The Official Superman Thread

Started by Shasvre, Feb 25, 2010, 04:57:34 AM

Author
The Official Superman Thread (Read 442,743 times)

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

I've never liked Superman. I always found him a very over-rated character.

But Man of Steel, is the first Superman related thing, that has ever interested me. And it's gone beyond that. I'm actually really excited to see this movie.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: KNIGHT on May 25, 2013, 06:40:02 PM
I've never liked Superman. I always found him a very over-rated character.

But Man of Steel, is the first Superman related thing, that has ever interested me. And it's gone beyond that. I'm actually really excited to see this movie.

I agree completely. For me to be so excited for a Superman film is quite surprising actually since I've never been fond of the character and any of the properties spewed out. This could very well be the first time I feel satisfied watching a Superman film. But now I'm worried I'm going to be let down because my expectations are sky-high (ahem).

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

^Same here guys, I liked Smallville though. But aside from that I have the same thoughts regarding Superman. My step brother too. But we're both so fu****g excited for this movie.

Shasvre

Shasvre

If you guys are looking forward to Man of Steel, you should try getting a hold of Birthright and reading it. I think you would like it. ;)

First Blood

First Blood

^ Agree completely.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Vickers on May 25, 2013, 06:13:15 PMYeah, Man of Steel is actually delving deeper into the sci-fi side of the Superman universe.
Ha ha ha-LOL

It's more of a Space Opera, not actual sci-fi.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

It's delving into the more sci fi aspects of it by playing Superman up as our first contact. Keeping the focus on him being alien.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Alienseseses on May 25, 2013, 09:40:10 PM
I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

It's delving into the more sci fi aspects of it by playing Superman up as our first contact. Keeping the focus on him being alien.
Nah, when the focus is put in the character and his inner drama, I doubt it could be called much a sci-fi aspect.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

When the inner drama comes from literally being an alien, and then the humans around him treat him as such, yes, it is sci fi.

Sci fi is allowed to have feelings.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Alienseseses on May 25, 2013, 10:10:21 PM
When the inner drama comes from literally being an alien, and then the humans around him treat him as such, yes, it is sci fi.
To me, it looks more like coming from his inner angst. Don't think anyone but his parents will know he is an alien before turning into Superman. I don't think this will be sci-fi, but a drama-ridden character study.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

It's more of a science-fantasy :P a la Dune and Star Wars :P

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 25, 2013, 10:41:27 PM
It's more of a science-fantasy :P a la Dune and Star Wars :P

So still science fiction. :P

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Magegg on May 25, 2013, 10:38:17 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on May 25, 2013, 10:10:21 PM
To me, it looks more like coming from his inner angst. Don't think anyone but his parents will know he is an alien before turning into Superman. I don't think this will be sci-fi, but a drama-ridden character study.

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/movie-news/item/8142-david-s-goyer-says-man-of-steel-is-about-first-contact.html

Quote"I adore the Donner films. Absolutely adore them," Goyer explains.  "It just struck me that there was an idealist quality to them that may or may not work with today's audience.  It just struck me that if Superman really existed in the world, first of all this story would be a story about first contact."
QuoteThere's your extraterrestrial angle.  In the more realistic world of Man of Steel, the public reacts to the revelation that not only do aliens exist, but one of them is flying around Earth.  Naturally, people freak out.  As Goyer says, "He's an alien.  You can easily imagine a scenario in which we'd be doing a film like E.T., as opposed to him running around in tights.  If the world found out he existed, it would be the biggest thing that ever happened in human history.  It falls into that idea of trying to humanize the inhuman.  He's made out of steel, he's not made out of flesh, metaphorically speaking.  We are portraying him as a man, yet he's not a man."

Magegg

Magegg

Considering how good writer Goyer is, I doubt anything about what he said would actually appear on screen  ::)

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Then focus on the trailers.
It's all "Why am I here?" and "You're the answer to are we alone in the universe" and "I'm General Zod, broadcasting live to Nasa or some guys" and "he looks like you but he isn't you" and the military and "it's not an S" and space ships and then there's the article stuff that isn't in the trailers like "he's a baby who wasn't genetically engineered" and "Kyrpton is scienced to the max, man" and and and

point is. Him being an alien is not just an excuse to have him be a superhero anymore, as it sort of was in the original movies. It's more integral.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed