Are you a Nerd or Fan?

Started by The Unknown, Sep 22, 2007, 06:37:26 PM

Which category would you consider yourself. An Alien/Predator NERD or fan?

Nerd
11 (39.3%)
Fan
17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author
Are you a Nerd or Fan? (Read 1,985 times)

Anomaly

Anomaly

I think Sil in another thread raised an interesting topic.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 20, 2007, 08:53:11 AM
Pfft, anybody who posts here would be living a lie if they said they weren't part nerd

I consider a nerd someone who would show up at a premiere in a costume worth thousands of dollars lol (Star Wars type of guys, and yes some alien and predator fans) or someone who has waaay too much memorabilia.

Or someone who gets spastic with the details of a saga. For instance, there are folks online that have these strange expanded universe ideas or source material issues that cause arguments. I feel theres having a perspective of a good film like any of the great critics out there and then theres above and beyond which usually can be found online (yuck).

At what point does someone cease being a fan and become a nerd?

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

We're all of us nerds to some degree.  You're kidding yourself if you don't think so.

...Cue people talking up their lives, mentioning girlfriends, jobs, military careers...as though those things invalidate having nerd tendencies.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Disturbingly obsessed would be dressing as Jedi to the premiere. Otherwise, you're still a nerd. Fan by definition means fanatic so...

Noir-Gojira

Noir-Gojira

Courtesy of Dr. Seuss

In my philosophy, nerds generally have the distinction of possessing and employing some level of intelligence(if not common sense) from time to time.  Lacking that, they are mere geeks. 

War Wager

War Wager

I must be a nerd then!  :P

Daweism

Daweism

Put it this way.

If I had a good paying job say anything above $80,000 a year, I would definitely have a shit load of collectibles and some crazy costumes, but I dunno about wearing it to a premiere more like for Halloween or Comicon.

BUt I make like $2,000 a month so I can barely afford shit and I go to school so I would be a fan at the moment, but nerd within.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

I'm just a super hardcore fan.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I would call myself a fan. I don't own much in terms of merchandise, but I do like the films and concepts. I don't know if I'm a nerd. Logic is something the collective determines and it would be pompous to call everything I have to say about the two creatures determined strictly by logic.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Sep 22, 2007, 06:44:47 PM
We're all of us nerds to some degree.  You're kidding yourself if you don't think so.

...Cue people talking up their lives, mentioning girlfriends, jobs, military careers...as though those things invalidate having nerd tendencies.  :)

Yeah but 'geek' has gone pretty mainstream now.  I've seen a lot of geeks who have pretty regular lives but still dress up as jedis to premieres and such.  Some of them even have pretty hot girlfriends.

Anyway, I'm probably about half and half.  :P

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

I'm not a nerd but I am geeky when it comes to the Alien or Predator franchise.  To be honest I don't even know the difference between nerds and geeks, being geeky just seems to be more socially acceptable.

Munkeywrench

Munkeywrench

I consider myself both Im a big Fan of all things alien and predator and Im probably the biggest Nerd on this site ;D

ShadowXeno

ShadowXeno

I think of myself as a HUGE fan. I'm no nerd that collects every single Alien/Predator thing. All I own are the first 3 Alien movies on DVD, Both Pred movies on DVD, AvP on DVD, AvP: Extinction and Predator: Concrete Jungle for the PS2, and AvP2 Primal Hunt for PC. And by the way, the DVDs were the reason why I like Aliens and Preds so I wouldn't count them as something I bought as a fanatic.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Sep 23, 2007, 02:49:52 AM
I'm not a nerd but I am geeky when it comes to the Alien or Predator franchise.  To be honest I don't even know the difference between nerds and geeks, being geeky just seems to be more socially acceptable.

Nerds are more academic in their interests.  Like they would be more into science, maths, computers, etc.  Geeks have passionate interests in stuff like fandom, literature, movies, video games, etc.  I'm about 50/50 nerd/geek.  :P

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

A fan if you like the films as films
A nerd if you like the little details and memorise Ripley's serial number and complain how the new alien isn't by Giger.

Vader the White

Vader the White

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 22, 2007, 06:48:12 PM
Disturbingly obsessed would be dressing as Jedi to the premiere.
I actually did that for AOTC. And brought a saber to III.

Personally, I'm a nerd in general and a fan to AVP. A nerd is different than being a fan.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed