Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 187,682 times)

SM

QuoteGod's mercy on us all. By the way, does anyone have any ideas on who would make a good Hicks, were Aliens 2 to be made?

Michael Biehn.

Space Invader

Hope they let Ridley Scott finish his Alien prequels with 1 more movie. After that, they can start afresh, just don't remake Alien or Aliens.

Scorpio

"Bought out by Walmart Disney"

Huggs

"Michael Biehn"

There can and never will be another Michael Biehn....ever. But I honestly am curious who they might pick if they wanted to continue the character at the age they left him in Aliens. Should they decide to retcon Alien 3 that is.

Romansky

DaddyYautja

Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 14, 2017, 11:22:28 PM
I'm amazed at all of the negative feedback on here. How can you give up on these franchise just because Disney has bought out Fox. I mean c'mon! Fox had their chance and they've bungled things for decades. The Alien and Predator franchises have had no clear direction. No end game  and certainly no continuity. I know not everyone is a fan of the " new Star Wars " films but look at what Disney has done for the franchise! It's bigger and better than ever! We have Star Wars coming out of our ears. Just imagine what the Disney machine can do for Alien or Predator.  I'm excited what the future holds in store for us!

Disney hasnt done anything except push out movie on top of movie without giving the world room to breathe.

And this is because they want their money back asap. So we ended up with one remake of Ep4, a movie that didnt need to be made, and now a crappy SW film.

I guess you can consider this the norm for these two franchises. Still, i dont want to see this done to them just so they can recoup their cash ASAP.

monkeylove

One reason why producers focus on a PG rating is because that's the sweet spot for tent-poles. They may take risks, though, as seen in Deadpool, Mad Mad: Fury Road, and now plans for a Trek film to be directed by Tarantino.

Thus, if future Alien movies aren't R-rated, it's probably not just because of Disney but because R-ratings might not allow for maximization of profits.

Local Trouble

Disney ain't just for kids anymore.  Hell, they released The Black Hole the same year as Alien and was creepy as f**k for a kids movie.  I bet SM dug it too.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 14, 2017, 10:59:17 PMI'd rather donate 200 million dollars to ISIS than giving one cent to Neil Hackkamp. You'd probably get Aliens 2 except the colonial marines now ally with Chappie to fight against both xenomorphs and Weyland Yutani androids.

Exaggerate much?
Your idea sounds entertaining btw. I'd watch it.
I'd love to see some Blomkamp-style robots thrown into the mix.

windebieste

'The Black Hole' was a direct response to 'Star Wars'.

Back then, Disney Studios were in trouble.  'Star Wars' was a megahit and Disney's animation studios - the mainstay entertainment branch for the company was failing.  Badly.  Disney figured in order to survive they should cash in on the whole Space Action genre, hence, 'The Black Hole'.

During this period of the early 1980's Disney struggled.  A lot.  During this period they made some of their most interesting movies because they were hungry to break out into new territory.  'TRON' and 'Dragonslayer' (with Paramount) were also made during this time.  'Dragonslayer' is a particularly meaty movie - and one of Disney's boldest ever.  We witness virgin sacrifices to a genuinely frightening dragon and the story's princess gets eaten by dragon hatchlings.  It's bloody, too. 

EATEN!  We witness her remains surrounded by ugly toadlike dragon hatchlings.  Disney has never matched that scene - and it was a kid's movie, too!

Disney will never badge movies like this again with their own name.   

They are now entrenched in producing average, crowd pleasing popcorn entertainment of the lowest common denominator.  There's no meat in a Disney production.  It's all sugar and syrup for the masses - and the easily entertained who have been doped up on formula of spectacle without content, culminating in the endless string of banal MCU movies that are all exactly alike.  It makes money - but it's still shit.

It's like McDonalds and Coca Cola - just because it's popular, doesn't mean it's any good.  Shit is still shit no matter how sweet it tastes.

Disney will never make anything bold.  ...or challenging.  Ever again.   It will be safe and have wide appeal.  Saturday audiences will lap it up like a fireworks display - but the spectacle is shallow and the story non-existent.  Disney makes money.  But it does so by selling shit to audiences eager to lap up easy entertainment laced with sugar - and nothing else.

Besides, if 'The Black Hole' was actually any good, why was there never a sequel..?  It was always Disney's own property yet it never really went anywhere beyond 1 movie.

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

The 70s and 80s were a different era.  You could get away with some violence, gore and even nudity in PG movies (case in point Gremlins, Clash of the Titans and Raiders of the Lost Ark).  The kids movies back then didn't have big budget cgi effects, they had to rely mostly on imagination.

Now it's all about safe, dumbed down entertainment for the masses.  The newest Star Wars film is a prime example of that.  Like a two and half hour toy commercial.

windebieste

Yeah. That, too.

-Windebieste.

BlackMatter169

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 15, 2017, 01:10:42 AM
"Michael Biehn"

There can and never will be another Michael Biehn....ever. But I honestly am curious who they might pick if they wanted to continue the character at the age they left him in Aliens. Should they decide to retcon Alien 3 that is.

My vote would be for Stebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes from the Captain America movies), dude looks similar and is a fairly solid actor as well.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 15, 2017, 03:45:21 AM
Disney ain't just for kids anymore.  Hell, they released The Black Hole the same year as Alien and was creepy as f**k for a kids movie.  I bet SM dug it too.

Shit yeah. It was generally dopey as, but there was some stuff definitely not for the young 'uns.

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Dec 15, 2017, 02:13:42 AM
Quote from: GreybackElder on Dec 14, 2017, 11:22:28 PM
I'm amazed at all of the negative feedback on here. How can you give up on these franchise just because Disney has bought out Fox. I mean c'mon! Fox had their chance and they've bungled things for decades. The Alien and Predator franchises have had no clear direction. No end game  and certainly no continuity. I know not everyone is a fan of the " new Star Wars " films but look at what Disney has done for the franchise! It's bigger and better than ever! We have Star Wars coming out of our ears. Just imagine what the Disney machine can do for Alien or Predator.  I'm excited what the future holds in store for us!

Disney hasnt done anything except push out movie on top of movie without giving the world room to breathe.

And this is because they want their money back asap. So we ended up with one remake of Ep4, a movie that didnt need to be made, and now a crappy SW film.

I guess you can consider this the norm for these two franchises. Still, i dont want to see this done to them just so they can recoup their cash ASAP.

Looking at the reviews and box office, the world doesn't want to breathe.

Local Trouble

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 15, 2017, 04:38:25 AM
Besides, if 'The Black Hole' was actually any good, why was there never a sequel..?  It was always Disney's own property yet it never really went anywhere beyond 1 movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed