was making great choices and doing great. But he got his first job about 6 months ago and it's just ruined him for some reason. He won't hardly spend a dime of his money on anybody but himself, including his own mother, who just went another mother's day without even a card from her own son (him) who lives with her and doesn't really pay any bills. So he goes to town yesterday and buys himself $100+ worth of videogames and food/candy etc. Pays no bills, and gets me a $2.50 pack of candy, and a $1.10 card from the discount store. Well, he spent several hours on my birthday playing his new videogames on my television. Just gave me the card and the candy and sat down. We joked and laughed like crazy about silly things just like always, but he never even seemed to feel the need to say happy birthday.

I don't know why, but it just cuts me. After all the things and people I've protected him from. After all the love and guidance and friendship and attention and money I've given him during his life. After everything I taught him about being responsible, his duty to family and community, and to love others more than yourself. It just kinda hurts that he thought so little about me to invest practically no time or money on a day that's rather special to me and instead take care of his own wants. But that he didn't even tell me Happy Birthday hurts the most. It would be nice to at least hear that he gives a damn.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Glad I am not the only one who considers their birthday the most important day of the year!
Give him the electric bill when he comes back and tell him that was for the electric he used.

Also Happy Birthday Huggs

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on May 28, 2018, 11:46:04 AM
Also Happy Birthday Huggs

Thanks Fury.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I actually overslept this morning! Can't remember the last time that happened.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 01, 2018, 08:34:24 AM

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

:laugh:

Nobody woke up Hicks

Huggs

Huggs

You must've needed it. Did you dream of David or the Tannhäuser Gate? ;)

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Sad encounter today. I saw my Siamese cat batting at something in the basement window well, and noticed it was a chipmunk. My cat doesn't know how to hunt, just play. So he came in the house and I went out to investigate. The chipmunk was alive, but it appeared the cat scratched his eye or around it and it was bleeding bad. I went back in the house, got my gloves, and a wet paper towel. The chipmunk is already traumatized, and imagine a giant trying to pick it up didn't help either. I did catch it and wiped its eye area off and it looked so sad and in pain. There was blood all over its front paw, and it was mortified. I proceeded to keep it in my hand and I walked it back up to the forest and let it go. I hope that it will be ok.

Is it strange that I want to cry over an animal getting hurt (maybe even blind in one eye), and feel close to nothing when a human gets hurt?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jun 04, 2018, 01:34:34 AM
Sad encounter today. I saw my Siamese cat batting at something in the basement window well, and noticed it was a chipmunk. My cat doesn't know how to hunt, just play. So he came in the house and I went out to investigate. The chipmunk was alive, but it appeared the cat scratched his eye or around it and it was bleeding bad. I went back in the house, got my gloves, and a wet paper towel. The chipmunk is already traumatized, and imagine a giant trying to pick it up didn't help either. I did catch it and wiped its eye area off and it looked so sad and in pain. There was blood all over its front paw, and it was mortified. I proceeded to keep it in my hand and I walked it back up to the forest and let it go. I hope that it will be ok.

Is it strange that I want to cry over an animal getting hurt (maybe even blind in one eye), and feel close to nothing when a human gets hurt?

Glad to hear you saved the little feller. I wind up having to save a little critter from my cats about 5-6 times a year.

Some people will say if the animal is too far gone, to let nature take it's course, but that never felt right to me. I just remove them from the attack, and place them in an open box lined with a clean and soft towel. Then I set the box in my barn (as long as it's a comfortable temperature) and give them any food or water they might need. I try and comfort them as best I can, speak softly and let them know I'm not a predator. I make sure no cats or other animals got inside and then I leave and lock the door to allow them to pass in peace, though I do check on them frequently, just in case they tried to crawl out and got stuck somewhere.

And it's not strange to feel more for a wounded animal than a human, as long as you do have compassion for the weak, or those that are hurting. As a human being, especially an adult, it's natural to feel for and want to protect any living thing that is small and fragile. Animals and children of course are obvious examples. It's perfectly natural. You can't go through life coming unglued everytime the smallest thing happens to somebody. But as long as you maintain compassion for those less fortunate, and a basic appreciation for the circumstances of your fellow man, then you're perfectly fine.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 01, 2018, 01:12:44 PM

:laugh: Never gets old.

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 01, 2018, 05:31:23 PM

You must've needed it. Did you dream of David or the Tannhäuser Gate? ;)

Ha, no idea. I got karmed this morning though. I couldn't sleep last night. Took me until at least 2am, woke up about 4 and a bit hours later, felt like shit. This f**king warm weather over here currently.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It was f*cking roasting last night, so I'm not surprised.

One of those throw-the-duvet-on-the-floor-and-flop-out-on-top-of-the-bed nights.

The Old One

The Old One

Stayed up all night drawing due to the warm weather myself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed